[Shift + Level] to bring all faders to zero, or all faders back to 100% in mixer mode

So, in tracking my songs from the S2400 into Ableton, I generally lower all the mix faders to zero and raise one at a time to track each in to retain the choke grouping effects. This means that I have to go to each pad bank, grab faders in pairs of two, catch the current fader setting, and lower them to zero.

It would be really handy to be able to push [Shift + Level] or something similar to be able to drop all the faders instantly and then when done, hit it again to raise them back up to 100%.

I realize this is a fairly nuanced feature request suggestion, but I would imagine that as more people start fully tracking-out their songs, they’d find it helpful too.

Cheers!

I suppose you don’t have gear to record the separate outs? Sounds like a specific and time consuming way of recording tracks. Have you thought about trying USB?

Asking just in case :slight_smile:

I’ve got a MOTU 16A with 16 analog 1/4" inputs, so I’ve got plenty to record the individual outputs, but I still use the USB audio function because its technically lossless and it’s timing is rock solid.

It is a time consuming way of recording tracks, however it’s the only way I’ve found to record songs into a DAW from the S2400 while retaining the choke-grouping effects. I understand not everybody is doing it this way, but technically speaking it is the best and only way I’ve found to get your songs into a DAW for mixing that truly captures your original performance in the S2400, so for me, it’s the only way.

I made a whole video on the process and why it’s important here if you’re interested.

2 Likes

Thanks. I ll have a look :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe level+back button or something? I’m still hoping they will change the normalize feature in waveform editor to be shift+level. Happens annoyingly often that I’m in waveform editor and want to go and tweak levels and it brings up the normalize feature, would be smoother if that could be shift+B instead.

Could you do it with MIDI i.e. set up your computer so you can send a batch of MIDI messages to 0% or 100% the level of all the tracks as you need?

1 Like

That’s actually not a bad idea… I wonder how I could do that with Ableton?

I’ve never sent bulk MIDI messages like that to hardware before. Maybe a Max 4 Live plugin?

Yeah, maybe Max 4 Live. I mostly use Ableton as a glorified tape machine and have never got deep in the weeds with it and MIDI. Maybe there are some power users here who can make some suggestions?

I do have Ableton though, and have done a fair bit of silly MIDI stuff so I can have a play around if you’d like a hand.

Also, there may be some non DAW solutions. Are you on PC, Mac or Linux?

1 Like

That would be awesome- I’ve made a simple M4L utility tool a while back that worked really well, but that’s the entirety of my experience with it.

I’m on Windows 10 and Ableton 11. I feel like it would probably be fairly easy to make something that can tell the S2400 to shoot all the faders to zero or full in mix mode. I guess we’d have to figure out what the MIDI CC for each fader’s level is in the S2400 first.