Midi Out/Midi Focus In Sample Mode

I need help with a feature I’m sure used to be available but now is not. I have a keystep running into Midi In on the 2400 and Midi out running to a Quadra Thru midi splitter to a few synths. I used to be able to jump into Sample Mode, play a chord or something from one of the synths and record it on the 2400. Since one of the more recent firmware updates I think this feature disappears. Now when entering sample mode, midi focus and my keystep seem to be disabled. Works perfectly again as soon as Sample mode is exited.

I have read about the live loops and see how it might help, but after trying it out, I find using Sample Mode to be more intuitive to me. The main thing being you don’t have to have the sequencer running in Sample Mode like you do in Live Loops.

Any chance this could be revisited?

The easiest workaround here is to use midi thru and manually set the Keystep to the midi track every time you want to sample. I tried the live loop thing but I didn’t get on with it, there were pops and clicks in some of the recordings - think I saw a bug fix for that so I’ll try again at some point.

1 Like

do you go switching cables between out and thru or use a different kind of set up?

yeah i switch the midi cable at the back of the unit from out to thru, it’s a minor pita. I assume there’s a good reason why midi out is disabled when sampling, but I’m not sure.

Damn, hope to get this one noticed. It was such a useful feature, and still currently works with MIDI Out in Live Loops mode, so perhaps it could be an easy fix.

Bump Bump!

Hi,

So, we just looked into this. Basically, there was a fairly catastrophic bug where, when you were in Sampling mode you could make the machine crash by sending it MIDI Clock, which would start the sequencer which should not be possible in Sample mode.

The fix was, unfortunately for you, to disable MIDI reception when in Sample mode.

We’ll make a ticket for it, and Mickey can look at it again on a future update, but there are a lot of other projects going on right now so it’s not going to be a quick fix. I’d suggest, if this feature is integral to your workflow, that you revert to the previous OS for now. Sorry.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response. Really appreciate the effort. I do like to work that way, but this is just a hobby for me, so I will just play around with other methods and look for this feature in the future.

1 Like