More polyphony - 16 would be perfect

Agree…

What exactly are you saying? I own other gear.

I would love more voices for layering drums! it is one of my favourite ways to create new sounds. Because of the voice limit, at the moment it is only possible if I use the S2400 exclusively for drums or I track out and then try to do some ugly post processing…or I layer my drums on my MPC and then sample them into the S2400 which is tedious

1 Like

Just curious - has there ever been a sampler that has added more voices before?

Not that I know of. Pioneer SP16 increased sample time from 32 to 64 secs but polyphony remained at 16 voices.
A few samplers I know of have 8 voices - SP1200 and S950 are the two that I can think of.

From what I remember I think there are expansion cards for some of the latest Akai S rack series samplers like 64 voices cards. 32 like most modern samplers would be enough though.

Nevertheless, with the S2400 it seems to be an allocation problem first. For example in my case I never use the looper. I wish the voices allocated to the looper could be used for something else.

3 Likes

So that sounds like an expansion card. Brad talked about the expansion slot for FX or maybe other surprises. Doesn’t seem like more voices could added with firmware. Has anyone from Isla made any comments?

1 Like

No official comments indeed. There was a couple of mentions about the revision of an audio board as well. I suppose to get rid of limitations concerning filters, low level output and so on.

As you can guess, it would take a lot of time and money so I suppose the best way to communicate about it is at the very last moment when stuff is almost here. That’s the problem with transparency, if one says something too early people will quote it forever :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think its somewhere between very optimistic and delusional to expect the polyphony to double at this point in the game, maybe if like you say you could choose between looper tracks or more sampler voices but we dont know enough about software to know if that even do-able either. Maybe some kind of clever dynamic voice allocation could help as well. I guess one thing I would personally be curious about is if its even technically possible to have more than one voice play back on an individual output at the same time. that might give a clue as to the hardware’s capability for such a thing.

1 Like

i’m sure it’s technically possible but it would probably make the choking more complicated as it is currently done on a track allocation basis rather than a group number.

1 Like

I was going to say this too.

I remember one of the team saying quite the opposite a little while back.

1 Like

Cant you just record drums assigned to 8 pads to one stereo file. And import them and assign the recording to one pad. Still 7 pads to play with.

1 Like

I guess I didn’t want to get my hopes up. I do use the looper myself, but when I do I don’t use many sampling voices along with it, so I would hope for an either-or situation, where if you choose to not use the looping you can free more voices type of thing.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that in the box itself. Is that possible? Or are you recording it externally then importing it back into the S2400?

1 Like

I never use it neither. I was never into guitar-pedal loopers. (I play with midi, synths, drum machines and samplers… I’m not into geetars).

1 Like

Yes recording externally with a Zoom live mixer. But it would be super useful if polyphony cant be fixed to bounce it down to one track onto one pad for sure.

Yeah but you can select 2.5 second blocks on the S2400 too just like the SP1200 but this is The modern Successor and what makes it great. it has some similarities in look and sound but adds the ability for chopping samples and way more sample time if you need it so you’re not just stuck in bleep blip boom bap land.

I will be stuck in boom bap land for the rest of my life :joy: but anyway… i own a sp1200 and love it ever since! I was one of the first to preorder the s2400 and really like it too! I didn’t mean to make a statement for one sampler and bash the other. they are both great musical instruments. i had to get it right that the og sp1200 doesn’t have 20 secs sampling time.

1 Like

here is how i do it

lets say all 8 trk are full, play the pattern, goto D

hit shift+f4, set looper active

press play, record 2400 outs via 2400 in which is sent from aux on desk

save loop, done, i now i have a mixdown and 7 free pads

2 Likes

When i record the S2400 into my Zoom Live trak i’m happy to say the recording sounds exactly the same.

1 Like