Handling of SD card failures

Please try a different brand card (Lexar or Samsung) and let us know if it makes a difference. I expect it will.

The most telling thing to my admittedly untrained electronics mind is that your older unit works fine while your newer one doesn’t. Assuming they’re both running the same firmware that leads one to believe there may be a hardware issue. Does that make sense?

August batch. SanDisk Ultra 100MB/s 64GB. I’ve never experienced this issue.

2 Likes

No, because the hardware is the same.

2 Likes

Will do, might take a bit to really give a full report once i get one though. A lot of the time it does load on startup, and ive never had any issues at all after ive clicked the card out and back in. Everything reads fine and works perfectly every time after that, just doesnt always recognize it on startup

I certainly had that thought but because I’ve had varying issues with each unit depending on what SD card was in there I knew it was more likely to be something to do with the cards. I’ve had similar issues with two identical computers running the same exact operating system, I had variances on each machine. (it’s almost always the way software is behaving on the machine) It isn’t impossible there could be variances in each machine, however, it makes more sense from a trouble shooting perspective, to look at the thing that has less homogeneity built into manufacturing it… which is the card.

In fact I had an issue yesterday that I thought for sure had to be a firmware bug on my first machine (not the second that is having a hard time recognizing the SanDisks) and it was an issue introduced by the card. Which is what caused me to post here and confirm some of what I’d seen and try to get more information from users.

maybe drop down to 64? is the read speed 170 or more on the 128? maybe aim for lower read speed, i know we always think faster and larger is better but i learned with mc808 many years ago this is not always the case - that thing hated fast cards but worked bullet proof on slower ones, smaller sizes too

honestly my experience with sd made me wary of the 64 and i was surprised it worked 100%, my plan was to go with 16gig but as i had the 64 anyway that would have gone elsewhere i tried it and voila

aaah but look at his speed, 95mb/s

i posted above to try reduced speed and then saw this, also see someone else above has 120 mb/s

i wonder if that is the key - larger card needs slower speed, is same on my mc808

The two cards I’m working with now are the Lexar 250mb 128gb and 95mb 64gb. I’ve got a Lexar 300mb 32 gb card I still have to test. I’ve also just ordered some Samsung Evo SDs 130mb 128gb for testing as well.

SanDisk - Extreme PRO 128GB SDXC UHS-I Memory Card

I just pop it out and pop it back in and it works, not a big deal but would be nice if it just read it.

Switch cards. It’s worth losing the headache. I moved over the Lexar and Samsung and they’ve been performing properly.

I’m using two different SD card types, and the S2400 will stop seeing them if I power on shortly after powering off, then I need to scan it under windoze for the machine to see the card again.

That is interesting, what cards are you using and what do you do to get it to scan under windows to get it to be seen again. I’m on a mac primarily but have a SD card reader with USB that I can pop into either machine. Is it just as simple as putting the card into the PC and having the PC see it?

SanDisk Extreme Pro 170MB/s 128GB SD (XC1, U3, V30)
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSD (XC1, U3, A2, V30)
Under windoze I need to perform error checking under disk tools and then it will mount on s2400. But this may be correct behavior as it only happens in case of powering off and on again.

1 Like

I must say that I couldn’t reproduce the issue lately. Every time I turned the machine on (once every day), it recognized the SD card correctly.

But in the first 2 days I used to turn the unit on and off more often so maybe it’s the thing?

My experience was definitely a hardware issue. I’d assume on the card side. The day after I last posted in this thread I gently wiggled the card around in it’s slot. I haven’t had an error since. Guess it just wasn’t seated properly.

1 Like