Round Robin?

Really wish we had lazy chop, that feature is amazing.

1 Like

You mean like being not only able to load one sample on a pad but multiple samples and then round robin through them ? I think it’s done like this on a MPC and it woukd be sooooo cool and quick. I have many sample libs with multi-sampled sounds and being able to use them without having to glue them together and then aet slice points etc, but juat load more then one on a pad would be FANTASTIC

I wonder if anyone would make a video explaining the round Robin and show some different usage examples. I don’t really understand it to be honest.

honestly, since i am still new to the ISLA and since i’m used to ableton on one side and kinda know round robin on other hardware samplers, here’s my 2cent:

the 2 versions i knew are on ableton etc, that you can take a longer file/loop, set as many slice point as you like and then you modulate which slice is being played with an lfo or draw it in or a random generator …whatever.

then there is the classic round robin, which means, you got for example 4 slightly different recordings of the same snare and each time the snare is triggered, one of theses samples is played. With this you achieve, that your snares (or whatever) don’t sound the same each time. Of course you can vary this: 4 different snares. different filter or eq with each hit. Endless possibilities. but the thing is: you don’t need a loop and slicing, you just put different samples in a folder. (btw you can do that method too on ableton etc of course).

now on the ISLA we got (so far) only method #1 (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG - AS SAID: NOOB):

• you need a loop or a file which contains the different sounds you want
  • you set the TRACK SETTINGS to round robin (and chose which play. mode for it you want like random etc)
  • you turn on slice and multimode
  • by this i already got the sample sliced to different pads but can adjust the start points etc in the sample editor

then everytime the pad is triggered it plays another slice of the file/loop

(i hope this is right but i am almost sure, there’s more to it and as usual i only understood half of it ; ) Until then i thought it is like in ableton where you have to set the needed number of slicepoints first, but i could not find out how to set multiple slicepoints on the ISLA, only 2 if needed but also 20 if needed)

btw; imagine, auto random time stretch could als be brought into play

i think, both methods are great and lead to different results and i would be very happy to also have the classic method = have multiple samples on one pad and round robin through them

1 Like

honestly there’s not much to it

Round Robin gets its name from polyphonic synths where each key press triggers the next oscillator

in the S2400 each press of the MAIN pad triggers the next slice, with a choice of modes to determine the order slices are triggered.

in addition, you can choose whether the 8 x SLICE pads activate RR, or MAIN pad only, or both. This is useful for taming round robin which can be wild if used constantly. E.g. you can tap a drum pattern with slices for 3 bars, then trigger round robin for 1 bar from the MAIN pad - giving you instant variation to the end of each 4 bars.

I use it a lot on breaks, where the sample continues to tail off filling any space between the next trigger.

1 Like

That’s freakin awesome , I don’t have my Isla yet but I hope thats possible.

That is absolutely possible, if you dedicate an entire pad to an instrument you can have up to 8 variations of it for RR mode.

sorry if my English isn’t that good but as explained, that method is a feature request by me.

The now existing method is to slice a loop or you could first glue several sounds together and slice the file then.

both methods lead to different results, both to have would be great

i didn’t know that, that’s great ! thank you.

Could you explain please how to do this? i tried to figure out now with the manual, but round robin is not in there. thanks!

Round Robin is there, make sure you’re reading the updated 28th April version

couple of ways to achieve this:

1. copy the same sample across all 8 slices and adjust each pads pitch, filter, envelope and level settings

2. load up a sample file that already contains different snare samples and edit the slice start/end markers

Multi-mode sync will give you more possibilities too

sorry, but i don’t know what “copy the same sample across all 8 slices” means.

and the second method is clear, but you need a long file then which contains different snares.

But what i asked for was if on one pad a sample filder/pool could be loaded. On the MPC i think it’s (unfortunately only) 4 different samples and then you can round robin through them. You don’t have to clue them together first, you just can load 4 different samples, not just one, on one pad.

And can i ask this again: there is no way to set a certain number of slices, like if i want exactly 3 slices in a longer file? and not always 8?

thank you!

in multi-mode, with loop/slice button lit, hold copy and tap A1, then tap A2 while still holding copy. You have just copied the slice to another pad. This can be done in each multi-mode.

correct

I agree and wish there was a way to assign different samples to the 8 multi-slices, if there’s a way to do this already I’d love to be enlightened

not that I’m aware of, but agree it would be useful

thank you - much better now for me to understand.

Still i think we are talking about 2 different things with what i called “second method” or MPC method. Maybe this yt makes it clearer, as you see, you don’t need slices for this method. It will maybe lead to other results but also is very good. MPC Live | Round Robin, Random, and Step Sequencer Tutorial - YouTube

yeah i’m not familiar with the MPC method, I was just explaining how you’d load different sounds to each multi-slice. There is no way to avoid slicing up a single file, that i’m aware of

On the ISLA the equivalent would be to be able to put a different sample on each pad in multimode without having to slice a file.

like assign sample 1 to Track 1 Pad 1, sample 2 to Track 1 Pad 2, sample 3 to Track 1 Pad 3 etc etc.
and then roundrobin through them

1 Like

I agree, like I said above, I wish that was possible too :slightly_smiling_face:

And until this would be available (if ever), there is a quick and easy workaround:

• load 8 samples into a bank (say B1-B8)
  • create a simple pattern of 2 bars. B1 on the one, B2 on the second beat, …, B8 on the 4th beat of the 2nd bar
  • solo bank (press and hold bank button and then press any solo button)
  • bounce

You now have your 8 oneshots merged into a single sample. The distances are equal, so when you enter multi slice mode, all slices are already perfect. RR to slices and there you go…

2 Likes

Since the S2400bis called Creative Music Instrument and since the other (on other samplers long time approved ) method would add lots of creative potential (outputs, fx routing, choke, filtering etc) besides faster workflow to not interrupt your creativity, i got good hopes it will come. I mean, Brad makes even incredible addons like new filter and fx boards possible no one would have dreamed of. But of course thanks for the tipp.

1 Like