Recording midi

Hi all

Seeing as I can’t import midi files to the s2400 I’m trying to record midi notes in from ableton…
I think I have all the transport/midi settings right but no success
Anyone managing to do this?

1 Like

I have not tried this myself, but the S24 does not care if it is Ableton spitting out midi, or a keyboard, or any other controller. As long as the correct midi input is selected in the settings.

The is no midi recorded at all? If so and the correct input is selected, are you sure you are using a midi bank (E-H) to record it? Did you use midi focus, or selected the midi channel in the track setting?

Thanks Syah… You’re right… It doesn’t seem to care at all!
Yes bank E
Midi focus on
Tried both with Din and USB… No luck
I’ve ticked all the right boxes.(that I’m aware of)
Not responding to transport controls either

Just another question: did you test the midi out cable? Does it work when you connect from Ableton to another midi device?

I just tried it myself. Started Ableton (10), created a midi clip, assigned the midi output of the track to a midi port on one of my soundcards. Then connected the output port on my soundcard to the midi (din) input on the S24. In the settings, I enabled notes on the DIN port.

After those steps, I went to the midi monitor screen on the 24 and the notes kept rolling this screen.

Have not tested further, but can you duplicate this?

you need to make sure the shift+pad settings are all ticked correctly in bank E or whatever you are using for midi

easy to miss small details and then it will not work

the 2400 records midi so i suggest starting at the beginning, open bank E (or whatever), hit shift+pad and go through the settings one by one, make sure boxes are ticked (what a horrible phrase to use, i hate myself for saying it)

And support farmers - everyone, support farmers - you like to eat i presume :wink:

2 Likes

not sure where that came from, but full support for farmers here! shop your farmers market every week!

1 Like

I hope you are not from the Netherlands, like I am, with a statement like that… Don’t support a system that is killing our land and killing the planet eventually. Here the dutch farmers are producing so much, that they need to export 75% of what they produce. Insane.
So yeah, support your local farmer!

Ok guys… We need food for sure… But we need midi first… So let’s get our priorities right

Thanks for the help Syah… It worked… For a minute… And then it didn’t… Setting up ableton to send transport control isn’t working right either…

More to be done tomorrow… Will report back

1 Like

you are on a gear forum preaching about exports of food killing the land, think about it :wink:

Still no success with recording midi from ableton… Midi monitor has received messages but only briefly before going blank for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Anyone having any luck?