DSP Plugins and stuff

A random fyi for people browsing the patchstorage link, but I found that also selecting “utility” from the category drop down menu gave me even more effects options that seem to have been mis-categorized or not labeled as effects.

1 Like

Can you give us more information how you deal with plugin compensation? Certain plugins introduce more processing time than others.

Another question: right now, panning is done per output which means I only have 8 panning positions. If I ran multiple samples through the same output channel, I pan both of them. Have you thought about making panning for each 32 samples possible via the dsp card?

2 Likes

Brad, can MIDI notes be sent to the FX bus to control plugins like pitch shifters or vocoders? Will the architecture support 3rd party instrument plugins, even if Isla doesnt focus on it?

To expand on [tommikvnze] question - can you tell us about plugin latency and how that’s handled in general please?

For LFO destinations - [EricMiles]mentioned “LFO destinations like filter cutoff, resonance, filter & amp amount… Kinda ala EMU 6400, etc.”

Adding some destinations to his list: loop start/length, sample start point, all the envelope settings, for “granular” (pun intended) control.

Also to allow a LFO like modulation source from one plugin (which if I understood is how you said you saw as the best way go generate modulation sources) to map to and control a modulation destination on different plugins, in addition to internal sample player voice controls.

Thanks again - very exciting news

That isn’t a thing yet, right now you can send any of your 32 to either mono/stereo or L or R.
The DSP mixer can be set to either 4x stereo or 8 x mono, or any combo. thereof.
Mono DSP bus can be panned in the stereo field.

"Brad, can MIDI notes be sent to the FX bus to control plugins like pitch shifters or vocoders? Will the architecture support 3rd party instrument plugins, even if Isla doesnt focus on it? "

Yes, the DSP card can handle midi input and pass it to certain tracks. It’s not baked into the UI just yet, but it will be.
Yes, it supports 3rd party plugins. Our focus on S2400 is audio plugs, not instruments. but if they target ARM/Linux 64-bit, then it should work already just fine.

"To expand on [tommikvnze] question - can you tell us about plugin latency and how that’s handled in general please?
I cannot, at the moment. That said we haven’t seem to run into any issues with that.

For LFO destinations - [EricMiles]mentioned “LFO destinations like filter cutoff, resonance, filter & amp amount… Kinda ala EMU 6400, etc.”

Adding some destinations to his list: loop start/length, sample start point, all the envelope settings, for “granular” (pun intended) control.

Also to allow a LFO like modulation source from one plugin (which if I understood is how you said you saw as the best way go generate modulation sources) to map to and control a modulation destination on different plugins, in addition to internal sample player voice controls. "

I don’t have the head space to talk about LFO stuff just at the moment, there is so much going on over here.
I’m not saying NO, but It’s just something I can’t really talk about at the minute.

Thanks again - very exciting news
fanks! :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the in depth response Brad

my guess is that the latency will be very, very low given the power of the dedicated cpu and its sole use as a dedicated effects host & co-processor

What I had in mind was that for certain effects such as VCA based if the return is not in sample playback sync with the send bus then there could be phasing. With something like a delay or reverb on a send, latency wouldn’t be any issue. For other effects it could be.

A possible test -

Put a few instances of a compressor on one of the sends where the plugin has some latency, or any compressor with a plugin in front of it that adds latency, you get the idea.

Or you might have a programmatic way to introduce latency using the host api itself, which may be the best /most controllable way

Then listen for phasing artifacts between the channel with the send up and return blending into each other. If there is phasing, a perfectly good official answer is, then dont do that

I love this instrument. thanks again!

2 Likes

This may feel like a cheap poke - but I’m surprised it’s so wholly overlooked:
…I was thinkinking it would also be nice to be able to move-out the inbuilt audio samples and waveforms which are not my cup of tea, where I and others who don’t make exactly the same music might like to have our own samples and stuff in there. While care being taken to not overboat shipped DSP plugins - it would be nice to have that choice in the flashed audio in the unit… Wipe internal flash sounds; this will take a moment; Select a bank to write to flash; Done. :wink:

I guess you can if you want to.
There is only 128mb there

Any info or upcoming updates on S2400’s internal midi-sequencer? …specifically for recording/sequencing and/or automating external synths, external analog-filters/fx & other external gear? (via an external kybd midi-controller)

• Recording/automating CCs, such as pitch wheel, mod wheel, etc. (smooth & non-stepped preferably)
  • Fix notes being cut-off upon each loop repetition (ie: being able to sustain notes longer than pattern/track length… good for song-mode)
  • Lock Pad/Track during List-Mode/List-View in Step-Edit Mode (easier/faster to navigate thru & edit many several patterns)

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

PSA:

Brad has received DSP cards and has stated 2 weeks until they will start to ship to the end user.

Source: recent video update on Isla’s FB page.

2 Likes

respectfully, this doesn’t belong on this thread.
Please post this in the feature requests area. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is presently no way to replace the internal flash with one’s own audio files etc.
And 128Mb is massive for samples. At about 10mb/min stereo at 44.1, that’s over 12 minutes of stereo audio!? The SP1200 had 1.4 megs? My old SP12’s had 256k or 1.2 seconds something? I made a lot of songs with that 256k… It would be nice to have a feature to clear that space, and again, copy-in stuff the owner uses regularly. Just one’s own stock stuff - per se. Thanks for your reply though.

The problem with this is that it is just a small flash chip with no error correction.
Those chips only have a finite amount or write operations before they start to fail.
They are baked with a file once here in the production stage and then left alone.

If we open it up to allow you to write the flash chip, it will go wrong at some point.
Then what?

We could potentially do something that allows you to re-write the flash chip say, 5 times and then its locked.

2 Likes

Super excited about this DSP card. When will they ship out to the customer? If they are shipping right away, then please take my money… I will order NOW.

Have we talked about which Airwindows plugins are shipping with the card? I’ve used some cool ones like iron oxide, console, adclip, sub bass, and swell (side chain). Would LOVE some amp simulations too (for super dirty drums).

@bradholland It’s been a while since I’ve been on the forum, but I vaguely remember you saying something either here or on a video about a European distributor. Any chance the cards will be sold through the EU distributor? I had a hell of a time getting my S2400 delivered to Spain because of issues with UPS and I’d like to avoid them altogether if possible. It’s not a deal breaker but just wanted to know. Thank you! - J

2 Likes

3 Likes

I’ll buy the DSP card just for some kind of RMX16 style nonlinear reverb. Very exciting stuff.

I know the Facebook post said that it would start shipping 2 weeks from the post…is that still the reality???