Hello! And My Suggestions for the S2400

This is my first post - hello everyone!

I have had an S2400 for a couple of weeks now. At first I was like ‘this is cool, but Live is more flexible and useful for a modern-day producer’. Then one night, after a couple of drinks, I really dedicated myself to building a track with it - using a mixture of one-shots, chopped-up breaks and loops sampled in from Live, I ended up with a track which I was proud of. And I said to myself ‘this is the best sampler I have ever used’. I come from a background of MPCs, SP-404s and Octatracks, among others. The S2400 smokes them all. It sounds much better than those devices, it’s more tactile, has a nicer screen, is far better built and the creative process is exhilarating.

It’s my beief that the S2400 is already as close to perfect as it has any right to be, however I do have some suggestions for improvement - some of which may already be implemented and I’ve missed, so please forgive me!

Save while pattern playing
Saving currently halts creativity for a moment and loses groove.

Legato Pattern Switch
Jump from one pattern to the next without missing a beat - no need to start from the beginning!

Mix Out Panning
While solely using Mix Out (no individual outs) pads can be freely panned without assigning to a channel.

Play pad sound during record countdown
At the moment the pads don’t play sounds during record countdown - I like to play the pad/s during the countdown!

Customisable artwork on startup
Hello back to Felicity & Penny! Really lovely artwork in there, I would LOVE to have my logo in this machine on startup!!

Reset all faders across project
Rather than amending a fader’s volume etc across all patterns manually.

Plenty of scales and modes across the faders in MIDI mode and beyond
Because y’know, synthesists and sample-heads suck at music theory.

MIDI arpeggio
To complement the above - maybe as an either/or option when note repeat is engaged?

MIDI Tracks Randomise Notes (locked to scale)
Because random is fun, especially when locked to a scale

Pad Preview plays at same level as sample
Because deafening yourself while browsing samples on a turned-down track is never fun

Additionally, I found a bug:

Weird Characters in Sample Mode
When naming a sample, holding Shift and pressing the Select encoder brings up garbled characters

5 Likes

Hi, welcome on board :slight_smile:
You can create your logo at startup.

Have a look at this thread:

About save while pattern playing, it’s not possible afaik but I created a request about relaunching the play button after saving. I press run 99% of the time after the machine is stopped for saving so having this automated would be nice. +1 it if you think it’s worth having it.

And in a few weeks, you may wish the machine has a one-hand shortcut for UNDO, so +1 the most popular feature request if you think it’s worth it.

Have fun with the machine. The next update is coming soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you so much! I’m really excited to do this. :smiley:

I will +1 about the ability to relaunch after save, as I too do this 99% of the time after saving. Thank you for suggesting a worthy compromise.

A one-handed shortcut for Undo would be cool. That said, I’ve only just got used to the one we have haha.

1 Like

+100000 for this.