Sound output problem when trying to sample from my turntable

How am I gonna sample if I have my turntable connected to speakers?

Also I discovered this:

I am asking you to do this NOT to sample, but so we can identify where things are going wrong.

If you do it - we have a chance of finding out if the problem is with either:

1. The turntable
  2. The cables
  3. The preamp (or more specifically - when the preamp is off).

So, if you want help troubleshooting - can you help us isolate and identify the problem?

If you DO hear music fine, it would confirm the cable is ok, and the turntable is ok when the preamp is turned on. This would then lead us to trying to test on the s2400 (with the preamp ON through the 1/4" inputs)

Let us know how it goes!

Re: your image - are you showing us the Xenyx mixer?
If you can connect your turntable directly to the speakers we don’t need it.

1 Like

I just watched your video.
Everything is working as it should.
If you want to also hear the record while you are sampling then turn on monitor while sampling.
That option is in the input Mon menu.

Buddy, this is all in the manual it will ease your frustrations if you read it.

3 Likes

Word is bond, yo.

I figured it out and and as you said, I needed the monitoring while sampling checked.

The new problem I came across is trying to make a song with samples I put into the SP2400. I’m trying to get to know this thing by putting together some samples as a song but they just won’t add when I record.

And when I bank to bank B to add a sample to add to the song, bank B chokes bank A’s samples. Idk what it is.

Also, am able to copy from one pad to another? For example A1’s sample to A2?

If you’ve got a sample playing on A1 and you play B1, they will be on the same channel 1 by default, so they will choke each other. So you either need to change one of them to another channel in the track settings, or use a different pad on a different channel.

Yes, that’s under the track settings too - ‘organize tracks’. F2 will copy a track. But watch out because it’s easy to overwrite a track by accident with the copy as I have done several times. Like I’ve had a sample on A1 and drums on A2, went to make a copy of A1 and it overwrote what I had on A2. I should have moved A2 down to A3 or something first.

All this stuff should be in the manual, though I haven’t needed it for any of this. Pressing 0 for help on every screen that might be relevant to what I want to do is usually all that’s needed.

1 Like

Hey @DaroneDiamonds for real- this machine is deep. I think we are all happy to help you out but do check out the video manual and or paper manual. It will make your life much easier, and Alex is a master at making edutainment videos.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your guy’s help. Forgive me y’all also for getting frustrated.

3 Likes

I’m getting more in tune with my SP2400 but I have run in to some confusion:

How do I save my song into my DAW so that I can equalize it and release it?

You can either record the outputs with a USB interface, or use the USB output of the S2400 to record into a DAW using Input Monitor > Output to USB Mix. It can be a complicated thing to get setup properly in Windows but I managed it eventually.

Save the song on the Sd card and inport them into the daw from the card.

Not really a single right or wrong way. Depending on how you created your song and how you want to produce the track, you can use some or all of the following techniques.

1. record the entire track from the main stereo out from the s2400
  2. record the individual outs into your daw
  3. use mute solo to isolate parts and record them through the mains or individual outs

If you want to build the song arrangement with song mode you can do that and record it into a daw for mastering. I personally don’t use song mode on the 2400 (or sp-1200 when I had it or sp-16) and use ableton like another sampler to record individual parts from patterns so I can arrange and mix them there. This isn’t because I don’t like the 2400 song mode I just like the flexibility of using ableton to arrange and edit. However that is personal preference and there are several folks here that work DAWless and make great tracks. What did/do you use currently to make tracks without the 2400?

I use Reason 11. I just want to know how to record it into my DAW to be able to equalize and compress to make it clean.

Any of the techniques I mention above will work. There’s many ways to get great results, and reason has plenty of processors to do what you need.

1 Like

Haven’t figured it out but I have a question for Rob:

When you created the SP2400, did you have an intention to recreate the SP1200’s gritty bit crushing sound in the tune section? Also, is there a way to get it fully raw with the 12-bit bit crushing sound in tune to make it sound like the original?

Start here:
https://islainstruments.com/files/S2400_User_Manual_2021-08-12.pdf#page=60

If you have files that were recorded in hi fi mode or on some other source, check out the next page. Additionally, you can get some in-between level grit by just using the ‘Classic’ Audio engine which will change the interpolation to the classic drop sample ringy type even on 16/44.1 or 48khz files.

1 Like

Rob didn’t create the S2400 Brad Holland did. And Yes that was the intention. You can record at 45 and drop it to 33 just like they used to do it. Or you can do that within the machine itself via resample. I think you need to RTFM and watch the videos.

1 Like

Just to add to what @StupidAmericanPig and @iofflight have said…

There are a number of things you need to do to get close to the SP1200 grit.

• sample sounds using Line 1&2 or Phono 1&2 26kHz 12bit mode, not any other
  • if you do use WAVs or sample at 48kHz, use the Resample function afterwards
  • enable Classic audio engine mode (for aliasing on pitch shifting)
  • enable the analog filters (Effect page)
  • employ the classic 33rpm/45rpm trick when sampling - or use the Resample function to fake it

All of this adds up. The S2400 isn’t a SP1200 clone, so it’ll never sound identical, but a lot of people who claim it doesn’t sound close miss some important steps. It can, and does, sound close if you’re careful with what functions and features you use.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

5 Likes