What Speed SD Card is Recommended?

Thanks for reminding me! Amazon is having a sale right now. Just scored a 32gb 90mbps card for $7.99!

1 Like

nice 1 guys !

wow i just got a 64gig extreme sandisk with 170mb/s for a tenner hahaha brilliant, thanks for the reminder people

i will never use 64 gig in this so i am all set

just…

need…

a…

2400 now :cold_face: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Something someone just pointed out on Facebook that I hadn’t even considered is that the S2400 saves WAV files. I’ve been thinking about storage capacity in relation to fitting an entire ASR10 beat on a 1.44MB floppy. Clearly Ensoniq’s compressed sample files are much smaller than WAVs.

Reposting this from Flux for anyone who is combing this thread for info, as it directly answers the OP question.

Thanks to all the members who’ve posted in this thread, it really helped me to cobble together some info that I found helpful when trying to make up my mind.

Here’s what I landed on:
SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 128GB UHS-I U3 V30 Class 10

…and here are some of the thoughts that went into my decision:

1. Cost/Value - The card above is probably overkill in a lot of ways. It’s a bit more than I would have liked to spend, but I don’t have tons of expendable income anyway so I’m looking for something suitable for my use that I can buy once and not have to worry about for a long time. (possibly forever)

2. Reliability - I’ve used SanDisk in the past and it seems consensus is they’re as solid as flash memory gets. Of course I’ll have to remind myself to back-up frequently, but just alleviating the reasonable concern that I could lose a bunch of data - when I inevitably forget to back up - is worth the investment.

3. Size - 128 GB is probably more than enough, but here are my rationalizations: 1) Keeping large sample libraries on hand for quick access 2) Resampling existing libraries at 26.04 kHz/12 bit as needed 3) Sampling a lot of records and bouncing stuff from a DAW at 48/24.

4. Speed - 170mb/s is probably way more than fast enough for streaming/previewing. However, the comment @tomswift made about transferring large amounts of data is a great point and one I found useful. Especially for backing things up. I am not patient when it comes to this stuff.

Now I’ll just have to wait for my 2400 to arrive!

6 Likes

I also ordered the SDSDXXY-128G-GN4IN, 256GB+ was just too expensive 128GB seems like a nice size, it’s still going to take around thirty minutes to fill it

1 Like

30 mins to fill 128GB? 128GB would hold 3,200 mins of 8 track 16/44k audio! Honesty I think my 32GB card will be more than I ever need.

i think he means drag n drop time

Yes, and apparently I got it wrong, to copy 128GB over USB 2.0 it would be about 35 minutes and the same data with the Extreme Pro (170 MB/s) it would be about 12 minutes

2 Likes

Some things to consider:
Transfer rates are highly dependent from filesystem and copy protocol used and the structure of the files themselves.
Copying many small files will take much longer than few large files.
Also take into consideration using something like robocopy (with parallel streams) over the copy commands of modern OS when dealing with larger data migrations.

1 Like

I’m sure this has been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. Does the S2400 read Fat32 or do SD cards need to be formatted in the machine? My assumption would be that it reads Fat32 but I’d like to confirm before I spend the time to fill a card with WAV files.

I’d use exFAT rather than FAT32 if you want to keep compatibility between different OS’s.
FAT32 has a file size limit and is rather antiquated. exFAT is compatible with almost everything and has virtually no file size limit.
If you’re mainly in the WIN world, I’d use NTFS (if the S2400 can read/write it) for obvious reasons of usable capacity. The block-size is much smaller than exFAT, so fragmented sample libraries of rather small file sizes will not blow up like exFAT.

1 Like

To use exFAT Microsoft charges a licensing fee, with a quick search 10 years ago it was $300k

I doubt if the s2400 is going to support it, @bradholland can you confirm if it will be fat32 or fat32 (or something else)?

1 Like

i assume the 2400 formats the card no? i may be tripping but i am half sure that was mentioned in a video

Didn’t know about the licensing fee for exFAT support in consumer devices. Interesting bit of info.

I think we can speculate that FAT32 will be supported at least.
NTFS I’m not sure. There is no license needed, but the implementation seems to be not so trivial after glancing over some google results.

1 Like

Not that anyone cares but a friend just hipped me to where SD card speeds come from. Specifically, we were talking about the confusing marketing on Lexar cards that say things like 633X but also say 95mb/s. Apparently these numbers are based on CD-ROM speed which is 150 KB/s. 633x = 94,950 KB/s, which is almost 95 MB/s.

4 Likes

the S2400 reads, writes and formats FAT32 (and for now FAT32 only). FAT32 has a size limit of 2 TB (terrabytes) and FAT32 files have a size limit of 4GB. that’s 12.4h at 48Khz 16 bit Mono…

2 Likes

Can confirm ‘Sandisk Extreme (black and gold) 64GB 150 MB/s, class10’ works fine.

2 Likes

Doing a lot of video stuff which has a heavy load on SD cards, any current SD card and possibly even up to 10 years old one should just take a leisurely stroll playing back audio IMHO. I’ve had a Zoom R16 for donkeys to record live bands and I have never taken particular care what SD cards I use, they were of good average speed and all recorded 8 simultaneous tracks up to 24 bit, 44khz without breaking sweat.

I would be more concerned buying one that is deemed reliable, from a reputable manufacturer for example and then backing that up as often as unless the data is not important to you.

Have been using a 256 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s, and it works great.