Pre Amp for S2400 to boost volume

Hi!

I’m thinking about boosting the output of the S2400 with a Topping Pre90.

Does anyone have experience with this amplifier?

Does it make sense to use such an amplifier or can the signal be boosted in the same way with plug-ins in the DAW?

Thank you!

I’m just curious about what you’re trying to achieve by boosting the output of the S2400. Unlike some other vintage samplers from the 80s that need a boost, the S2400 can get plenty loud at its outputs, especially if you play around with the gain settings for each track within the S2400 itself. At least that’s been my experience when running my outputs into my audio interface.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I’m not satisfied with the output volume of the S2400.
I have already tested all the volume settings in the S2400, volume and trim always turned up all the way, but even then the output signal would have to be amplified to make the drums nice and loud. Tested IN 1/2 with main OUT and OUT 1/2 without the noisy analog filter.

The output signal of the S2400 is always quieter than the signal I send to the S2400, so I want to send the S2400 to a compressor or amp (or both).

Do you bring the input signal to be sampled into the red range to overdrive the S2400 before you sample? So far I have always made sure that the input signal stays in the green range on the S2400.

When sampling I recommend the loudest portions of your soundwave reach the very top and bottom of the screen. If the loudest parts don’t I suggest normalizing that file so that you can get the most of your dynamic range.

1 Like

Hmm, yeah without knowing your full signal chain I’m not sure why your outputs sound so low. In my case I sample as hot as possible without distortion, or maybe let in a little distortion if the situation fits. I may go into the red when sampling but I use my ears as much as possible as the meters are only a guide.

I run my individual outputs into an MOTU ultralite interface and adjust the trim for each channel there. I usually don’t have to boost the trim much if at all. I’d be looking at getting a similar audio interface, or a mixer with the ability to adjust the trim/gain on line-level signals if you don’t already have those.

Lastly just to be sure, you can adjust the output gain of each track in the track settings, as well as adjust the level range of the faders for each track where you can get some soft-clipping effect if I remember correctly. If your samples were recorded too low you can mess around with normalizing or boosting them as well.

1 Like

I only use the S2400 as an effects unit to send my stereo drum group through. I send my drum group, which has been completely processed with effects in the DAW, to a heritage audio successor compressor, on to the heritage audio symph EQ and then to the S2400.

The output of the S2400 is sent to an Elektron Heat mk2 and from there back to the allen and health SQ5 mixer. I will further play around with the Heat mk2 settings, test the tube amp in the SQ and overdrive the signal in the S2400.

Thank you!

1 Like

Depends on the sample and arrangement, but I always felt the S2400 was the loudest piece of gear I own. Mine seems to be able to reach terrifying levels without breaking a sweat with all the systems I run it through. Although when I start using a lot of weird slicing and envelopes the sounds can get problematically quiet and it’s hard to figure out a way to bring them up without messing up what I’ve created. But that’s more of a noise floor issue at that point!

Hey dude. Have you checked the other outputs? All 8 and the stereo out are more than loud enough on my unit, so perhaps there is another issue in the chain. Without seeing the level of your samples it is difficult to categorically answer the question “Does it make sense to use such an amplifier or can the signal be boosted in the same way with plug-ins in the DAW?”