Ping-pong loop

Ping-pong/alternating forwards-backwards looping pretty please!

For me this is an essential part of my process. It is very useful for joining slices together in alternate tempos and great for creating interesting effects and textures.

26 Likes

PING-PONG LOOPING!
Absolutely 100% agree with @oteeba !!!
Ping-pong is an absolute must have feature in my sampling style and without it I feel like a guitarist with no fingers.

9 Likes

I wish this would get more votes! really really want proper looping!

5 Likes

+1
Highly needed for sample based music :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yup.
Ping-Pong Loop is the metric that I use to determine if a modern sampler is worthwhile or not.
You have to make exceptions to this rule for old gear like the SP-12, EMAX, etc where it either hadn’t been thought of, or wasnt possible because of the hardware, CPU etc.
I remember back when I first got a PC and could run FastTracker II, (1995?) and I discovered ping-pong loops and cross-fade. I was blown away, and it has since become necessary for my sound. Elektron samplers like the Octatrack, DigiTakt and the even Analog RYTM are great for their ping-pong and cross-fades, I use those lots.

2 Likes

Have to revive this topic. I know there are other Hip-Hop / Jungle producers out there that can’t live without PingPong or Alternating looping on their samplers.

This is the one thing that keeps turning me away from the S2400. It’s such a basic feature! It must be implemented in the next firmware release.

1 Like

Yeah I was once again wishing for the basic cut/copy/paste audio edit features for this reason, amongst others, the other night… Since with copy/paste and reverse, I can make pingpong loops.

Cut / Copy / Paste is a bit out of scope.
But for the sake of argument, if it comes down to what is easier to code into the audio engine firmware, ping-pong loop is the winner.

If there was a feature request for Cut/Copy i’m not sure I would give it a +1, Rarely a time that I want to go beyond basic chopping of samples, and that is totally provided on the S2400, multiple ways.

Ping-pong loops are however, something that even the most basic samplers have. It shouldn’t be something that requires me to export my audio files to an external waveform editor to accomplish. All of the spontaneous magic of having the ability built into the machine is lost with that method anyways. It’s no substitute.

ISLA, Please give us Ping-Pong loops.

2 Likes

Yeah I have already requested edit functions and was pretty much just told to use other machines. PingPong has also already been requested and discussed.

My comment is a plus one btw, as well as a reminder that if it had the absolute most basic editing features, it would already be possible. :+1:

+1again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel that. I use other machines, and so do many of my peers.
Fingers crossed that someday this machine will have all these features, ping-pong, edit functionality, etc. Then you and I and many others probably wouldn’t need to use other machines.

Appreciate the discussion none the less. Thanks for commenting!

Thanks for reviving this topic. I dearly love my S2400 but this is the one thing that’s really missing for me. Like you say, it’s a simple basic feature that could likely be quite easy to implement. It’s the only feature request that I’ve requested since getting the machine in Feb 2021 but doesn’t get much love from the S2400 community. I suppose, if you’ve never used ping pong loop you don’t know how much you would miss it once you don’t have it. I never used it until 5 years ago, when I got my MPCX. Since then it’s been an essential element.

1 Like

:+1: I have been thinking about this. I have some ensoniq samplers and i use this feature a lot. This would be very nice.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! The Ensoniq EPS16+ and ASR-10 ping-pong. Those machines also have some of the best onboard effects ever. Love them.

I use the ping-pong looping on my Akai X7000 and S700, and the Roland S-550, all 1980’s old school 12-bit machines. Also, on the E-mu Emulator III and the E3XS.

2 Likes

I also own the EPSm and the bidirectional xfade looping
Is just incredible. Amazing that it’s a 1988 sampler.
Would be great in the S2400.

1 Like

Here’s a +1 also

I wish you could move the sample start after the loop start for times when you have pesky vocals over a drum loop.

1 Like

Just out of interest, how do you implement ping pong looping / what is so useful about it that makes it a necessity for you? Only asking as I don’t use it or have a strong desire for it. I’d like to understand what I’m missing out on :grin:

1 Like

You can watch and listen to get a first person understanding and feel for how ping-pong is used, and why it is such a powerful feature of sample based music production.

This Jon Wayne video, will really dive into some of the importance of the PING-PONG. Not only that, if you have time to watch the entire video, he gets into some deep ideas about sample chopping and how you can get the creative flow out of the chopping process.

3 Likes

I mainly use it for extending the length of samples that aren’t quite long enough to make it to the next chop because the sampled material is at a faster tempo than the beat being made. In the MPCX, I set every sample chop that is in the program to ping pong loop and it is generally immediately effective on most of the slices. Also can be used to create interesting effects and textures with longer samples

4 Likes

Same here. I m using it to extend the length of certain chops. A crossfade option would be welcome to smoothen the looping part :slight_smile:

1 Like