BUG / Problem / Repair - Sampler Mode (SOLVED)

Hi everybody!

I cannot use the sampler mode on my S2400

What happens is, I plug a synth into inputs 1/2 or 3/4, which can be clearly and properly heard on the home screen / mixing mode. The synth is also laid down just fine into a live loop when this mode is engaged.

Now, when I hit [shift] + [sample], the mute, solo lights briefly flash up to some height like there is an input signal, and then do nothing. When I hit record, I get “sample is empty”.

things that i have tried

• all of the settings in input mon menu, and combinations therof (gain levels, etc).
  • different gain levels in the sampler window
  • flashing firmware to latest version
  • reverting the firmware to previous version
  • listening through both HP out and Mix out
  • twiddling the little input gain nipple on the back

Has anyone had an experience like this?

Here is the backstory. If anyone has suggestions, read this part, otherwise it might be TL;DR:

I used to post here all the time but it has been a while. I want to ask the forum before I submit a ticket in case I have embarrassingly forgotten how things work. As of now I see no “troubleshooting” section of the manuaI. bought my sampler about 3 years ago and it has worked flawlessly the whole time (at least, insofar as mine not being any worse off than anyone else’s ;). Cheers to the ISLA team for exceptional build quality.

The one exception is that while I had it powered on and connected to my PC for an extended period of time, it glitched out and started making a horrible noise a couple of times and distorting the inputs/outputs, but this was a year ago and I chalked it up to an issue on the computer’s side. I’ve also seen the sound get distorted like that when the S2400 has crashed before (sound keeps flowing, but becomes garbled).

No other problems until recently - it started the first time I tried to sample something after updating to the most recent firmware. I am not necessarily connecting it to the update though because I did not use the sample function until a month or two after updating.

Anyway. Thanks for reading.

Have you tried deleting the S2400.set file?

On the sample screen does the meter at the bottom spike momentarily each time you change the input source?

SOLVED

The problem had nothing to do with audio signals or DSP at all, and everything to do with MIDI.

It seems like you cannot route midi notes by proxy through the S2400 to an instrument using USB B to DIN, then pipe the audio of the instrument back into the S2400 and sample it as things currently are set up. It works fine in every other mode and menu of the S2400 except the sample window, which is why this was so confusing to me at the time.

If anyone was wondering about my setup: I had a little mini USB midi controller, a Novation Launchkey Mini Mark II that I was using to trigger an e-mu Proteus 1, since it is a little rackmount rompler with no keybed and the Launchkey has no DIN out, and usually requires a laptop.

After making sure to select control port = usb host and the appropriate control channel for your synth in the sync menu. Go to bank E or wherever your first midi only track is, and go into track settings for that track. Select pad mode = pitched and channel = track. This allows your usb midi controller to treat the S2400 like a laptop and control vintage gear. Makes a cute coffee table setup; a slick little solution and worked real nice until I tried to use sample.

I am not going to bother with a feature request, but obviously if the dev team are here I think this would be really valuable to implement. :wink:

PS - Thanks. aleksklax for the assist! Good idea but was not the cause.