SP2400 midi tracks and sequencing external gear

One of the (unintended) benefits of Luna at this early stage is that it doesn’t suffer from “too many features.” Also the UI is design is geared toward people who are familiar with and/or enjoy the workflow of a traditional mixing console. Most DAWs such as Ableton and Logic do have a channel strip/mixer view with faders, etc.

If you’re interested in digital tape emulation, I don’t know of any that are better than the UAD stuff. But I’ve only used those and the Waves J37, which is also nice.

If you wanted to multi-track more than 2 channels simultaneously in Luna**, there are several options.

Luna Multi-track Solutions
  1. An Apollo interface with multiple hardware inputs (Apollo x4 / x6 / x8 / x8p)
  2. Apollo Twin X connected to another interface or preamp box via Optical In aka ADAT Lightpipe
  • Optical is limited to 48 kHz unless the receiving interface is S/MUX compatible, which accommodates “4 channels at up to 96 kHz, or two channels at up to 192 kHz, on one optical cable.”
  1. Apollo x16 connected to a mixer/preamp box via D-Sub 25 or Optical/ADAT

** The same applies to any DAW, but Luna requires a Thunderbolt-equipped Universal Audio Apollo interface and at present is only compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. Apollo Thunderbolt interfaces can be daisy chained to achieve more than 16 simultaneous input channels.

Otherwise, you can add inputs with something like a Focusrite OctoPre connected to an interface with Optical inputs. Just be aware of that 18 channel cap on combined analog/optical inputs, and a single optical cable only handles up to 8 channels (at 48 kHz). Some interfaces only have 1 optical input while others have 2.

If you have more than one audio interface (Apollo and/or other), you can create what is known as an Aggregate Audio Device. The cheapest possible way to record real time multi-tracking in Luna is to combine an Apollo Solo ($499/£449) with another multi-channel interface, assuming you already own one, as an Aggregate Device. However, only the Apollo’s inputs can function as UAD Unison preamps.

Yes, you can track a mono channel or stereo pair 1 or 2 channels at a time. This is what I currently do with my Apollo Twin 2 input interface. However if recording external gear running at it’s own tempo, you will have to solve the issue of clock sync to take advantage of features like non-linear editing (on the grid), flex time/warp, etc.

The clock of any DAW can be slaved to an external device via MIDI. Conversely, you can sync your hardware to the DAW’s clock, but I would use the S2400 as Master clock to ensure solid timing when recording it. After the externally clocked device is recorded, you can play in any MIDI, electro-acoustic, or software instruments to the beat you’ve recorded.

The other option is just ignore the DAW clock all together, sync whatever you need to the S2400/external clock, track separately and play along to your own rhythm or the rhythm of a pre-recorded track. In that case you really are just treating a DAW as digital tape. But yeah, tracking separately is usually the way to go if you have large track counts and you are not creating a sub mix on an analog mixer going into the interface.

Sorry everyone, this thread has now gone :pinching_hand: off topic. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

it is all shooting the breeze for now brother

2 Likes

Thanks fellas for the summary on how DAW multitrack recording is usually done!

Ah, I guess my assumptions were correct (at least if one only had a 2ch interface) - either, record the separate tracks individually.
Or, replace my old Mackie and 2ch interface with a modern USB mixer that has a built-in interface and is designed to integrate with a DAW.

I’d love to get one of those newer mixers someday with USB, built-in interface and DAW integration; but, not really a priority anytime soon and I can’t afford it atm.
Can possibly happen in the future though, if my old Mackie takes a dump or becomes too difficult to work with (too many crackly pots/faders) - I’d rather buy a nice new Tascam mixer, than repair the Mackie.
That Behr XR 18 looks nice too! Would save a bunch of desk space!

As for clock, I don’t think it’s an issue for me… my MPC60 has always been my main-sequencer/clock ever since I first started, and sequences/clocks all my external synths/romplers/samplers… I just mute/solo the channels/tracks in the Mackie while everything is playing/running, whenever I record individual tracks.
“Count-in” metronome recorded too per track, so you can sync everything in the future (say in a DAW).

Which brings us back to the S2400 - if its’ midi-sequencer is at least capable of the old MPC60 or MTT-8, then I’d def consider replacing the MPC and make the S2400 the new main-sequencer (it’s good to have convenient SD and also new’ness… as the MPC is getting very old and might break in the future).

Which DAW does the Waves J37 work with?
Any good tape-emulators that work with Audacity (lol)?
(yeah… I have a hard time getting away from Audacity… as it’s all I’ve used from the start).

Anyways… yeah, we’ve gone totally off topic, haha. Might as well talk about your fave pizza, burritos, fried chicken or Japanese food. Joking, lol.

2 Likes

Waves J37 works with most anything that will host VST(3)/AAX/Audiosuite/Audio Units plugins.

Hit the link above and got to the Tech Specs tab, and under that you’ll find Supported Hosts.

No mention of Audacity though.

1 Like

I may have to swoop that Reaper + J37 plug-in someday and give it a whirl. Sounds awesome, I can DL it & set it up quick anytime… and also affordable. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Any recommendations for overlays/skins for Reaper? I really like something like the Luna vintage console/desk look, or something classic, simple and non-convoluted.

Just noticed a few little bits of new info on the newly updated website and specs. I know the midi-sequencer isn’t done yet, nor is the available info on it. But we got a little bit more info now…

" Sequencer

• Multiple sequence entry methods: Live recording, Step Sequence, Piano Roll GUI, TR x0x Style
  • 32 Audio Tracks (any 8 playable at a time)
  • 32 MIDI Tracks (for sequencing external equipment)
  • 96 PPQN Clock
  • Per track quantization and swing (including classic mode)
  • Patterns are up to 100 measures, any time signature
  • All parameters (level, pitch, envelope, filters) configurable per pattern step
  • Song mode "

I see we get 32 midi-tracks for sequencing external gear.

I know it’s not nearly as much as MPC60’s 99 tracks nor MMT-8’s 128 tracks (8 tracks * 16 channels ea = essentially 128 tracks)… but, 32 tracks is more than enough for me to make an entire, complete track/jam/song. So that’s great!

But, the question is… What’s the max number of sequences/patterns you can write/record?? (or, “Steps” in song-mode?)

MPC60 = 99 sequences/patterns. (total of 256 “steps” in song-mode)
MMT-8 = 100 sequences/patterns.

I make my complete/entire/full pieces inside only the MPC60.
I was curious to see how many tracks and sequences/patterns I actually use to complete a full piece. So, I whipped out some of my old past projects and floppies and checked them…

14 trk, 33 seq/patterns long (“steps” in song mode)

14 trk, 28 seq

23 trk, 25 seq

25 trk, 25 seq

19 trk, 33 seq (257 bars long) [the ones above, I forgot to check bar length]

21 trk, 26 seq (208 bars)

21 trk, 30 seq (240 bars)

19 trk, 39 seq (224 bars)

From the new specs, I know the S2400 can do up to 32 tracks now. (which I never reach… so, good there)

But, if it can also do at least 35-40 sequences/patterns, and also be around 240-260 bars long in Song mode, then I am thinking the S2400 can replace my old MPC.

Does it play Midi files?

Are there any updates or indications of when external midi sequencing capabilities will be added to the firmware and what the workflow will be?

2 Likes

Welcome @jason ! Great question. Was wondering the same myself.

1 Like

Partial answer but MIDI capacities have been added. Check the latest version of the manual. Maximum number of patterns: 99. Maximum numbers of steps in Song mode I don’t know. And if the machine works like other hardware sequencers there might be a maximum amount of memory allocated to sequencing.

1 Like

Hi…
Is there an ETA on Midi Tracks and Sequencing External Gear?

2 Likes

Brad has briefly mentioned some updates on Midi sequencing in the latest beta firmware - would love to hear more detailed info on this!

1 Like

Yeah… saw that recent video… he talks about it briefly here:

Super exciting… the S2400 is now turning into a full, proper sampler&sequencer machine!

3 Likes

Yea! I am psyched;) I wonder by the time I get this if I will need the Circklon (have another year or so for delivery). This will give me plenty of time to figure it out. Although I doubt the SP2400 will have all the bells and whistles…it may be enough. Looking forward to my shipment;)

1 Like

You might not but I recommend the cirklon anyway, it’s an incredible sequencer that is specifically designed for that task alone. You can always sell it easily what you paid for it if it’s overkill but getting back on that list is crazy.

3 Likes

That would probably be the ultimate seller’s remorse if one did and then had to wait again…

@LucidSFX - not saying you will, but if you do…you’ve got a buyer lined up already!

1 Like

No kidding!! Sage advice;)

S2400 MIDI sequencing features from the video above:

• 4 banks of 8 MIDI tracks to sequence external gear
  • MIDI tracks will record MIDI input data from external keyboards etc
  • Each MIDI track can send out midi control CC data to control external gear using the S2400’s buttons, knobs and faders

Look forward to hearing and seeing more on the MIDI sequencing features soon

2 Likes

New short video on MIDI sequencing:

6 Likes