Midi Jitter smoother

Because all daws suck USB midi timing wise can you make a jitter smoother on the midi clock input? Something to preserve that beautiful smooth clock averages so it sounds tight even when its following a less than perfect midi clock…

Omfg this machine rules my world rn
Thank you isla godz

Have you measured the sp2400 clock? Hardware is generally not the issue. The DAW is. I guess you already know this.

Even MIDI 2.0 wont solve this but will help improve. Possibly sample accuracy can be obtained via usb if treated as a VST. Personally I got the sample to be OTB so DAW integration is way off my radar. You could try to improve the computer clock by tweaking the BIOS (C-States) and focus it on realttime performance (services and thread handling) but this doesnt change the fact that different clocks clock differently.

What kind of jitter are you experiencing? PM me if tou want to explore.

Peace

1 Like

We cannot smooth the incoming jitter and still stay in sync. We need to lock on to each incoming MIDI clock message. The display of the incoming clock’s BPM is an average which is updated on each quarter note. The display is just informational, it does not affect the S2400 playback - only actual clock messages do.

3 Likes

If you really want the tightest sync to a daw really the only way is to use an audio clock to the Clock input of the s2400. I use the DC-coupled audio output of my Arturia Audiofuse Studio to send an audio clock to the S2400.

You can also use something like an Expert Sleepers AsimO or ER-M Multiclock from any audio card to convert an audio trigger pulse to midi clock that runs tight with the daw timeline.

3 Likes

Has anyone slaved their 2400 to an ERM? Thats what I do now and it works fantastic with old MPCs. With the new Live it is terrible latency and jitter and I need to slave my hardware samplers.

Would be interested if anyone has measured the latency and jitter out of the 2400. Curious if it is as tight as the older MPCs.

2 Likes

I’d highly recommend the Expert Sleepers USAMO as previously mentioned. It’s cheap plus you can use a MIDI thru for the sync to go to more devices.
Roughly around £130 for the USAMO + thru box, no need for the £400+ ERM multiclock.

3 Likes

Thanks but I already use the ERM in my studio. I had the USAMO and the ERM is much better.

Any info on how tight the SP syncs?

I’m using an Multiclock with a Pyramid as the master and S2400 synced. Haven’t measured anything but no noticeable issues so far.

1 Like

I think saying that ERM multiclock is “better” than USAMO is being a bit unfair. They both serve exactly the same purpose, and work in an identical way (audio pulse out of the DAW translated into a MIDI clock pulse). It’s true the multiclock has more features (multiple outputs, separate shift/shuffle per output), but these are not necessary for everyone.

I chose USAMO over multiclock because I have Cirklon as the centre of my studio timing, so I only need one stable clock output from the DAW; the rest of my devices are clocked from Cirklon (which offers the same per-device delay settings as Multiclock).

Sorry, I’m not trying to be a dick, just don’t want people thinking they need the ERM at £360 when the USAMO would meet their needs for £100.

2 Likes

Its better for me. And here is why:

The usamo plugin fails to start in ableton consistently after i hit a track count of around 20. It is a known issue and Os says its an ableton thing. Not sure on that one but its never been resolved thT im aware of.

Usamo is not consistently sending clock out of my rme interface and constantly requires fine tuning to get close. Also noted by os on his compatibility site. No finnicky dial needs to be fine tuned on the erm, it works out of the box with about any interface.

The erm sends midi out along with clock so i can send that midi from ableton into my sequencer of choice and into my synths.

The erm has 4 outputs so i can clock 4 pieces of hardware directly with no thru device if needed. This is excellent for portable live jam syncing.

The erm has an onboard user interface that i can quickly adjust for latency.

The erm plugin is rock solid in ableton and never hiccups or crashes for me. Set and forget.

So yeah, the ERM is far better for me. I have been down both paths and for my studio it is no contest and worth the extra money. If the Usamo works for you that is awesome, but for me that was the case for the above reasons.

I too had a cirklon and a usamo combo for a while and switched to the multiclock because of the issues i had. And yea the cirklon is super tight and can clock everything but how many ppl have a cirklon? Not many. So your solution is nice but it clearly hinges on having a very expensive sequencer that has a multi year waiting list.

This leads me back to my original question. How tight is the SP compared to the cirklon?

I too can vouch for the USAMO with Cirklon combo. I use the USAMO plugin in Ableton, current OS is Big Sur running on a 2019 Hackintosh. Goes out USB through an Aux on my X32 Rack and into the USAMO where it spits MIDI out to the Cirklon and on. The key for me was putting the plug-in into an External Audio effect in Ableton. Just dropping in a basic MIDI track gave mixed results.