Quantize is real-time ?!

I don’t think it does🤔

1 Like

Mine does anyway, try it out!

Mine doesn’t.

1 Like

Interesting - newest firmware? Maybe I’ll make a video. Can @Mickey weigh in on whether this is intended behaviour?

Video here:

Recording into a blank sequence. Quantize is set to 1/8 to make the issue very obvious. Feels like a bug to me, makes the machine pretty much un-useable with any kind of quantize turned on.

2 Likes

Something’s wrong.
Open a ticket.

1 Like

Thanks, good idea. Can anyone else reading this confirm whether or not their machine has this same behaviour?

If it’s a bug, it needs to be reported in the bug reports forum. Support tickets are for general questions/hardware or shipping issues and the like. The dev team and beta testing team don’t have access and won’t see it if you raise a ticket but they will see it in the bug reports forum.

3 Likes

Moved to Bug Reports

3 Likes

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply, I posted it in bug reports but Mickey moved it to feature requests and has yet to comment on it. Looks like SAP has just moved it back to bugs. Thanks all.

1 Like

I’ve had that happening, but doesn’t happen regularly.

1 Like

Just catch it happening again. Don’t think it’s intended to work like this?

Same problem but with swing.

2 Likes

Yeah it happens every time on mine. If you set the quantize to 1/4 and then try to play in those 8ths or some 16ths you’ll really notice it trying to quantize them as you play.

I think you’re right, this is how it works all the time.

1 Like

Mine have done same thing few times. Its unusable for recording. I hope it will be fixed soon.

1 Like

God damn. I thought I was losing my mind! This happens to me too. Completely unusable. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

1 Like

No word from isla-people on this? Will they fix this or is it really how they want it to work?

Okay. Enough with the “it does that for me too” posts. It does that. For everybody.

Yes. Quantize is real-time.

When recording a pad press, if the time is quantized in the past (would have already played) then the sound is played immediately. If the sound is quantized into the future, then it plays when at the correct time, the same time that it will play when the pattern is played back. The reasoning was that when you record, it will sound more like when it is played back.

I realize that is not how most machines do it. It is apparently not the improvement I thought it was. It can be changed.

4 Likes

Thanks for clearing up the confusion! :slight_smile: Maybe add an option to turn real time quantize off and just have the quantize setting applied when pattern is repeated as a solution.

I can see the use of the current real time quantize in live situations though, when you really want it to be tight during recording that the audience also hear.

But as mentioned by someone above, I agree that it takes away some of the connection to the instrument when it doesn’t respond to pad hits as you play them.

1 Like

Hey Mickey, thanks for clearing that up. I really appreciate all the work you continue to pour into this beast, and I only comment as I want to help make sure this one is a certified classic when the final firmware is released. With that said, this one is not an improvement, please change this. Any pad hit (other than holding/locking tap-repeat to enter quantized stuff) should spit the sound out as quickly as is technically possible, to preserve the feeling that this is machine is an instrument. :heart:

3 Likes