Handling of SD card failures

I often have a problem that my SD card is not recognized at start. My real issue though is that I don’t know whether the machine sees my SD card until I try to load a project or start the playback.

I think you would agree that SD card is essential for the machine to function and its absence is rather an exception than a normal scenario. That’s why I was thinking that notifying the user about a missing SD card after the machine starts may be a good idea.

Also, it seems that SD card mounting fails more often when starting the machine with an inserted card than when inserting a card when the machine is running. Is it a known issue? Is there maybe a possibility to catch startup errors and make another attempt to re-mount the card? I would definitely sacrifice startup speed to gain more stability.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. It’s what I came here to report. Recognition of the card by the S2400 is sporadic at startup. Ejecting and reinserting the card seems to do the trick. One can only assume this is a flaw as it would be counterintuitive for it to be the intended functionality of the machine.

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue as well. In fact I spent some time this weekend with the rest of the beta team trying to trouble shoot some issues I was having. So far I’ve been using the SanDisk 128 Extreme Pro and I can say I’m fairly certain that the QA on these is iffy at best and they are giving me some issues. Primarily not being recognized by my second S2400 and introducing some odd behavior as well. I’ve been through 3 of these cards now. (There are a lot of fakes out there as well, they should have a serial number on the back to differentiate between the fakes and real SanDisks).

Most of my issues have been with my second S2400 where it will not accept this SD card. Since I have two units this has allowed me to do some testing with different firmware and cards side by side. My original unit, which is in the first 200 units, is handling the SanDisk fine, my second unit from the summer batch, isn’t. I have to constantly pop the card out and back in quickly on boot up for it to be recognized.

I’ve moved over to Lexar to see if they are handled better by the S2400. Currently Unit 2 is handling the Lexar 64 gb fine. That is all I have for now.

If you all are noticing any repeatable behavior or anything else of note with SD cards please post it here. Also please note what cards you have tried and had similar results with @JDFlow and @kulturhaus

I’ve changed the category of this post from feature requests to bug reports.

1 Like

I’m using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme. I’ll grab a Lexar and try that.

1 Like

my sandisk 64extreme pro 170mb/s has been flawless

serial 1042 fwiw - landed aug this year

I’m hoping we can track this down to a specific card (SanDisk Extreme) that doesn’t play nice and just make a recommendation not to use them. It is odd though because they continue to work in other devices so I’ve moved them over to my Denon SC5000ms and Deluge.

It’s very odd. A handful of times my 2400 recognizes it from powering on but the majority of the time I have to remount it at least once.

1 Like

Same here. It’s just not the way it’s supposed to perform even if it really isn’t much effort to pop it out and in. I also noticed that it happens a lot more when the unit has been on for a while, it was much less likely from a cold boot.

what exact model are you using?

that is mine - like i say, faultless - i have machine on for 6-8 hours sometimes, or others it is on and off quicker than prozzies knickers when i can’t settle mentally on what to do with myself

1 Like

@j.m That is the one I’ve been having trouble with except that it was 128 not 64. We had a quick discussion about how many of these are failing in other devices on the beta team last night.

However I’ll add that all of us on the beta team have machines that came from the first batch or so. I have one of that group as well as one from the August delivery that was missing the cases, not the most recent, and it has proven to be more sensitive to these cards. Though I believe @JDFlow has a unit from an earlier batch.

This is the one I’m using

2 Likes

S2400 serial 1339. I use an Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB (same as you @iofflight) and have not had any problem with this SD card.

2 Likes

This is mine. Never had any problems (never noticed anything).

I never touch it by the way. I always have my s2400 linked to the computer via USB.

2 Likes

@tnkz76 it’s generally the same for me. I update everything via MSC mode and don’t take my cards out so once I start having issues I pay attention. (obviously I do anyway due to being a beta tester) I’m trying to find out how much of this is the type of card vs how much of this may be a sensitivity in newer units. So the more people who weigh in the better information we have.

Like I said my first unit hasn’t behaved like this. My second unit seems to be far more sensitive. So I’m wondering as we get more people on the forum from the most recent two batches what kind of things we’re going to see.

I think the SanDisk cards may just have enough variance to not play nice with the S2400 so if any of you are experiencing some sensitivity try some others and let us know here how you get on.

1 Like

I’m from the first batch. Received mine Jan. 2021
This card has remained in the machine since then.
I never take it out (except now… :blush:) and it never has given me a problem.

2 Likes

Look at you! Smug and secure in your finery. Mocking us with 256gbs!

2 Likes

Hahaha. Well I’m just happy it works!

1 Like

Received mine at the very end of july and ive had this problem off and on since. I want to say it seemed less frequent with the august firmware, but its back to being semi regular again. Always reads if i click the card out then back in after start up, but doesnt always immediately recognize it on startup. (Also using a 256gb, but a less fancy/not extreme one, hopefully the picture uploads)

1 Like