S2400 xl edition

:boom: 16 OUTPUTS (with ability to still use the MIX OUT if 16 outs occupied)
:boom: HDMI PORT (self explanatory)
:boom: FX / FILTER CARDS PRE-INSTALLED
:boom: 2 HEADPHONE OUTS WITH SEPARATE CONTROLS
:boom: SSD \ M.2 STORAGE CAPABILITY
:boom: MORE DEDICATED BUTTONS (less SHIFT usage, faster workflow)
:boom: LEVEL METERS ON EACH TRACK (like Zoom L-12)
:boom: Q-LINK ENCODERS (faster workflow)
:boom: UPGRADED ASIO AUDIO INTERFACE (no ASIO4ALL needed?)

Ready to sell my soul (or kidney) for this. :dizzy_face: :skull: :sunglasses:

5 Likes

hahaha love it.

Except the level LED’s are a little early 2000’s for me. Maybe something with those lovely OLED’s that allows granularity for accurate monitoring and matching the overall “peak german efficiency” aesthetic of the machine.

I’d also like to add:

• Gold plated jacks on the back instead of the plastic ones.
  • Total RAM increased from 64MB to 256MB, play buffer from 2MB to 8MB.
  • Bigger screen.
3 Likes

…and a bigger color screen for video games!

HeroQuest Atari ST

2 Likes

So…basically you want an MPC running JJOS…

mpc2500_angle_lg.jpg_3f99cfcaebf2375ebc4226bf2e0dd210

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If a mk2 ever happens I have some ergonomic requests haha. I would hope they’d get us to start a thread with ideas and such if that ever did happen.

Not sure what the point is really, but I decided to spend a few minutes on a very quick mock-up. My suggestions/requests for a MKII would be something along the lines of this (apologies for the lacklustre photoshopping), with perhaps some more buttons for direct access to pages and less shift etc need, but we can leave additions for now, since we’re only in hypothetical dreamland and I spent very little time on this in photoshop.

Generally speaking I’m pretty happy with what’s already there, just not the locations of buttons etc, I find it pretty unergonomic and when sitting at the desk in front of it I can’t even read any of the text on the top row buttons, for example. The machine makes me feel like I’m doing the little fish big fish cardboard box dance the whole time lol. So for me, easier one handed functionality and having all the editing stuff a bit more ergonomically laid out would REALLY make me a happy boy haha.

The third volume knob in the pic would be the input gain.

The data wheel is off the MPC2k (sorry lol) and i would LOVE to see one similar or identical to that on the 2400. It’s THE best data wheel I’ve ever used tbh. However positioning is more important then what type it is really. Move that data wheel to where it’s actually comfortable to use and my hands aren’t covering the screen when I’m using it, especially when left handed, and I’m happy tbh.

Other than the re-arrangement of buttons etc, I’d love to see the following in a MKII should it ever happen.

-That lovely looking cream case they showed off recently with wood sides, and ideally grey knobs and faders.

-SSD slot (perhaps with a choice of 1 or 2tb pre-installed.)

-Upgraded ram.

-Master outs still usable when all individual outs are in use.

-All add-on boards preinstalled (perhaps, depending on price, this could be optional too)

-A cover over the screen, so I don’t have to cut my own and tape it to it (with non residue leaving gear tape of course heh).

-The screen at a slightly increased angle. MAYBE a pop up one that’s easily replaceable would be pretty sweet. If it can be done in a way it doesn’t break easily.

I have some more requests, but at this point, not sure what the point of mentioning any of it is, since I’ve not even heard a suggestion of a MKII yet.

All of this being said, I need to see actual step sequencing implemented (which I have been BEGGING for at every opportunity lol) before I’d be willing to bag another one though. :v:

EDIT: Uploaded wrong pic lol

1 Like

i think the S2400 is really good as a instrument as of right now.
but i did actually found some stuff to tweak – small handy changes for a better workflow.

let me know what u guys think of it. (it’s in the details)

1 Like

Yeah same than you.
4 or 8 leds or several colors for the pad bank.
That’s probably the thing that’s missing the most.
Undo specific button and the quantize button next to the swing button or vice versa would be great. Or just integrate them in the same menu. I don’t feel the need to have them separated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brighter “blinkenpad” functionality would rule. So you can really see them going off. It’s quite subtle as it is currently.

I’m just here to agree with you on the MPC2000 jog wheel. Best jog wheel of any music device that I’ve EVER used. And I’ve used alot.

Agreed haha. Now imagine having a shift button, and a copy/erase button right next to the data wheel, as well as enter just above it, and the transport controls right underneath. Editing paradise!

But yeah, the buttons would need serious rearrangement for me to be interested in a MKII, regardless of the data wheel heh.

They’re mostly all pretty nonsensically laid out too imo, like for example, why is copy and erase 4 buttons apart. And I almost have to go to another country to use the shift button lol :joy:

With the buttons being above the faders, I actually knock them accidentally pretty regularly too, especially wearing a hoodie. Mine are hyper sensitive, and skip around a fair bit, so a tiny knock can result in drastic nudges.

If you inspect my quick edit above, I moved a lot of the functions around too not just the physical buttons, so it’s a bit more concise and sensically laid out for editing imo.

All this being said, I don’t see a MKII/XL happening any time soon anyway, hell, with Caladan just being teased, I assume that will be where they put most of their efforts for the coming 2-3 years at least :man_shrugging:

FWIW If I remember correctly, I think Brad said in one of the interviews with Ken early on in development that he’s not a fan of companies doing a new version of their hardware every couple of years and making the previous iteration out of date. I think he said he was designing this with the thought in mind that if they ever did a MKII, you could just buy an upgraded board and put it in the existing hardware. So I kinda doubt we’ll see a MKII with a whole new layout/design. Take that with a grain of salt cause It’s been awhile since I’ve seen that video, and also because circumstances change.

That being said, I agree that it would probably be a pretty long time before we’ll see any kind of sequel to the s2400. They aren’t even finished tweaking it and doing add ons yet. But I do know that if and when they ever do another 2400 I’d probably buy it!

3 Likes

Basically every company in the world has made new iterations of their standalone samplers / grooveboxes. So I guess Brad would be the first ever to not do it. Besides people can always change their minds. I think there’s a chance that he could build a S2400 MKII in the future and just make it on a “per special order” basis since it would be very expensive. Still lot of folks out there would buy it.

The only things I would change hardware wise is better faders, and a different dial knob. The main knob isn’t bad at all, but I could seem mine getting worn out in the future. That’s about it for me… If they iron out the minor bugs than I am happy.

Have to agree with Brad there. I’m not a fan of naming things MK2 etc because it renders the original obsolete. Prefer calling it an XL or whatever so people don’t assume the OG is abandoned.

1 Like

I mean, making the unit 16 voices from 8, developing an 8 channel filter card, developing a dsp addon are all things other companies would have kept on iterating the same product for. i.e. mk2, mk3 etc etc.

y’all are never satisfied!

24 Likes

I still have to remind myself about the 16 voices, pretty crazy you guys were able to make that happen! Can’t wait for the filter and dsp boards!

2 Likes

I am good with what they already done…I wouldn’t change anything but just bug fixes. Isla in my honest opinion have done a fantastic job. Isla has went well beyond my expectations, especially if you compare all of the outstanding updates seemingly on a months bases. I trust Isla & its staff to do what’s necessary to push this machine to its limits. So, worry about it? It s not like they are unreachable and out of touch.

Isla is a company like companies from the days, if when someone had a fantastic idea they developed it and stayed connected to its community. Isla has obviously chosen quality well over quantity. Just look at Akai, they haven’t made a solid sounding machine since the 90’s. Roger Linn has disdain for how he was $$ treated, different staff changes, different owners and it’s no longer a great company. Akai has obviously chosen making a machine not an instrument, workflow & profit over sound. I own a few Akai’s but the sound is not even in the same league as Isla by a long shot…

So, in closing, I say don’t expect to much when Isla already has given us so much! The Isla S2400 instrument is the best piece of gear that I have purchased in 21 years…

Thanks Brad,
for your genius and vision…

I’m grateful :pray:

Clarence

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more!

Just to clarify, I wasn’t saying I was disappointed by what Brad said (or at least what I recalled him saying), I was just offering information that I thought was relevant. If this as far as the 2400 goes, I still got more than I paid for in my opinion!

Cheers!