Multi-Mode suggestion

I use Multi-Mode a lot. LIke any time I make a track, it’s always used, especially with Loop/Slice. For the most part, Multi Mode Loop/Slice works fantastic, and I use it pretty much always now for chopping up longer samples. My big issue with it however, is that I can play one slice at a time. Say I have slices on pads 2, 4, and 7, and I want them to each flow into one another. Well I can’t. I push pad 2, and then when I press pad 4, pad 2 gets cut off.

I’m sure this is something that everyone knows at this point, and for the most part I can deal with it, but lately with the tracks I have tried to make this limitation gets particularly frustrating. I know I can just save the slices onto individual pads and then play them from there, but then I end up taking up like 3-6 tracks for something that should be able to be done with only ONE.

Anyways my suggestion is simple: Polyphonic Multi-Mode! Playing multiple multis at the same time without interruption. Not only would this solve the issue completely, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You can recreate a whole drum groove on a single track without any weird pauses or breaks, you could create chords with a single note sample on a single track with a polyphonic Multi-Mode Pitch, and sample chopping with Multi Loop/Slice would be much more convienent as you could make your slices and play/record them back the way you want them RIGHT THERE rather than having to keep saving small slices to various tracks to try to figure out how you want your beat to flow.

I know the S2400 can’t do everything, and that it has to have SOME limitations to force that good ol’ creativity. But in my opinion, the fact that Multi-Mode currently is only monophonic seems like an unneccesary limitation that doesn’t provide any real benefits beyond slight frustration(this is just my own PERSONAL take, i’m sure others have found decent workarounds).

I also feel like by having the Multi-Modes be polyphonic instead, it offers more creativity as you could then create complex arrangements on the S2400 that either A: you couldn’t do entirely for whatever reason, B: took up too much track space, C: took a considerable amount of time/just generally tedious. With Polyphonic Multi-Modes, I’d argue you could create more intricate arrangements at a much faster pace than before.

I’m sorry that this is such a long rant, but it’s just that the monophonic Multi-Mode is my biggest gripe with the machine as of right now, and it’s the only real limitation on the machine that actively frustrates me whenever I come across it. I just feel like Multi-Mode has so much potential, and it being polyphonic would be a giant step forward to making it even greater than it already is.

(TL;DR: Make Multi-Mode polyphonic, so you can play more than just one multi at a time without the multis choking each other)

4 Likes

Or just in general, regardless of multimode, to have the option for a sample/track to overlap on one output channel. You may run out of polyphony quickly though.

1 Like

I hope we’ll see more voices in the future and have an option for multi modes to be polyphonic.

Would love to sample stuff and play chords!!

3 Likes

A bunch of us have mentioned this already, would be nice ya.

How about assigning a new copy of the sample to a new track and using multi-mode on both? Need more? Assign another copy to third track, slice it up … repeat.

I had a bit of an idea regarding polyphonic output actually, not sure if it has been thought of or discussed before, so apologies if this has already been nope’d for whatever reason.

Why not make the main outputs assignable, since they are clearly polyphonic. You would also then gain 2 additional outputs, which are already sitting there, unused if like me you are using 8 outs. You could make them hard pan-able/ channel selectable on the track setting page for example, as you would with the mono channels, so they could be used as either a set of stereo or 2 mono (whilst still both being poly of course).

This would be a simple solution if it’s possible IMO, and pretty great for the way I work too. As generally speaking most channels I would want in mono anyway… breaks, bass etc… but then it would be nice to assign pads and such to a stereo poly output. You could then of course layer multiple channels/tracks into the output too, for instance if you’re stacking pads.

To go even further, I thought, theoretically, you could do this with the headphone outputs too, right?

Hope this makes sense… And of course I’m not sure how doable this is. But once again my non engineer/ programmer brain seems to think it’s possible.

From what I’ve understood the main outputs are only an analog summing of the 8 outputs so I don’t think that is possible. Might be possible with the headphone output though since that is freely assignable for monitoring and metronome.

Ah right, that’s a shame if so, as that seemed like a simple implementation. Would still settle for the headphone outputs though providing it’s an option.

1 Like