Polyphonic playback of Samples in MultiMode or from midi keyboard

Hi, this is a Feature request for Mikey and Brad: Allow Polyphonic playback of Samples in MultiMode or from midi keyboard to play a chord of a single note synth sample. Basically ability to “steal” voice polyphony from the 16 stereo voices, when you need too. Then we can resample the sequenced chords and revert back to full polyphony as normal.

8 Likes

This would be awesome!

1 Like

Would love to have the choice to turn off the choke for multis, +1

1 Like

I would be awesome if you could play keyboard polyphonicly in pitch mode. Then you could bounce it to 1 sample if you need.

2 Likes

Not understanding how multiple voices can come from one sample. S2400 isn’t a synth like the Prophet X or Emulator. You could spread samples across multiple pads and bounce down to one… But it’s way faster just to sample chords from a keyboard and chop.

one sample, played polyphonically… like on the MPC One etc.
stealing Notes from the s2400. counter productive to use multiple samples to play and sample a chord every time… and for every chord… because you should be using more than one lol. Just like on the MPC…

1 Like

Different animal right? I just play chords into it… super fast.

Yeah that’s the thing… I’ve got so many single note samples of many vintage synths I’ve owned over the decades… just missing easy way to play more than one note at a time within the s2400

1 Like

You could load the same sample into multiple slots, then use a midi hardware or software translator to convert notes of your keyboard to CC pitch modifiers for each sample, then make another rule in the midi translator to increment which sample slot is targeted based on how many are currently playing, giving you as much polyphony as you have spare channels.

Sounds like a fun month. :smiley:

1 Like

There are only 16 voices - the MPC One has 64 stereo voices - that’s 128 voices total! I was surprised Isla pulled off the upgrade from 8. Maybe the new hardware that’s coming is something useful for you. I personally have synths and a computer so not using the S2400 for everything.

1 Like

I meant like in mpc2000xl you can select mono of poly. You can do it filling a bank with same sound and pitching them but it would be faster.
And im talking about sampled sound from record.

+1 it would be a super handy feature when I’m in the zone on the 2400 and don’t wanna break the fast workflow, I can see it being especially useful to those who don’t have a bunch of synths connected.

Yes. I took it rather hard when I realized no poly was possible. But…

1. It’s pretty clear to me that this machine will never be capable of that because the fast RAM is limited to 2MB, and that means each sound can only be loaded and played once. Feature suggestions need to be feasible. See external FX card or S2400XL threads for pipe dreams.

2. You probably considered buying an MPC rather than the S2400 as I did. I personally chose this machine because of the limitations it imposes on workflow. And I wanted to RP as RZA like everyone else here.

3. OP should move this to the correct section: feature requests.

4. Honestly this could be a response to 90% of the feature requests.

Finally, see my post above. Someone should try implementing this just for the hell of it and document/report back. Try Bome’s Midi Translator Pro or similar. At least it’s making some progress.

1 Like

Not only is this feature maximally unlikely but it also wouldn’t be practical on this machine given max polyphony of 16 voices.

Because if you had say 4 samples being multimode sliced and those slices had longish tails, and your sequence is relatively fast….then you could/would soon end up in a situation where polyphony is being eaten up with slice tails overlapping.

In the scenario above, even 4 multimode sliced samples could be eating up 12+ voices at any given moment, another 4 samples as one shots on the the other 4 tracks and all of a sudden you have a ‘one bank S2400’

1 Like