Painted text wearing off with consistent use

I haven’t had this issue yet but I’m curious to know if this is isolated to a batch or something that will eventually happen to all units. I think sharing your serial number on the public forum maybe isn’t the best idea but the range within 500 units should be fine. Like for example if you have a serial number between 1000-1500 you could just share that info and it gives us an idea of what batch it your unit was in. If anyone is down to share that it could help.

1 Like

I emailed StyleFlip a few months ago about them offering a S2400 overlay for purchase on there site. They emailed me back this(below). Any takers? Maybe the Isla team can send a S2400 shell casing to them so they can do there thing with? I can’t seem to come too grips sending mine.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Unfortunately, we do not have a template for this product available for customization yet, but we would like to add it in the future. If you are interested and live in the continental United States, we have a program where you can mail your unit in to us for measurement so we can create a template for it. In return, you will get your skin for free, we will install it for you, and we will pay for shipping both ways.

The template creation process takes about a week to a week and a half. If you are interested, please email us back at orders@styleflip.com for more details. Otherwise, please check back for the template in the future when we get our hands on the unit.

Please let us know and thank you for your interest!

Please let me know If I can help you with anything else.

Thanks
StyleFlip Staff

4 Likes

this story is getting sad, i do hope mine doesn’t do this - the idea above about folk sharing serial # is good, possibly could alleviate stress for some and help others and especially Isla at least learn something

having a skin is not a solution - the problem shouldn’t exist, i will be heart broken and overly annoyed if mine does it - seriously i have gear from the 70s and 80s that hasn’t done it - this has to be a defect in a small batch, surely. I have faith this is an isolated error, modern manufacturing doesn’t fail this soon

5 Likes

Mine is 1008. Mines is coming off. I have a Decksaver cover with my S2400 too and it’s still coming off. I’ve resorted to leaving the cover off. Decksaver covers may be exacerbating it.

Thanks for the information, sorry for your troubles!

What makes you think that? Just curious if the deck saver is rubbing the paint in places?

Most of the places with the paint coming off does make contact with the Decksaver cover. So, the ISLA INSTRUMENTS banner at the bottom and the PROGRAMMING and MASTER control banners at the top is rubbing off.

2 Likes

I gotta ask man how many of you have wiped your 2400’s with disinfectant wipes??

2 Likes

I have number 26 and no issues here

1 Like

Never. Only use microfibre cloths on my gear and the paint on my unit doesn’t come off after wiping dust.

The only logical explanation to me is that I rest my hands on this area without thinking about it, and the paint is finished to a poor standard and unable to withstand contact from basic general usage. I’ve had it for 9 months.

I use my unit in a dimly lit environment at night. When I look in the morning the paint marks are clear as day. As my most valued piece and centre of my studio it makes me sad, not to mention loss of resale value.

Hmmm sounds like your unit is probably a higher serial number then… is it safe to say it’s in the 2000’s?

Or did you buy it used?

I don’t know man, I see all this as speculation and there is so many factors involved. I say the team knows better and hopefully they see this thread and do their own investigation…

Ordered brand new September '21, received December '21. Haven’t checked s/n yet.

1 Like

Well regardless of serial, I’d bet you and @justineastwick weren’t in the same batch. I received mine around the same time as you and my serial is much higher than his. So that’s a bummer. It suggests that mistakes could have happened during the painting process to a few units in different batches. I would definitely encourage anyone having this issue to reach out directly to Isla and at least make them aware. At the very least they can let the vendor know that they’ve had some issues and hopefully it won’t happen in the future. Again, sorry to anyone having this issue. That’s a huge bummer. On the bright side there are obviously units that have been around a couple years now with no issues, so it probably isn’t a wide spread issue that most will experience. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I hope I achieve muscle memory by the time all the text comes off…

You could always ghetto rig it and put a piece of tape down and write on it if it wears and tears. I think most of us will gain muscle memory on all the buttons and functions as there are only about 17 of em not including the transport and numbers.

One time I achieved really good results from paint and a stencil. Obviously experiment first on a scrap surface.

You can use the stickers as-is. I used the sticker elsewhere, and then cut out the “hole” around it with a bit of a margin. Then smoothed it onto the faceplate as aggressively as possible. Filled it in with well mixed fresh model paint and a small brush. Left alone for a day or so. That paint dries as hard as glass and with patience factory results are possible which do not wear down.

Maybe this will lower the price till its sorted? Hoping for a MK2 version with all issues improved.

Going through this thread I’m counting seven people reporting this issue. I could be a little off, though, so let’s call it ten. Unless I’m mistaken, this isn’t widespread and my two units have shown no wear after a year of use. The first person to post about this (cheflewis) actually lives near me. He was a student in a course that I facilitate and i got to see and touch his unit. Actually, it was the first ever unit that I ever tried and convinced me to purchase my units. Running my fingers over it, it didn’t seem any different from my unit…smooth just like mine until I reached the parts where the paint was peeling. Weird.

I honestly feel that this could be an unfortunate error in the fabrication stage of manufacturing. With that happening in China, where there isn’t much oversight, I’m curious to know if this has happened because of a temporary switch in the materials used for the paint. I also get folks trying to narrow it down to a specific serial number batch BUT am also curious to know if the chassis’s were painted separately from the rest of the assembly? Like maybe they have a stock of them and serial numbers are applied later in the process.

Having said all that, I can’t see this issue, as unfortunate as it is, constituting an across the board discount. I’ve seen/heard of the coating on modern MPCs rubbing off and haven’t seen Akai respond in that way…and they’re a much larger company.

5 Likes

I think it depends on your playing style and if you rub the surface a lot. In Akai thats what they were saying. But it shouldnt happen on very expensive equipment. Imagine if Nikon or Canon had this issue. Eeks😬

Brad must be concerned as he was asking if anyone knows a good resurfacer🤔

I mean…it definitely happened with the 2500 and that was roughly the same price. Maybe it is playing style but cheflewis’ units initial paint degradation wasn’t in an area where he was pressing a lot. In fact, he mentions above that he’s felt that he’s been pretty chill with it. Anyway, just looking to toss my two cents in. Best of luck addressing this, whatever the cause is!

1 Like