Midi tracks in Ableton

Hi ! Newbie question…

I don’t have the s2400 yet and I know part of the fun is working without a daw and then exporting your tracks to your daw when you are done jamming.
Is it possible however to record midi into Ableton with the s2400 and adjust the grooves with groove pool for example? In other words refine your beats/midi tracks within ableton and trigger the s2400 with those midi tracks? (I can’t find any examples of that process on YT or in tutorials…

Thanks!

Yes. Absolutely. I have done many experiments with this, most of which I have not gotten around to reporting here. The question is, will you be able to incorporate it into a productive workflow?

In my experience - not really. If you are just interested in sequencing with the computer for a single phrase, maybe. But there are some latency issues (not even predictable ones) which will probably be an obstacle to you.

For example, I can program a very detailed and fast phrase in my DAW of choice and send the MIDI data to the S2400 no problem, and it’s a snap to record it (DM me when you get yours if you have any trouble setting that up, but it shouldn’t be a problem), but while an absurd density of notes ARE actually actually recorded correctly, many others will not be - this is pseudo random AFAIK.

So, again, if you work on a phrase-by-phrase basis, you should be able to get a good take out of it. If, however, like me you want to port entire projects in your daw to your S2400 (and I did get SO close to that), you will consistently run into timing problems no matter how you tweak things. That’s at least how it is with RENOISE, which is kind of the perfect DAW for doing this kind of programming.

Anyway, I drink too much beer. Good luck!

1 Like

Good point! thank you so much, this is helpful

1 Like