Midi Tracks - midi input from external controller not working

Ok this one is baffling me.

Im trying to record midi from either my Push 3 or Korg Prologue in Bank E midi tracks. I’ve turned off the midi settings for every sample track to avoid any conflicts.

My settings are currently USB B in and outs ticked in the ‘Sync’ option and then separately in Bank E Midi Track Settings. I can trigger the midi successfully from a pad in teh S2400 to the external midi instrument. However, i can’t seem to record the midi from the external midi instrument into the S2400.

I have also tried using Midi Din. In either USB B or Midi Din options i am ensuring only the ins/outs for one option is selected. I.e If Midi Din, all other options are unticked.

Sometimes it works when i restart my machine. The ‘Midi Focus’ option never seems to do anything. Ideally looking at the Alex Ball video, it appears this should allow the incoming midi to focus on a particular S2400 to record. but so far i can’t get a single midi note to record into the S2400.

Any ideas?

You’re recording MIDI signals, not the actual audio.

When using the MIDI banks non the S2400, it sends signals to your different units to play the audio from them.

If you want to record your synths or whatever, you can’t use the MIDI banks as these just send MIDI signals, not audio.

Record your synths to the regular banks, use the MIDI banks to trigger your live hardware instruments during performance or recording.

Not sure you understand my issue.

Very aware that midi tracks do not record audio - my issues is around recording midi note data into the S2400.

The issue i have is that when i have usb B as the in and out i cannot enter midi data into S2400 as expected. Noting this seems to be a problem on the Push 3 SA which im struggling to setup to provide the bi-directional communication. I’ve noticed that if Push 3 SA is the sound source, the only way i can sequence midi notes via the S2400, is to use another controller into the S2400. I.e. when i plug my Launchpad Pro into the S2400, I can enter notes into the S2400, which in turn will send the notes to the Push 3. In this case the Launchpad Pro is set as the Midi DIN input device and Push 3 SA is the USB B output.

Actually struggling to get any device to both receive and send midi data via USB B. So wondering if this may be a bug.

1 Like

I gave it a try with an iPad over usb B and was able to get it to work (a few days ago), so it’s definitely possible. I’ll check settings and let you know exactly what I did.

Initially, I could only trigger the iPad, but I eventually got to where I could record the midi into the S2400.

Been meaning to reply since your original post.

Control Settings (In sync settings) is most likely your issue. As long as you have Notes In/Out on usb B and your Control Settings set to B as well, you should be good to go.

If you want to record midi from Push, make sure it is sending on the same channel as your Control channel. It can send out to whatever channel you want/need, but to record to the 2400 it has to be the Control Channel.

I hope that makes sense.

Push/Minilogue out channel should match S2400 Control Channel.

Push/Minilogue in channel should be the S2400 track channel.