For all you maniacs with two S2400s

How are you using both of them? Because now I’m a maniac, too, and I’ve pre-ordered a second one.

My plan is to leave one deeply integrated into my primary MIDI/synth setup to use as “just a drum machine,” essentially like a LinnDrum with lots of sounds, and then the other one for beatmaking alongside my SP-404 MKII.

My second one is purely for ‘back up’ should I ever need it. It stays in its box in the closet but gets pulled out for upgrades. I also like to sometimes work away from my dedicated studio room, as it helps me to focus in when I’m on a time crunch. So I’ll sometimes set the second one up in the living room or on the dining room table and work from there for the day/evening. But I’ve not yet tried to integrate two at a time. I haven’t felt a need with the kind of music that I make.

1 Like

That makes sense. I love this machine so much, and I definitely don’t want to wind up without one, so that’s part of my rationale too. I really think I won’t be using both at once, but the current one is set up in a way that makes it less than super hands-on playable, but it’s by far the best setup for it in my space.

2 Likes

I have my heart set on buying a second machine as I keep running out of sample slots and memory, looking into the idea of another 2400 or perhaps another brand of sampler for side car duties. new Roland SP404 mk2 looks interesting,

The SP-404MKII is great. I had a 404SX for a long time, and I loved it, and sold when Roland announced the MKII, because I wanted to beat the flooded market. Then the MKII took a YEAR to be available lol.

The 2.0 firmware on the MKII makes it reminiscent of an older MPC in many ways, to me. The effects are really good, and it makes lots of things very performable. I think they have a similar kind of ethos, despite being pretty different.

1 Like

I was thinking of getting a second one, as had been working crazy overtime during the summer and wasn’t going to get a vacation but I bought the MPC2500 with full memory expansion and SP404 MK2. Would still consider getting a second s2400 if I came into some money again though…felt a couple of different machines gave me sum depth and new things to learn to keep me on my toes creatively

The 2500 looks solid. How do you feel about it? I can see it, the 404mkii, and the S2400 being a mean combo.

made tons of records with just a 2500 running JJOS, solid machine, feels much better with the Right side jog wheel upgrade. I might dig it out and try running it alongside my 2400, the trouble is the size of these machines compared to the new SP404 or 1010 music back box and not so good for longer samples. also, I’ve never slaved my MPC, so not sure if it will like that.

1 Like

Yeah it’s great, I had a 2000xl before so know my way around an MPC. It compliments the s2400 nicely. It is a big step up from the XL IMO, built in effects as standard, decent EQ and a compressor. A lot of people don’t rate it and say sound quality isn’t there, but am sampling thru a Roland MX1 which I think gives everything a little bit of punch to it anyways. Also it’s used by one of my favourite producers; Alchemist and that was a motivational factor in getting it and the price compared to a fully loaded XL…

For those rocking two s2400s, how it going? Interested to hear how it’s working out, pros? Cons? seriously considering the idea again.

I got a second unit in October 2023 when Isla offered the limited B-Stock discount. I had been thinking about getting a second unit for the last six months or so and saw the B-stock discount as my moment to strike.

I am only just now incorporating the second unit. Since October I have been trying to finalize all of my existing projects- a lot of this work has been mundane things like naming files, naming patterns, color coding samples, organizing folders, etc. Things I have been putting off for far too long so I had quite a bit of catch up.

The idea is now that I have my original set of projects polished off they can now split and evolve separately on these two units (no sense doing this “house keeping” twice :wink:).

Initial reasons for a second unit

1. Being able to “DJ” two units. I come from a DJ background so doing a continuous mix between projects was always a goal for live performance (Both units are slaved to a drum machine so I can change the project on either unit without stopping the music).

2. As mentioned above, having two different evolutions of a project. Endless possibilities here but a quick way to A/B changes was the prime motivator.

1 Like

Ace, love the mixing between two units idea!
I wanted to have another 2400 just to give me additional tracks. How are you placing them? I suppose if you’re mixing between them side by side makes sense. If I take the plunge, I would need to find a two tier rack so one could be placed behind the other at a slight angle as I’d like to have the transport controls on the same side.

Current setup. Two S2400s, both slaved to the DSI Tempest, routed through the DJR 400 dj mixer. Turntables are still connected but obviously not functional in this arrangement- fortunately it takes only a couple minutes to swap out.

5 Likes

totally ill

that’s a lot of :fire: right there, what kind of jams come through that set up most often? Any mixes or songs online?

1 Like

This particular set up is new for me but if you want to check out my older stuff: The Hierophant | Listen on hearthis.at

1 Like

Lol. How about the ‘maniacs’ that own a Dave Smith Tempest? (I still have mine). I’m curious, how much use do you get out of the Tempest these days?

I understand the curiosity, the Tempest is one of the most polarizing units in the gear community.

In this current DJ type setup I use it in sparing amounts but fairly frequent. The majority of what is coming through the mix is the S2400s and a little bit of Tempest to punctuate the beat and add some extra flavor here and there.

You can read plenty of opinions about the Tempest and I think almost all of the criticism and praise has been equally fair. I couldn’t agree more with the overall sentiment that it is extremely powerful but you have to put in the time and motivation to get anything worthwhile out of it. I bought it as soon as it was released and have used it off and on ever since.

The best way I can sum it up- I have invested enough years in the Tempest that I would immediately buy it again if anything happened to my current unit. However, if I had no experience with it and were considering buying it for the first time I would suggest something else.