Midi level SOLO

Hi,

Early bird user here (December 2020)!

My first day request was for mute/solo function on a midi level instead of audio level.

I just upgraded the OS and see this is now implemented in the track settings under “Stop on Mute”. That’s great!

It would be much appreciated if right under that there was the same thing for SOLO.

I actually use solo much more than mute and currently when you solo it cuts everything out whereas on midi level all the tails would remain.

Midi level mute & solo is of course how it works on MPC and it would also would be great if we could set this behaviour on a global setting instead of individual track pad settings.

Thanks for your consideration!

4 Likes

Just posted my request of the similar feature w current update

Just posting here a year later to ask if this was ever implemented? Haven’t updated FW since.

1 Like

Here is how the midi level solo function works on MPC3000 (skip to 5:21):

Such a great performance tool, much more useful than mutes.

As it is currently in audio level on S2400, the feature is broken/ruined imo.

3 Likes

I do not understand what you are asking for. Can you be much more specific?
It might help if I clarify how the machine currently works.
Mute and solo are treated exactly the same. Soloing a track or muting all other tracks is exactly the same thing.
There is a function in the code called stop_tracks_if_mute that is called when any track is muted or soloed. In that function, if stop_on_mute is set for a track, then the audio is stopped and, if it is a gated sound, then a MIDI note off message is sent.

The solo works exactly like on the 3000 and (I guess) what is asked for, so maybe @xanax has older firmware than the latest?

Hi Mickey,

Ok let me clarify, on the current OS I’m on (oct 09 2021) by default mute and solo behave on an audio level, like on an analog mixer. As soon as you engage mute or solo, all other sounds are cut off. While this may be desirable to some, it is not to me. I prefer my mute & solo to behave on a midi level, meaning the note event is either muted or solo’d. This allows the tail of sounds or loops to finish decaying, it is much more musical and ideal for my way of performing.

This functionality was added in firmware via the “Stop on Mute” option in track settings. When unchecked, the mute behaves on a midi level instead of audio level.

What I’m asking for is that the same thing be added to Solo (i.e a “Stop on Solo” option to uncheck).

Hope this clears things up!

PS: Ideally if this could be also placed in global settings because its a bit of a PITA to have to set this on each and every sound when youv’e got all banks filled with sounds per project.

Oct 21 isn’t the current firmware, I think that is like 3 updates behind. The current firmware would be Feb 24th 2022. Not sure if that makes a difference in what you’re discussing. Just pointing that out.

I know I’m not on the current firmware but have gone through all the new features in the changelogs and haven’t seen it listed so I have to assume it has not yet been implemented. Would be easy for you to check. Unfortunately I am away from my unit and am also having SD card issues so can’t update.

1 Like

Do you want a second setting for solo, so that the mutes can be set to a different setting than the solos?

Are you sure you cannot do the same as on the 3000?

Simple use case:

• setting ‘stop on mute’ is not checked.
  • kick on 1
  • snare on 2
  • bassline (loop of 1 bar) on 3

Behavior:

• playing the 1 bar pattern and muting the bassline (anytime) will let the bassloop play to the end of the pattern and then stop playing on the 1.
  • playing the 1 bar pattern and soloing the kick (anytime) will let the oneshot snare ring out (if it was still sounding of course) and then mute and let the bassloop play to the end of the pattern and then stop playing on the 1.

Isn’t that what the 3000 does? Or is there more to it?

Yeah that’s what I’m asking for, a second setting for solo.

And also a global setting for either audio or midi level mute/solo.

This is how it was implemented in Tempest and is a fast way to have your mutes/solos behaving like you’d prefer on the entire project.

By the way this isn’t exclusive to the MPC3000, i just put that video there to illustrate the feature (I actually discovered it on the MPC60) but all MPCs behave like this by default as do most sequencers. Midi level mute & solos make a lot more sense on a midi sequencer than audio level which is more of an audio mixer thing and uses more DSP than simple note event behaviour. Not sure why audio level is the default on S2400.

2 Likes

@syah71 What you describe is exactly how the S2400 works.

So no hope in getting separate solo settings or global midi level mute/solo settings?

Separate? So, using syah71’s example, if I mute the bassline, then it is silenced, but if I solo the kick, the bassline is not silenced. Is that what you mean?

That’s one possible scenario for it I guess! What do you think?

Okay, I guess now I understand the request. Thanks.

1 Like