Rec/Edit + Pad to quickly add events in Step Program mode

Sorry if it’s too much, but I’m just discovering the Step Program mode and want to share my experience while it’s still fresh.

So, I recorded a beat and was editing it in the Step Program mode. Due to the nature of the beat, I had to switch back and forth between the Audition and Edit modes. I let the beat play in a loop trying to play a slice on top of it, checking whether it will fit (“Audition”). Then stop the beat, select the Edit mode, scroll to the position and add the sound. Then turn back the Audition mode on and listen to what I did. Then repeat this again and again.

This constant pressing of the Rec/Edit button really freaks me out, as well as the fact that, before pressing a pad, I always have to think “Which mode am I in?” so I will not add an event accidentally.

I already mentioned this in another topic: I think that the Edit mode should be explicitly activated by the user after they enter the Step Program mode.

Just imagine...

Start the playback, press the Step Program button and see the beautiful dots and how the cursor is moving. Want to edit? Press Rec/Edit and start working! This way the user will first get the picture of what the beat looks like and will even be able to press the Rec/Edit button while being at the position which interests them.

With this in mind, I wanted to suggest another button combo: when in the Audition mode, with the playback stopped, pressing Rec/Edit + Pad could be used for quickly entering events on the timeline, without having to switch to the Edit mode. Tada!

I would appreciate your feedback.

TL;DR In a better world, there could be a quick way to enter Step Program events while also being able to quickly audition the results. And the Edit mode could be less intrusive.