U.K. / UPS import duty problem

So I called UPS this morning. After near 30 mins on hold, I got the standard-unhelpful-bored-service-guy, who just kept repeating “yeah, but you have to pay these charges when you import something from the US”. After finally getting irritated and demanding to speak to someone else, I got forwarded to another person who took all my details, then stuck me on hold again, then told me I had to email them instead.

TL;DR Don’t waste time calling UPS, email ukpostclear@ups.com with your details.

So I take it you had to pay the overcharged tax amount prior to delivery ?

Yeah. UPS didn’t even attempt delivery until I paid online.

so it sounds like you got a right muppet then, i f’in hate jobsworths - unlucky mate

twice i have had to call them - once for 2400 i add, twice i got helpful people - roll of the dice then

So do you have to chase HMRC for the refund ? That’s what I was told last time there was a fuck up but it was a few years ago.

No idea at the moment… no reply to my email so far. I’m not holding my breath though, fully expect UPS to claim it’s an HMRC problem.
I should mention Rob has offered to help from Isla’s end too.

Yeah. It’s always the same. Every person you speak to is the expert at their job, and no two staff tell you the same thing.

Last month I had the joy of trying to reschedule a flight with BA. It took about 9 hours over three days on the phone (calling internationally, because the local BA office was closed). Some of the things I was told, by various people on shitty VoIP lines:

“You need to change that booking online.” - Website error told me I had to call.
“There’s no way for us to call you back.” - Their colleague happily managed.
“You don’t qualify for a voucher.” - They had already given me a voucher.
“You need to apply for a voucher.” - They had just taken my voucher code.
"You need to use your voucher online." - Voucher email said “cannot be used to book online.”
“This isn’t the correct department but I can’t transfer you, you need call this number.” - I’d just called that number and they’d transferred me.
“The number you have dialed is no longer operational.” - It worked when I called a second time.
“Your payment card details were invalid.” - They’d hung up before taking my card details.
“You need to make a new booking because this booking is invalid.” - Later another colleague took my card details and issued me a ticket.

My favourite was the person who actually shouted down the phone at me for not giving my details with the NATO phonetic alphabet. What an unhelpful charlie-oscar-charlie-kilo.

2 Likes

Last time i had this issue it wasn’t with UPS but the reason I had to contact HMRC was apparently they invoice the shipping company who pay the money on your behalf but any discrepancies have to be taken up directly with the tax office.

I have theory about what might have happened, do you know if ISLA insured the package for what you paid (850ish) or for the cost of replacing the package at the current price (1500ish).

If they should be insured it at the cost of a replacement (1500ish) as opposed to your payment price (850) this will have caused the issue.

HMRC can cross check the insured value of items against the claimed paid price to ensure people aren’t avoiding tax by marking down the value of an item on the import documents.

Did initially wonder if that was what happened, but the UPS invoice correctly listed the unit value at 949USD.

This is exactly what is happening to folks on a Kickstarter that I backed. Not only are UK folks getting screwed because the product’s delayed shipping (from the EU) means we have now have to pay post-Brexit import duties, but the company is also stubbornly listing the full non-preorder price on the shipping invoice, doubling the import costs.

My Isla S2400 has been stuck in Stansted facility since Thursday, yet it flew like the wind across America.
I phoned and they say they are probably doing paperwork. I paid all import duties last Thurday as they asked for. How long should i wait as she said on the phone if i dont get an update by tomorrow i should file a claim. Im furious at the slackness of this. Its meant to be a new top of the range facility but its slower than molasses. Ive been checking every hour or so for an update but nothing. Any advice appreciated.

Don’t file a claim. Just wait. It’s super tedious I know but it’s not unheard of for UK packages to sit for over a week before they get processed. Filing a claim just gives them an excuse to not deliver it IMO. If you haven’t heard anything by Thursday give me a shout on tickets and I’ll take it up on your behalf.

2 Likes

Hey cheers Rob. Yes ll wait like you say and see if anything happens in the next day or ttwo. Sorry for venting my frustration its just like getting everything sorted then a huge anti climax. Now im going outside to stand in the rain :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Rob its just arrived yipeee!! First thoughts are incredible design and aesthetic beauty. And the obligatory solid build statement reiterated by may others. Thankyou for your hard work.

Rob i notice it comes without a power plug(just a cable). Can i use a IEC C13 Kettle plug seen and used most places? Does the ampage matter as they come in different ratings?. Cheers and all the best.

3 Likes

You can use any UK kettle lead that fits - our machine can take mains power from anywhere in the world. You can also us a US-UK adapter if you so wish…

1 Like

Cheers Rob.

1 Like

Also, I’m happy to hear you like it after all this time waiting - would’ve been a bit anti-climatic otherwise eh! :slight_smile:

1 Like

After several emails and some much welcome assistance from @roborr, UPS have confirmed that there was a mistake with the charges. (Their explanation was “it appears the incorrect shipping cost has been used on the entry”.)

UPS are now filing a claim with HMRC on my behalf, so hopefully I’ll get refund for the difference at some point.

If you’re still waiting for your S2400 (preorder price, without hardcase) the corrected charges were:
Duty - £14.54
VAT - £152.88

2 Likes

Thats what i just paid so that info is correct at time of writing. Glad you got it sorted.

2 Likes

I think i have the record for waiting the longest out of everyone as i cancelled twice before going ahead. Way back in January 2020 was my first . You havent said so Rob but do you have one and are you a musician?

I’d describe myself more as a lapsed musician :grinning:

Played musical instruments from the age of 4 but switched to DJing in my early 20s.

I have unit 0007 with literally the only black sides in the world (currently) - she’s my baby :slight_smile:

3 Likes