S2400 / Turntable Stand

Hey everyone. I am searching for a more permanent solution to keep a single Technics 1200 MK2 connected to my S2400. My current problem is that the S2400 is on the corner of my desk to the left and I don’t have anywhere near it to place a turntable. I started thinking about a stand or some way to stack the two with a shelf. I’m just not sure what to do and I thought why not ask here. I see cool stands like Alex Ball uses, but no one ever really talks about what they are or where to find them. I could make something out of wood even. Links, other forum sites, pictures, or descriptions are welcome. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2 Likes

@alexballmusic help our dear mate! Tell everyone about your magic stand

I have my S2400 sitting on an Amazon Basics laptop stand. It’s super sturdy and even lets you angle it towards yourself which is awesome. It feels super solid in my setup.

I would imagine that a turntable might fit on it too. A turntable will likely be bigger and have feet, but you could take the feet off the turntable and add some velcro strips to keep it in place and secure it to the stand. That way your turntable can be anywhere in the room (as long as your cables are long enough).

2 Likes

I use lots of hockey pucks to stack gear. here’s some examples…. notice how easily cables can be weaved in between…

4 Likes

Another Option to utilize the corner space… My turntable is under the desk…

2 Likes

How do you use your turn table? I had mine stored under my desk but used to scratch my records by accident sometimes when I used it.

I tried a bunch of different solutions and stands until I just got fed up and had a kid with my wife.

My son works great. He just stands perfectly straight and holds the 2400 up while I play.

Ultra portable too. I’ve found that if I take away his Nintendo switch, he sits on the floor crying. It’s perfect height for a DAWless hippy jam in the backyard.

Best thing about using your kid as a sampler stand is the haptic feedback. When I’m really beating on the pads, he sort flinches and winces to the beat. It’s light years ahead of my PS5 controller.

Try it out. Mine is 6 years old and works better than the day I got it. Sometimes I need to smack it once or twice like an old tv to get it to work but otherwise, it’s the best way to hold your 2400.

6 Likes

A little DIY but I have taken feet off of my 2400 and attached a piece of plywood to the bottom using the screw holes. The wood is attached to a computer monitor arm. Would be amazing if there was a VESA mount - perhaps there is a better solution than plywood out there. The really great thing is it works if I want to stand or sit and I can tilt it from vertical to horizontal depending on the situation. The only issue I don’t love is that drumming on the pad does create some minor bouncing but in practice it really hasn’t been an issue.

10 Likes

I should mention that I have my turntable on a very similar stand so I can keep it out of the way until needed. I don’t have it connected directly to my S2400 though. Everything goes into my mixers and when I want to sample something I bus it over to the S2400.

1 Like

How do you use your turn table?

I plan to just sample pieces from a lot of old vinyl. You know, the usual stuff plus some of the old drum n bass records I have from the 90s. I used to DJ so I have 2 1200 mk2s. I just want one turntable connected and I don’t really plan to DJ on them anymore.

My problem right now is that it becomes such a task to hook it up and place it somewhere that I just don’t do it. I know that once I have it permanently connected, I will grab some vinyl from time to time to work with.

Thanks for all of those suggestions today. I realized when I saw the first picture that I should have went over to the thread where people show off their studio setups. But it is really cool to see some of the ideas like the hockey pucks or @ScottBrio with the big ass clamp headphone holder.

I wound up ordering one of the tripod type laptop stands tall enough to sit even with the monitor shelf on my desk. I think I can find a way to get the turntable positioned in a little nook that I have up there (half on the shelf and half on the laptop stand).

Once I get it together, I’ll post a picture.

1 Like

The clamp headphone holders are clutch! You can clamp them anywhere :smile:

I have one of these clamp laptop stands that holds my Ableton Push 2. You can extend them and swivel them around so they’re super flexible. It might work for a lighter turntable too.

I’m glad you found a solution for your setup! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Here is what I was up to and why I asked. Notice the very tall laptop stand under the left feet of the turntable. Now I have to get over my fear that it is going to collapse at any minute and just slide off into the floor.

3 Likes

That compressor :star_struck:

2 Likes

I’m curious about that stand that Alex Ball uses as well. I’ve been having trouble finding something that can accommodate like 4-5 different drum machines in a neat and accessible way. Mostly because of a lack of space in my situation.

omg that turntable set up makes me nervous AF, good luck!

Technics turntables are heavy so except if there is an earthquake it won’t probably fall or slide.
Nowhere else in the room to setup it properly? For example, on top of the furniture you store vinyl records and far from the speakers?
Not sure a stand is something good. It probably transmits vibrations easily.

Nowhere else in the room to setup it properly? For example, on top of the furniture you store vinyl records and far from the speakers?

I hear you and all, but there really isn’t. It’s not that big of a room for one thing. My records are actually stored in 8 cubby holes that are built into the wall behind my desk. There was an extended period of time where I didn’t have any turntables set up at all. I used to have the pair of them in the space where the racks are on my desk (where the Orbit and Morpheus are at behind the S2400 - one on each side.) I started getting some rack mount gear and the turntables went away and now I am trying to just sample off of that one. Generally the volume is pretty low if I am doing that. The rest of my studio has a fairly sizable eurorack modular, a few keyboards and a bookcase. I honestly should sell some stuff, but I don’t really want to.

1 Like

Omnirax Might sell something your looking for

1 Like

Omnirax Might sell something your looking for

I checked it out and you are right, they have lots of things I am looking for. A bit expensive though. It did make me start thinking about a custom desk though or even just custom rack cabinets to go under a desk. I might look more into building some stuff like that. I have a table saw and some basic woodworking tools.