Sound output problem when trying to sample from my turntable

Hey, y’all.

I have just received my SP2400 and was excited to try and sample from my turntable to make some music but when I everything I could connected and set the needle on the record, the sound came out extremely blown out sounding like the gain and volume were both turned up to 100%. I have an Audio-Technica turntable that has rca (red and white) cables that I connected into the Phono 1 ports and have a 1/4” jack to rca connected to the mix out port and to my Edifier speakers. I don’t have an SD card to save stuff yet so all I can do is sample but again, it is all blown out. If I can I will attach the video via iCloud link to show you and if you can watch it, please oh please help me. I am ready to make some music, yo.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0RoEVkCSDVDfH-_T83TdQ1mnA#Safford

Is your S2400 running the latest version? I ask because your display shows different info than the display shown in the current manual on page 59. In any case, one thing to troubleshoot first is to see if the problem is on the input or on the output, so take your speakers out of the equation: does this sample input sound this way on the headphones? If headphones are clean, then you have some kind of level mis-match from the output of the 2400 to your speakers, I might guess. If the problem is present on the headphones then it is more likely an input issue, and you might want to verify that you are not increasing the gain on the phono inputs (though it looked like it was at x1). One other thing: it looked like maybe you did not connect the ground wire from your turntable to the ground lug on the 2400? Verify that. Review the video manuals and hard copy manual too - you may be missing a setup setting.

Good luck - keep us posted.

1 Like

Thanks much, yo. I do not have headphones so I do not know the difference. What settings would that be to set? Also, where do I go to update the software? Do I need an SD card in order to update it?

Firmware update info is on the ISLA website under Support:

Maybe you can borrow some phones from someone to check that headphone output on the front of the 2400? Yes, you’ll need an SD card (instructions for updating are also on the website). And check that ground cable from the turntable!

And one more thing: check the trimmer pot on the back of the 2400 by the input, make sure it’s not overcranked.

1 Like

Alright. Thanks, yo. Yeah when I would have the record play out with its blown out sound, I would play with the trim knob and it doesn’t really change much. What would be good 6.35mm headphones I can get from Amazon?

I use these for work, so I’m quite used to them, but as soon as I recommend them I’ll get flamed by folks who like other kinds of headphones better! This is a very personal choice, not unlike underwear! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks, yo. I’ve never owned any before so this could be good.

1 Like

Great headphones, btw.

1 Like

Are you double phono preamping the signal? Your turntable has its’ own phono preamp and by going into the phono inputs, you’d be boosting it twice. Check the turntable for the switch to bypass the preamp, it says line/phono. Or try the regular line inputs on the S2400 instead. You’d need adapters to go from RCA to TS though.

2 Likes

I had the same problem with my Audio Technica, freaked me out for a bit. You need to turn off the turntables internal preamp, there should be a little black switch on the back by the power cord. Try that and let us know.

2 Likes

yup. I was just about to say that audio technica deck probably has a built in RIAA pre-amp.
Better to use the phono pre-amp built into the S2400, I really didn’t skimp on it, and AT probably did on theirs.

7 Likes

How did you hear it on your speakers? I turned the switch to preamp on my Audio Technica but there is no sound from the speakers.

Seriously, what the freak do I do?! I switched the preamp switch to phono but now I can’t hear anything from my speakers. Please help me!

What do I do?! Preamp switch is turned to phono but now I can’t hear through my speakers and this is frustrating.

Ok. A good technique and this level of frustration is to disconnect and reconnect everything with purpose.

1. Plug your s2400 in to whatever you are using to monitor. Load a factory sound. Play from a pad and confirm you can hear if.
  2. On your turntable - turn the preamp OFF
  3. Connect to the Isla via the phono jacks (to use the s2400 preamps)
  4. Adjust the input trim so that its about half way
  5. Test incoming audio. If you hear audio / see meter adjust input trim to desired level

—-> if you don’t hear audio. We need to determine if your turntables settings are the issue.

1. Plug your s2400 in to whatever you are using to monitor. Load a factory sound. Play from a pad and confirm you can hear if.
  2. On your turntable - turn the preamp ON
  3. Connect to the Isla via the Input jacks (to bypass the s2400 preamps)
  4. Adjust the input trim so that its about half way
  5. Test incoming audio. If you hear audio / see meter adjust input trim to desired level

—-> if neither works. Plug your turntable into another audio device. Confirm you are getting audio. Let us know what you are plugging into (ie: a DJ mixer, etc) so we can determine what’s going on with the turntables internal preamp. This is 99% likely to be a configuration issue, but the next likely culprit is something with the turntables preamp based on what we know so far.

• Connect your record player to PHONO 1 input.
  • Turn the trim pot (on the rear) about half way.
  • On S2400 Press SHIFT + Input Mon.
  • Make Sure analog input is checked
  • Select Phono 1 as the source
  • You’ll then hear the sound your record player is outputting.
  • Trim the back knob to suit.

Download and study the manual. :slight_smile:

It didn’t work and I don’t even have a dj mixer so….I don’t freaking know what to do. The only way I know is to get headphones and hear that way.

Hi.

Can you tell us your connections, actions, and results in the format Brad or I use above.

I’m sure we can help you figure this out

IE: connected audio technics rca output info s2400 input 1
Turned audio technica internal preamp off.
Etc

Do you have any other way of testing audio from this turntable available to you? (Besides headphones)?

For my connection, I have it connected from Audio Technica turntable phono rca ports to SP2400 phono input 1 with the ground cable connected and with the preamp switch switched to phono. I have Edifier speakers that only have rca phono ports and so I have rca to 1/4” jack connected from speaker to one mix out port on SP2400.

I only have these speakers and no mixer or amplifier.

Ok.
Just to confirm - you have done this?

• Turn the trim pot (on the rear) about half way.
  • On S2400 Press SHIFT + Input Mon.
  • Make Sure analog input is checked
  • Select Phono 1 as the source

Still no sound?

Can you check that the Master Volume and Mix out volume and s2400 volume are turned up high?
Do the Edifer speakers have a volume control?

—>

If still no sound.

1. Can you connect the turntable directly to the speakers?
  2. Turn the phono preamp ON
  3. Do you get sound this way?