More polyphony - 16 would be perfect

I think the ability to route any/all tracks to a live looper track, internally/digitally, could make things interesting :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Might be able to pull that off with a mixerā€¦ Cool idea though!

For sure, Iā€™ve done it with no issuesā€¦other than the analog generation loss. Thatā€™s why I mentioned doing it in a digital way to avoid that :+1:

This S2400 is the center of my studio I will take more polyphony if they add to firmware.

However, I enjoy the constraints of the original SP1200 shining through the S2400. It is what makes the S2400 more than just another sampler, but an experience. To push past the 8 channel limit, Iā€™m forced to find samples that do not trigger at same time and group onto same channel, or eliminate some of that excess fat (did I need all of those samples triggering at same time?).

Iā€™ve built songs with 16 samples and only on 7 channels. It can be done. You need to be creative like them OGs did with the SP12/SP1200 back in the days.

However, Like @LonzoB and @fooddude Sometimes Iā€™m triggering other samplers/drum machines to push way past the polyphony limits as a last resort.

3 Likes

I agree - 8 channels forces me to think creatively. I havenā€™t really run into the limits of 8 voices. I donā€™t layer. There is so much I use outside the sampler - eq, compressors, modular synth & effects, guitar pedals. I create the sounds and sequence them on the S2400ā€¦ or use pre-produced great sounding one-shots.

I probably havenā€™t hit any limits also because Iā€™m still learning the machine - been diving into the midi side lately. I will say again that I didnā€™t expect the S2400 to do everything. Itā€™s a great addition to the studio and a super creative tool.

Some people are sample based producers that rarely if at all use midi. Letā€™s make it make sense.

Cool - sounds limiting

Not everyone uses your workflow.

Yeah I know - not saying anyone shouldā€¦ Iā€™m just throwing ideas out there. Maybe it will be useful, maybe it wonā€™t.

1 Like

OG SP1200 has 20sec sample-time limit.
S2400 has 21.5min limit in mono (5.5min in stereo).
So, the S2400 doesnā€™t have the same ā€œconstraintsā€ compared to the OG SP1200, aside from 8voice poly.
Then thereā€™s the sequencer and all the other features.

All that extra sample time (and features) will result in totally different sounding music/beats compared to a 20sec OG unit, regardless of polyphony.
All that sample-time with only 8-voices, it doesnā€™t suit/match each other.

OGs didnā€™t use the SP1200 by itself all the timeā€¦ they often paired it with an S950/900, or other S-series or other samplerā€¦ for more voices/polyphony. Or, they just used an MPC60/3000/2000/1000.

Yes, it can be done - using ā€œcreativityā€ to use 9-32 samples with only 8voices. To many, including myself, thatā€™s just an extra-step/s, extra time, slow-down, hassle/effort, during workflow/creation - to sit and really brainstorm what sample fits where, to make sure things donā€™t get cut-off, or to diagnose what sample is getting cut off and by which other sample.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not saying more voices isnā€™t better. Iā€™m squarely with the more voices please group. Iā€™m just saying that isnā€™t a reality right now. So, your options are create around (given the suggestions) it or replace it with something else (DAW or MPC). Until more voices are added (if added ever).

Just donā€™t use them if you donā€™t need toā€¦Iā€™m sure your car goes over 100mph, does that mean youā€™re driving at that speed at all times?

Iā€™m new to this and have hit the first bump in the road. That is samples cutting off. Now iā€™ve discovered layering and stacking(same i guess). I would take FX over polyphony though. As The samples wouldnā€™t cut off just fade away naturally, and that would help too.

1 Like

I can understand how you can have this problem if youā€™re trying to do a whole production in one boxā€¦ Why would you though? In the end it all ends up as samples. I know know thereā€™s a historical thing, but why does everything have to be in one box? That seems very limiting.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: So now itā€™s ā€œlimitingā€ if you create full projects in one box?

1 Like

Why donā€™t you think so? You donā€™t have many of the tools you need to mix.

It just depends on where people place the ā€œless is moreā€ cursor.

About beatmaking (not talking about mixing or home mastering) Iā€™m happy with one box.

When I was young, first because of lack of money and then because I wanted to keep data storage as simple as possible. I didnā€™t want a floppy disk here, a zip disk there and a hard drive over there.

Now I donā€™t want to collect gear I ll learn how to use and not use in the end. So one box is good for some people. Just personal preference :slight_smile:

1 Like

Judging by the amount of views this thread hasā€¦ itā€™s plain to see that more voices is what the majority wants.

2 Likes

OG SP1200 has 10 seconds sampling timeā€¦ only the new SP1200 has 20 seconds. Both not much but enough to make awesome beats and the limitation leads to results you wonā€™t have with endless sampling time

1 Like

Nope, but you may have the wrong box.