Possible to midi trigger multi-mode pads?

Is it currently possible to trigger multi-mode pads with midi (I couldn’t figure out how)? If not, this would be a great feature-- something like slide/notes mode where next 8 notes trigger the different multi-mode pads. Would be awesome to use a bunch of multi-mode pads when sequencing externally (e.g. variation to HH).

I believe you can achieve pretty much anything you could do with multi-mode with standard midi commands. For example, you can send volume change commands, sample start-point change commands, and pitch change commands simultaneously and on a per-sample basis via midi. Multi-mode is used to allow more pads on the S2400 to be utilized on a single sample, but this functionality should not really be necessary when using external control (assuminig you have either a midi controller, computer program, or midi box that allows similar flexibility).

Someone let me know if I have missed something here!

I get what you are saying, but waaaay easier to set up 8 multi-mode pads and just trigger them with notes. Most of my sequencers have limited mod lanes for ccs so I’d probably only be able to modify one maybe two parameters per step. I think it would be convenient via midi for the same reason it is convenient when recording on the 2400 itself.

1 Like

Yes you can do it. Change the midi mode under track settings (page 74 of manual) to trigger slices from an external keyboard or sequencer

That only triggers slices (or equally sized chunks if no slices are defined)-- not the multi-mode pads.

Sorry yeah, that’s what I thought you meant (technically slices are still multi-mode pads).

What about multi-mode sync? Copy the same HH slice on every multi-pad but alter pitch, level, envelope, and filter for each pad. That’s 9 pads of HH variation

Yeah, that’s not a bad idea. I rarely need all 16 voices anyways.

if it helps.

You’re not losing any polyphony or sample tracks, as far as I’m aware.

Guess I am not following you. If I use “standard” multi-mode, I can’t trigger each multi-mode pad with midi independantly. If I duplicate a track several times to alter it’s parameters (and subsequently be able to trigger them with midi), I am consuming tracks from the 16 total.

The feature ask is for a new midi track mode (similar to slice/note) that will trigger the multi-mode pads via midi notes.

With multi-mode sync you get 8 multi pads+main pad each with a different level, pitch, envelope and filter. You can have the same loop/slice copied on all those 9 pads each with different parameters. That’s plenty of variation for percussion and you definitely don’t need to duplicate tracks to do it, and they can all be triggered by midi notes.

But yeah if you needed more variation than that, you could copy to a new track and repeat, but you have 32 not 16.

Haha yes, I completely understand all that. My request is to trigger those multi-mode pads via MIDI and an external sequencer. Something that can not be done currently.

I’ve raised this question before, and it was also discussed here Multi Mode Slice & Midi - #7 by Bram, not sure if any of that is useful!

1 Like

That should be useful, since the complete solution is given in that other thread (by @Frostyjohnson). I had not tried it out before, but I works real nice with my launchpad.

1 Like

I don’t think we are talking about the same things. Triggering slices 1-8 by midi is clearly detailed in the manual and the thread linked above. Adjusting things like envelope attack, filter, etc. via CC is also clearly described in the manual.

What I am after is triggering (via midi) different multi-mode (sync’d or regular) pads of one sample/track. This is currently not possible.

For example: I want to take a single HH sample on one tracke, set up 8 multi-mode pads with varying pitches, levels, etc., and trigger those multi-mode pads from an external sequencer.

(I already typed this all out so im just gonna leave it here in case) I would need to try it out, but if everything is set up on the machine with multi mode sync, i dont see how it would make a difference triggering them from an external sequencer.

I was doing mine with an mpc2000xl, just on multi slice, (but again it should work the same with multi mode sync enabled). The lowest note it sends is 35, so when mapping out the notes on the s2400 (with tracks set to slice/note mode in the midi section of track settings(which is going to take up 9 midi notes per track, 1 for the root and 8 for the multis)) track A1=35, then 36-43 would be for the multi slices. Then A2 would be 44 and so on. Then on the mpc, A1-A8=36-43, A9-A16=45-52, etc. This way on bank a on the mpc i have the eight multi-mode slices for track 1 on pads 1-8, same for track 2 with pads 9-16.

*Or are you trying to switch between modes from the external sequencer? Like unlinked, go from envelope to pitch multi mode? Or adjust the parameters for the different modes without actually entering them on the 2400? That would be cool, but i feel like it would be impossible without conflicting notes/ccs, etc, but what i typed above is about the full extent of my technical knowledge, so i cant say for sure.

1 Like

It does not work the same as triggering slices with midi using the 8 notes above the base midi note defined for the track.

If you turn on multi-mode, set each multi-mode pad to a different pitch (for example) and then try and trigger those pads with the 8 midi notes, it will NOT trigger the mutli-mode pads. Instead, it will trigger a slice depending on which note you sent. Since there are no slices defined for the sample, it will equally divide up the sample in eighths and play whichever slice corresponds to the note you sent.

Again, to be clear, using the 8 midi notes in slice/note mode does not trigger the mutli-mode pads. There is currently no way to do this by midi.

Yeah it makes sense.

The request is to trigger all the multi mode pads via midi note and not be limited to just triggering multi-slices.

8 x Level
8 x Pitch
8 x Envelope

It’s quick and intuitive to set those up and would be handy to play from an external controller, just like slices are.

I get what you mean now. In the example of a one shot high hat, could you just set all multi slices to the full sample, multi sync pitch and level and go from there?

So yeah, it works only for multi mode sync enabled use cases. And level is not functional, since it is overruled by velocity.

But I still don’t know what you want to achieve (@vanderwoudeandy). Your use case with the one shot hihat can be done. Only the level will not work. But pitch, envelope and slice (you want all slices to be set to full length) can be set independently and will be the same whether triggered from the s24 or by external midi.

If you want it to work for sync disabled use cases too (like in the comment of @project95), just create a feature request. But I am not convinced that is what you really want, since you write that the hihat use case is not possible (while it is).

He said he completely understands how multi-mode sync works, so I’m guessing 9 pads of filter, pitch, level and envelope varied hats isn’t enough