Expansion Effects

When every one talks about the effects expansion boards. IMO it sounds pretty BASIC!

Like the biggest shoot for the moon is the Ensoniq DP / ASR-10!

Granted those effects are DOPE!

But don’t forget the

Yamaha A4000/5000
Roland SP-808
Korg KP+

Like take the best out of all those, and toss that into the S2400!

ASR
A4000
Sp-809
Kp3

:man_facepalming:t2:

Throw in a second card and it’s some REAL analog saturation and distortion!
Mix it UP with like a
Analog Heat
Fatso
Charisma
Vibe!
:exploding_head:

IMO ya add that your pretty DAMN close to the greatest BeatBox ever created.

NoW if it had some Ensoniq looping algorithms, and you could Shift Select the banks to stack and layer samples. :man_facepalming:t2: :money_mouth_face::face_vomiting:

I don’t know if this is possible. But like what if some of the inputs and outputs could be used as a hardware send and return. HOLY FUCKERY!

IM HO the only left after all that, would be a editor. :kissing_heart:

:v:t3:

3 Likes

You can’t just take other people’s stuff and stick it into your machine…imagine the lawsuits. You clearly don’t understand how that would work. Lol.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

So your thing is to score the internet, and take the things people post out of context, and comment something that makes you sound smarter!

That doesn’t actually make you smart or even sound smarter.

An frankly, I’d bet money, you don’t talk to people like that in real life.

Im sorry for what ever your going though, that makes you feel like this is your only means to get all the negative energy out.

Have you tried making music?

Effects and improved live resampling capabilities for sure. I’m prob buying an SP404 to get these features on my S2400. Which I guess is a workaround but given talk of a daughter board it would be a sick upgrade to include high quality fx.

1 Like

Yea SAME here! The SP-404 mk2 looks so dope. Been messing with sp-808, for a couple weeks and I’m in love with effects. I never really got that deep into them. BUT NOW I’m like I want MORE! More hardware effects. I feel like they sound different than plugins. I’ve always been a plug-in guy.

1 Like

Tbh my favourite FX by a mile are Valhalla and I wish they were in a hardware box. I prefer anything for sound design to be in hardware, EQ/mastering not fussed and in most cases prefer a DAW.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of those. I’ll check them out.

I wish cycling 74 wouldn’t have ditched pluggo. There was so many crazy plugins in that bundle for mangling sounds.

My favourites are Valhalla Ubermod, Valhalla Retroverb, Valhalla Shimmer and Valhalla Supermassive. Supermassive is free and in many ways is the best of the bunch as it can do huge cloud reverbs, standard echos and delays, etc. Ubermod I got more recently and love it’s chorus, dim d and delays. Retroverb is my default choiceas a reverb send / return and is perfect for classic sounds and drums. Shimmer sounds better than my Eventide did to my ears. Seriously the dev is a genius - amazing plugins and super cheap.

2 Likes

Wishful thinking is so strong that your sane input has been cancelled by the community

I’m pretty sure all of us would love to have those effects including those Akai MFC filters, etc. I’m honestly surprised to see that the floppy thing is coming together

1 Like

More thank likely your probably right. I’m looking forward to the effects card. I just hope it’s not some lame bread and butter effects.

I never had the AKAI Filter or even played with one. But some more filters would be sick, digital and analog. I’ve been messing with the Formant filter in the ASR-X lately. That shit is fucking DOPE! You can arrange the formats. So you have like agh owe ee ya yo O A E ext and you can arrange them in different orders how ever you want. So you can kinda make words.

FADE IN/FADE OUT is all I’d probably want the S2400 to have as extra. Would that even be considered an effect?

why can’t the character of a vintage machine be emulated and the algorithm put inside the S2400? See that sort of thing all the time in the software world, no? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick

I wouldn’t consider in an effect. But rather a sample editing feature. But the more sample editing features the better IMO!

An easy work around would be to use your amp / volume envelopes and then resample. If you hadn’t thought of that. Attack for fade in, and decay for fade out.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking about this just now! I was also thinking about how I could use the enevelops to shape the transients of my kick and snare drums.

Yep the filter envelopes, AND the pitch envelops. You can do a lot with those. When synthesizing drum sounds the pitch envelope is key. The work around is using a saw lfo to modulate the pitch. If your synth doesn’t have a pitch envelope. But the s2400 does.

If they ever add bank layering or laying samples. That alone would make this a beast! In theory you would then be able to synthesizer a kick drum or snare ect. With a wave table. Then add a sample layer. Maybe a dirt or noise layer, a second sample or another synthesized drum sound.

But then what if it had some analog oscillators, on the expansion card! :man_facepalming:t2:

I have some drum samples I made that I’m going to run through the envelopes when I get in tonight! That fade idea you put me on is going to be the first thing I try. Also, I’m going to try to mess with the transients of the samples to make them knock, crackle and pop! I haven’t really messed with the enevelopes at all on the S2400.

the envelopes are pretty sick tbf if a little clunky to edit with the faders. shouldnt be clunky but i think they seem scaled weird - occasionally confusing to dial in shapes im used to on a normal synth envelope. but i am happy they are there, and its great there are two. if they were made loopable then you pretty much have an lfo style modulation. sep LFOs would be better - perhaps even available in the same section whereby 3rd and 4th option = lfo 1 and lfo2.

Y’all can take FADE IN/FADE OUT off the list for me. The volume enevlope serves that purpose for me now.

1 Like

I love that feeling when you realize that it isn’t a feature that you are missing but rather an innovation you haven’t explored yet.

1 Like

Yup. It works wonderfully for me. I actually want to see if I can fade out a portion of a sample now. I think I can, but I haven’t fully explored the volume envelope yet to really know.