Performance tips to add variations to your loops

Just looking to hear from some of you what cool on the fly performance tweaks you make to break up the repetition of loops. I mainly input using the TR style as I’m not much of a finger drummer, but on other drum machines I like to play with the attack / decay, filters and effects of each sound to create variation over time. Please blow me away with some of your techniques, ta.

2 Likes

I am planning to use effect pedals on individual tracks. Sync the S2400 to an analog sequencer which runs its own sequence (8 or 16 steps or random) and then control the pedals via CVs. There are several synth-friendly pedals available, controllable via CV or MIDI (e.g. Dreadbox, Strymon, Eventide).

I use long loopable samples prepped on my computer lately, basically the maximum length allowable to be below 2MB (resample and convert to mono helps), and I fill all 4 banks up with loops of that size. In that configuration, the sequencer seems to choke if I record every sample to trigger at the beginning of the pattern simultaneously :confused: so I instead have looping turned on (in the loop settings of each sample) and set to repetitions:99. And then I, as you say trigger things by hitting the pad at the correct time. Cue bus can be used to preview what you are doing, but just getting used to it and keeping track of volume levels allows this sort of mixing on the master to be comfortable enough for me.

Anyway that was word salad. That’s my approach to a loop based performance. I use filters and volume to structure a performance out of this, and pitch to make things slow down/catch up or just retrigger looping samples as necessary as rounding errors will and do cause some loops to drift out of sync.

2 Likes

If that’s too boring, you can add a multi-mode instrument, but it’s a bit cumbersome to toggle back and forth between multi-mode and still manage your overall mix. Or just get a scratch sample and set pitch range to max and scrub the pitch fader back and forth as fast as you can in a scratching motion while spamming the pad. It’s rad :smiley:

2 Likes