Ever upgrading to midi 2.0?

Any chance midi 2.0 will ever be implemented?

1 Like

I have been wondering the same thing as I build towards my future set up.

1 Like

Which MIDI 2.0 features are you interested in?

1 Like

Auto mapping / instrument definitions specifically for the future firmware update that circklon is working on to support midi 2.0 high resolution midi clock, bi directional communication mapping.

As the protocol matures other features may be present. This will future proof the sp2400 IMHO.

1 Like

An older thread from Sequentix but useful as they are indeed planning for it and have already come out with Cirklon 2.0.
http://forum.sequentix.com/search.php?keywords=midi+2.0

> The effectiveness of MIDI 2.0 will really depend on the physical layer.
> Even if the protocol is backwards compatible with serial MIDI, it will likely be very hard on the bandwidth.
> To take full advantage of the MIDI 2.0 would probably need a hardware update to Cirklon 2.0
> Nothing drastic, maybe just a TFT screen on a faster CPU with USB host and ethernet support.
> I would make the new mainboard and display mechanically and electrically compatible with the existing enclosure, UI and IO boards, so there would be an upgrade path for existing owners.
> It would need a couple of extra holes in the rear panel, of course.
*> *
> I need to do some more research on MIDI over networks, but it has an obvious speed advantage over full speed USB, plus ethernet can be transfomer-coupled for electrical isolation.
> The RTP MIDI procotol for MIDI 1.0 supports timestamping, so you can get the jitter down to 0.1ms.
> I’m sure the options for MIDI 2.0 over RTP will be better still.
> 100 meg ethernet runs a shade faster than serial MIDI.
> The iConnectivity MIDI 4+ supports RTP, so a simple cross-over cable connection would give you 4 extra in/out ports with better timing than USB.[quote=“Mickey, post:3, topic:3417, full:true”]
Which MIDI 2.0 features are you interested in?
[/quote]

I am curious about property exchange if there is the ability to recall kits. I suspect no for the SP2400 given its nature but if so…boom!

Direct from MIDI orgs website

• Higher Resolution, More Controllers and Better Timing
  • Profile Configuration
  • Property Exchange

Specifically in the context of recalling sets for live use which in my case will be from the Cirklon.

When considering clock,

• “What’s more, major timing improvements in MIDI 2.0 can apply to MIDI 1.0 devices—in fact, some MIDI 1.0 gear can even “retrofit” certain MIDI 2.0 features.”

• Also Jitter timestamping would be cool and is backwards compatible with Midi 1.0 (think Steinberg MIDIX8 etc)

• The SP2400 already has both USB ports to host and transmit so I suspect clock being accessible.

Things I am not sure about…

• Increased micro tuning and inflection. I feel this detracts from the intended use (though other may disagree).

• Will it make my scotch taste better…probably not but here is to hoping!

I’d say let’s give MIDI 2.0 a decade or two to stabilize and get adopted :wink:

6 Likes

For me the biggest feature would be automapping.

1 Like

Considering that they already spent a decade developing it, it will be adopted. This isn’t a firewire, USB 3, etc protocol. It uses existing technology. Not saying it is simple but waiting a decade is a bit much. It will be adopted as all manor players have had a hand in its development.

2 Likes