Never thought I'd use the S2400 in this type of track

Although I’ve been busy in the studio I’m having a difficult time doing some of my “non synth” oriented soundtrack work. My mind just hasn’t been focused lately but I’m trying my best. I figured I’d trying my hand at a simple cover from one of my favorite monster flicks. Ray Kellogg’s The Giant Gila Monster This actually ties in perfectly with the announcement that the film has been restored and getting a special edition Blu Ray release (as well as Kellogg’s other film The Killer Shrews) from the new label The Film Masters (Which I believe are an offshoot of The Film Detective).

Anyway, the Theremin driven theme by Jack Marshall is very simple (sounds like it was recorded with no more than 6 people or so) but fits the lumbering creature so well. Marshall was one of Capitol Records’ top producers in the late 1950s and 1960s. He had a varied career as a jazz, rock and classical guitarist and also as a composer, arranger and record producer.

The Prophet X is doing the electric guitar, upright piano, clarinet and faux Theremin and as utilizing the onboard step sequencer in parts.

The ISLA S2400 is doing the drums (Snare, piatti crash and timpani) as well as some of the sequencing. The first time using the S2400 for this style of music…it surprisingly works very well in keeping the foundation of the track.

Overall, I’m happy with how it turned out. I hope my mind gets back on track and I can focus on some more original orchestral pieces. Perhaps a Western or Sword And Sandal type piece.

℗ Everett Dudgeon 2023

6 Likes

that’s pretty cool. I saw this and thought I’d mention in solidarity that today I started writing a darkly ambienty sort of thing with mine that so far doesn’t have drums/perc :eyes: I’ll probably pair it with my Octatrack or something for effects.

1 Like
1 Like

Yup. One of the best :slight_smile: Can’t wait for the restored Blu.

1 Like

A man of culture I see! :pinched_fingers: