External MIDI triggering for multimode

Hey all,
Absolutely loving the S2400; constantly putting a smile on my face!

Im currently wondering if there’s a way to trigger multi mode tracks from an external MIDI keyboard or sequencer? I’ve tried setting the midi map to pitched mode but this doesn’t seem to apply the multimode synced filter settings etc. to the triggered audio.

Thanks!

1 Like

There is not currently any way to do that.

Thanks @Mickey may I ask if it’s planned for the future?

I was just going to post about this but found this thread instead. I was also looking for a way to use my external sequencers to trigger multi-mode pitches- sounds like it’s not yet possible unfortunately.

Curious though because in one of the official tutorial videos it shows the S2400 being played with a MIDI keyboard, so while triggers won’t utilize multi-mode, maybe it’s a moot point since the pad sounds can be played with pitch externally.

I’m still having difficulty getting the S2400 pads to respond to incoming MIDI data. Seems a bit difficult compared to other devices I’ve got :confused:

MIDI control of pitch does not need multi mode. Just set the track as pitched in the Sync menu, and play your keyboard or sequencer.

2 Likes

@Bram Are you talking specifically about multi slices? The next firmware update has MIDI CC control of all parameters, including slice start/end. However, I can see value in being able to set the slices precisely on the S2400 and trigger them with MIDI.

The question is, how to implement that?
A MIDI CC number that sets the slice number?
For non-pitched tracks, perhaps an option to treat a range of notes as slices. For example, I assign note 36 to a track, and set it to multi-note (or whatever we call it), then note 36 will trigger the main slice (as it does now), and note 37 will trigger multi slice 1, 38 is multi slice 2, etc.

Happy to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

1 Like

Setting a range is a nice idea.

The analog Rytm allows you to set one midi channel for each track. On every channel, C0-C1 (or it might even be C-1 to C0, whatever corresponds to midi note 0 - 11) still triggers the individual track pads at their default note. The rest of the note range plays the current track polyphonically. This means that if you want, you can do basic addressing of all pads from a single channel, or have full polyphonic control using 12 midi channels.

In the case of S2400, you could allow switching of a MIDI channel between polyphonic, or multimode. Or maybe just a switch to enable multimode midi input which switches the first 8 midi notes (0-7) to trigger the 8 multimode slots.

Super glad you’re thinking about this, thanks!

1 Like

The note 0-8 thing is an interesting way to do it, but only from a DAW, not so much live from a keyboard controller
I kindof like the idea of using a CC to set the slice number for a pitched track. It would be easy to switch the slice with a knob while playing the keyboard.

TBH my use case is sequencing the S2400 from cirklon, so the Rytm approach works well (as I have no shortage of channels).

The cirklon can have CCs in the pattern, so that approach should still work for you.

Hey Mickey, sorry to resurrect this thread, but was this ever implemented?

1 Like

I never responded to this… you’re right CCs would work, however it wouldn’t be as nice to use as note values.

With note values I can just bash out a sequence using any controller and record straight into cirklon.

With CCs it becomes a fiddly process of turning a knob to the right segment to trigger each slice.

EDIT: I’m not sure what you mean about only being useful from a DAW. To me it seems like it would be more convenient from a hardware sequencer too. After all, how often do we actually need notes 0-8.

Hey Bram, can you share your Cirklon workflow for sequencing the S2400? I guess I’m interpreting all this as single hits and pitched playing works, but any multi mode slicing needs to be sequenced internally on the S2400? But clock and pattern change comes from Cirklon?

Do you have a S2400 midi map that you use and then a couple of Cirklon Instrument Definitions depending on pitches or percussive parts of the map?

Sequencing “normal” (none multi-mode) S2400 channels from the Cirklon works exactly as expected - you can trigger notes at any pitch and use CC automation to control filter etc.

Cirklon is always master clock, as this is one of its fortes (unless I need to sync VSTs/VCVRack in which case the clock comes from my computer via Expert Sleepers hardware, which is sample accurate).

What I have for my Analog Rytm (and would ideally be the same for S2400) is two Cirklon instrument definitions - one for controlling a single pitched track, and one for triggering across all of the 8 tracks (/multis) at once.

What’s missing in S2400 is the ability to sequence a multi. What I’d like to do is…

1. setup the 8 multis on the S2400 (different pitch/filter/env settings on each pad)
  2. load up my “S2400 multi” instrument definition on Cirklon
  3. use CK mode with 8 lanes to sequence each of the 8 multis on one screen
2 Likes

I was thinking something along the lines of:

If at the top of the pad map list you could assign Multi Sync AB and Multi Sync CD to a midi input channel independently. Then you assign what pads would be in that mode.

So A1-1 through A1-8 would always be notes 0-7 on that assigned channel. B8-1 through B8-8 would always be 120-127. And likewise for C1 and D8. But if pad A2 wasn’t in Multi Sync map mode it would just play either pitch or one shot for notes 8-15 according to settings.

Then you could map everything on two really long piano rolls…

Me not being a programmer though, this could be totally moronic.

Hello everyone,

@Bram, I’m posting here but have read other posts of yours regarding the cirklon/s2400 combo.

I see I’m not the only one with this kind of setup.

I have had a cirklon for 3 years now. I just bought an S2400. it’s all fresh. Can you explain how you control the S2400 from the Cirklon? It would be interesting to know the configuration of each of the machines and your creation process. Wich is master, wich is slave ?

At first glance, I’m a little lost in the settings… I can’t even synchronize the S2400. which should be the basis. although I can trigger the notes from the cirklon. The next objective would also be to trigger slices of a track.

Until now I was using an Elektron Rytm quite seamlessly.
I feel like this machine has a lot of potential but it’s quite obscure for me to configure.

Thx

@Fred Im going to chime in as i also trigger s2400 w cirklon. I remember it was a bit of a mission to get it all working initially but once done, it works mostly well.

I personally have an instrument definition on cirklon for each pad on s2400.

Eg cirklon instrument “s2400 kick pad 1”, “s2400 bass pad 2” etc.

Each instrument def and corresponding s2400 pad is on its own midi channel so i can pitch the samples using different midi notes via cirklon. I use a single usb midi cable. The samples must be set to ‘pitched’ on the s2400. I set up s2400 pads so pad a1 is midi channel 1, pad a2 is midi channel 2 etc…

One downside of this is that you have to sequence one sample/pad at a time. Eg kick, then bass, then snare etc. If you wanna do finger drumming and essentially sequence a bunch of different samples/pads at one time, i recommend using bank b for this- where all pads would share a common midi channel (e.g midi channel 10), and each pad responds to a different midi note- using the ‘percussion’ midi mode rather than the pitched mode. The trade off is no pitched notes, but you can at least choose the pitch of each sample by transposing it in the s2400s track settings.

Regarding clock, you have to set up the midi clock to be sent from cirklon, on the corresponding midi channel that the s2400 is connected to, in the cirklons midi port config page. Midi clock send should be set to ‘Normal’, not just ‘tempo’ so that start and stop messages are sent.

On s2400, you have to set the midi clock source to however you are hooked up with cirklon (in my case usb).

Lastly, theres the old midi feedback loops to avoid…

(And setting up cc names on the cirklons track page for ease of use).

Hope it is somewhat helpful. A lot i am sure you probably know already…

1 Like

Cool, thanks.

To clock was really easy, in fact…

After some experimentation, I can trigger the slices of a track by targeting a channel. I put the instrument on the cirklon in note_number mode, it’s a little more obvious to find your way around than with notes. and slice/pitch on S2400. it’s still quite random. But promising.

I’ll keep digging and try your way too.

Thank you very much