Strange behavior when usb is plugged to the computer

This morning I finally had time to upgrade the firmware on my machine. As usual the process run flawlessly.
But once I did it I noticed strange behavior when USB cable is plugged.
First thing: For an unknown reason my computer decided to use the s2400 as the main OS soundcard and directly the system became laggy and unresponsive (mouse who freeze, sound playback in VLC very instable).
At first as I didn’t wanted to use the S2400 as my soundcard I just switched back in the settings panel and the computer goes OK again and just continued.

Then this led me to the second thing:
I was about to do some digging so I put a WAV file in my DAW (reaper), set up my routing in order to send the sound to the S2400 and listen the converted sound of the s2400. I encountered a lot of clicks and pop when the DAW was playing.
As I also upgraded my DAW recently I first suspected a bug in its new version (7.02), so I checked and re-checked again all parameters, drivers settings (I use the ASIO driver of my sound card) etc… all seemed to be correctly set-up but yet I still got these damn click and pops at playback.
Long story short, I finally sorted it out by unplugging the USB cable from the S2400 then the DAW playback became OK again.
Yet in the DAW settings the S2400 is not enabled neither as a audio driver neither as a midi device and in the S2400 sync settings the clock is set to internal and clock out is not even checked on any USB port.
I also tested an easier scenario with no routing at all to the S2400 (eg: not sending audio into its input and just monitor the soundcard output) and got the same problem. (I even unplugged the jack cable from the input to be sure)

I give you some details about my config:
Sound card: Focusrite Clarett 8preX
DAW: Reaper 7.02

The steps to reproduce should be

• plug an USB cable,
  • open a DAW (at least reaper 7.02)
  • play a WAV