Here is a severe sound bug that I ran into. Please help, because it’s getting kind of desperate.
The issue: S2400 stopped playing sounds. Instead of sounds, it plays two audible clicks: one at the beginning of the sound, the other at the end. The sounds are still sequenced, but now they are just two clicks each. Some sounds are bursts of digital-like noise.
— old and new projects
— sequenced and pad-triggered sounds
— sounds that have just been sampled into the machine
— internal sounds and ones stored on the SD card
— headphones, mix out, individual outs
— both the hifi and the vintage sound engines
— firmwares S2400_20220224_082026.upd, S2400_20211122.upd, S2400_20210208_065928.upd and even S2400_20201210_142252.upd
Additionally: as I try to sample a sound source, I hear the monitoring just fine, but once I record anything, I get a message reading ‘sample clipped’, although the levels were fine and monitoring was far from clipped.
— sound previews while loading from internal memory or USB. For example, I can preview the sounds perfectly fine, and as I preview them while a sequence plays, I also hear previews being sequenced. But once I load the sound, it becomes clicks.
— when a sound is loaded onto a pad, the menu reads its correct length and bitrate
— the metronome plays perfectly fine
— monitoring the inputs works fine
— the clicks SEEM to respond to filters, pitches and envelopes (as far as I can hear). Pitching a sound up or down SEEMS to affect the character of the click, although it’s hard to tell
— previously created projects load fine, the sequencer works, no errors are thrown
Prior to this bug the machine stayed locked in the hardcase for several months.
It seems like an issue of audio playback or audio sample management BEFORE the sample data is processed by either of the audio engines. What’s weird though is that sound previews work fine, disk reading is OK, metadata is OK.
I assume that the following happens:
When I preview a sound in the sounds browser (or run the metronome), it gets sent to some sort of dedicated bus where it bypasses audio engines and filters. As a result, these sounds play out fine.
But once the sound gets assigned into the main audio pipeline, something happens. It seems that the DAC is unable to convert the digital data into audio. This might be a hardware issue, but I need to make sure before I go to a technician to get it tested.
Already tried (and failed):
— updating to latest and earliest available firmwares (both regular and forced updates)
— wiping all settings
— changing SD cards, booting up without an SD card
Here is a video of the issue: Clicks instead of sounds in Isla Instruments S2400 - YouTube