Tips for converting wavs from 41k to 48k without degradation

I just reorganized 10 years of my sample collection in preparation for loading to my s2400. Unfortunately they are all in 41k and when I have tried to change the whole set in bulk to 48k using WAV Converter for Mac, I get pops clicks and weird issues in the new files. Any tips for how I can approach this issue. I don’t want to have any aliasing if I let the s2400 convert my samples itself. Thanks!

I used Adobe Audition and bulk converted a lot of my drum samples/loops to mono and 48/16.
They all sounded fine.
I think the free program Audacity works well too.

1 Like

I personally use iTunes to convert anything to 48000/16 bits (extremely high quality setting) - I hear no aliasing

Hey Dylan- I have a few apps that work pretty well- First is WaveLab, but I dont like how the bulk conversion works, so I took a chance on an app store app called Switch Audio file converter. Its pretty solid and does what I need. Here is the app store link

The good news is I think its free, so nothing lost if you decide you dont like it…

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys. So, to summarize:

-It is better to convert samples externally rather than in the 2400 and there are many programs that do this well.

-it is technically possible to convert from 41k to 48k without aliasing and degradation (I wasn’t sure if this was the case).

As I understand it, the second you sample to a lower rate you lose the info above Nyquist(sample rate /2). Even if you upsample it later it is still going to be gone. There are different ways to resample audio and those can range from audible(drop sample/linear interpolation) to pretty transparent(sync/hermite, and others).

That said, if you use 44.1 audio there is some minoraliasing that comes through the S2400. Its not quite as bad as the 26khz resample files, but I think of it as 3 layers of dirt that are available- Clean(48khz), slightly dusty(44.1), and dirty(26khz).

Also keep in mind that just about any sample rate will play if it is a 16/24 bit file, but the speed will be off if it isnt one of the 3 ‘officially supported’ sample rates. This can also be used to great effect.

1 Like

So I tested with Switch Sound File Converter as suggested. It has an “enable shaped dithering” box that mostly solves the issue of artifacts I was having with To Wav Converter. And it’s free! Thanks all!

2 Likes

Also note- the Sample Rate by default will match the source file, but there are a dozen or so options.

Yes and it seems like it wont remember your setting so you have to manually choose the sample rate each time you convert. Thanks for pointing that out, I just noticed.

for me this is a PERFECT opportunity to start fresh

clean slate - no old samples will be dragged across that do not match, i will sample everything

this method will also help me no end in learning the machine :wink:

1 Like

Update. Switch Sound File Converter, at least the free one, does not work. Maybe it is a limitation of the free version, but it will not change the sample rate. Looking for a better piece of software currently.

Hey @DylanReece Im using the free version and it works as I expect- do you want to go through the settings you use? I have considered purchasing but Im not sure the meta tags are worth 40 bucks to me.

1 Like

It is on sale for $20 and I bought the full version and it is working. The UI isn’t great but I figured it out. On the free version it wasn’t outputting at 48k even after choosing it manually each time from the dropdown. No idea why.

Good news: No high frequency aliasing on my drum hits.

1 Like

This was my problem. “If source is same…” that must only mean format like .WAV but does not consider bit rate or sample rate. Changed setting to below and now it works. Thanks @StupidAmericanPig !

2 Likes

Thanks for the intel on this program . its PC friendly so ill give it a go.

1 Like

Is 44.1 one of the official supported rates? All my samples are 44.1.

We don’t really use 48 in the UK for pro-audio. We use 44.1 except for video.

The 2400 supports 44.1 but will resample internally to 48 so you may notice slight aliasing.