Internal filter and effect or Add external effect

Hello,

I searched the forum a bit before writing but I can’t really find an answer to the question I’m asking myself.

I really like this machine which I continue to explore but I find that it lacks a “basic effects” part, like a reverb and/or a delay. Is this a future project? distant? i saw a discution about this but is it still relevant ?

And otherwise a question for users: how do you manage this in your production process? With an external console, using separate outputs with send effect or something ?

There are two expansion boards planned. An analogue filter board that will add 8 analog filters and separately a DSP FX board that will add 8 digital mono FX / 4 stereo, potentially allowing VST or Clap support. I would follow Isla on Facebook and see Brad’s detailed update on the progress of both. They are clearly still prototyping and testing but it seems like these add-ons are def on the agenda but may not be anytime soon - hopefully this year! Tbh these are both extremely exciting projects but I would focus your efforts on learning the S2400 in its current form.

I personally use the 8 analog outputs from the S2400 and route them to my Tascam Model 12 mixer. Channels 9/10 can be used to send FX this way and I also have the mixers submix output routed back to the inputs of the S2400. Another option would be to track the 8 outs using USB Audio instead of a mixer and then your DAW can apply the FX per output that way.

Whilst I see the value of core FX, it’s perfectly manageable to use external FX instead and sample or track out to your DAW.

4 Likes

Great news!

I don’t use a daw. I’ll take a look at this mixer. Thanks

@Fred I run my S2400 thru the SP404MK2 for FXs. I’m DAWless also.

Hmmm, ok, but in this case, the effects are applied to all tracks, right ? I mean, the main output of the sp2400 fits into the sp404 then you add the effects ?

I was thinking more of a configuration where the effects are sent per track at different dosages. like with a mixer.

1 Like

If you’re into hardware only, I have a great resolution for you. I do this as well. I was looking into hardware effects units about 4 months ago. I visited the Sweetwater website and discovered the best solution… Eurorack synthesizer and effects modules. If you want to create a small Eurorack case with just effects, you can. You can also choose which multimode filters you like as well. These modules allow external audio inputs and outputs. Choose the ones you desire. You can choose a module to use for each seperate output on the S2400 to go into. I highly recommend the Behringer 2500 multimode filter as well as the multimode wasp filters. They’re made well and very affordable. Erica Synths also has a great multimode filter as well as 2 multi effects processors, delays and reverbs Hope this helps , Enjoy!

3 Likes

I use eurorack modules too. for another purpose, but why not for effect. I could certainly make a dedicated case. That requires having a whole chain of modules with a mixer and effect modules, but let’s admit. I will study this, thanks

1 Like

Mixer with FX sends to pedals and an analog spring reverb. Meris LVX & Mercury X are amazing. I like the flexibility to swap FX.

2 Likes