Input monitoring: gain x10 distortions

I saw users complaining from time to time that x10 gain distorts way too much and sounds like crap without signal being in the red zone which is a problem when recording LiveLoops. I’ve had this problem too which is a big annoyance because I have to amplify the signal elsewhere before it reaches the S2400 and use input gain x1 instead.

I created this thread because I wanted to start a centralized discussion and I think @jaIVIalill might be having this issue.

UPDATE: After trying everything again having learned to gain stage better, I know realize that this was my mistake in the first place due to possibly monitoring the signal from my mixer and from the S2400 resulting in distortions. This was a rookie mistake and, although I was aware of my mixer and gain staging, something still must have slipped my mind.

Could you post a video with the sound? I don’t think I’ve experienced this and I often use the x10 setting for live loops.

Ensoniq EPS to S2400 Live looping 1st Beat
Ensoniq EPS same sample by itself 2nd Beat

You really notice a difference on certain samples. sometimes youll hear pops and crackles and a little more distortion. It can actually make it sound better in some cases lol but its rare.

Heres a quick beat from the SP 1200 to s2400 livelooping

Strange!

When i use the s2400 alone i go X100 gain sampling from my laptop and wax and it sounds really good. Something happens with the samplers - live looping into the s2400. I tried a yamaha vss-100 livelooping into the s24 a few months ago and i didnt use the sampler, i just played keys and it sounded great. Nothing obscure pretty much identical from one to the other in both units.

Could be wrong, but i dont think its just the live loopin ive tried sampiling other machines into the s2400 sample recording as well with similar results. The Sp was just serviced in July.

Well for me it’s both input monitoring and live looping. This is because we select the input for live looping from input monitor menu. I remember distortions being evident when monitoring a simple sine wave from my synth. That way all distortions become obvious immediately.

Can you check how your laptop and turntable sound outside of Sample menu with input monitoring enabled and gain set to x10 or higher in Input Monitor menu?

P.S. Although, the whole topic is kind of crap because I have learned my ways around this long ago and not sure if it wasn’t a user error in the first place. Hence this topic is in general discussion subforum and not under bug reports. I’ll try it again with my synth and see how it sounds with gain.

After trying everything again having learned to gain stage better, I know realize that this was my mistake in the first place due to possibly monitoring the signal from my mixer and from the S2400 resulting in distortions. The whole discussion is pretty much useless. Learn your mixers and gain staging!

Interesting. To me it sounds as if low-pass filter was applied.

@Melkerpetterson I saw a menu item called Filter Mode in the LiveLoop params. I haven’t ever tried using filters with LiveLoops but do you think it could be it? I’m asking you because you seem to be the active member I know who also uses LiveLoops a lot :slight_smile:

About checking the analog input? in input monitoring? I checked it and tested x1 x10 and x100 and all sounded good to me. Also tested without it and there was no problem with handiling the sample. I just go str8 into the s2400 from my laptop or turntable no mixer. It does kinda sound like theres a LPF applied. I believe it wasnt though bizarre it happend that way. Also sounds like there was more bass in there.

Ill test lowering the gain in live looping settings and get back to you on that see if that makes a difference.

Hmm not sure it has something to do with the filters, they are only applied on playback and the file being recorded is without filtering. Try hitting shift+pad for a live loop and save it as a sample to a pad, does that sound any different?

From the first sound examples posted up here it kind of sounds like some phasing to me. Could it be that there was a stereo sound source (with less than ideal mono compability) and input monitoring settings were set to L+R mixed?

Still should not result in cracks and pops like that i quess…

Also I noticed in the third example that it doesn’t sound like it’s clicking the first time the pattern loops, the pop get’s added on the second round. How long was the loop you’re recording and how long was the recording?

I just had shitty headphone on me when listening so I might be wrong!

I just made it and dumped it to the computer didnt save those quick beats. I dk if the input monitor settings were set to L+R mixed? I just started it up and live looped so whatever it is on boot up. The third example was the sp 1200 for some reason i really always have bad luck trying to live loop that into the s2400. For these examples I just played the sequencers from the sp and or eps into the Liveloop at the same bpm , in liveloop so you know u have to hit the pad to record so after while recording the loop i hit that pad again before the loop goes back around because when it overdubs it sounds even worse. They were just 1 bar patterns. Thought that was strange how it did that pop on the second time around too. The crazy thing from what ive expericened within owning other old samplers is its very hard most of the time to sample a sampler into another sampler expecting not to get some rufflidge.

ever since the s2400 came out and they added live looping ive been super pumped. I only wished the audio sounded as good as if you were live looping into the pc from other samplers. im very impressed with these preamps in this machine. If the live looping was unlimited or 20 minutes of live looping i would have no use of a computer for making beats anymore. Which in itself the s2400 would be like a pc of its own. Recording vocals and live looping would be a game changer. I would sell my laptop. And icing on the cake if your pattern got saved into .wav or mp3s files and you could just upload them from your sd card or if there was an isla app you could play your beat back that you saved would be legendary. Nothing would be in its class. Would be so sick!

In the next firmware there will be more memory for the live loops so you can record longer loops. You’ll also be able to live loop in stereo!

1 Like

Shamwowww! Thats awesome really glad to hear. Stereo is huge dude. Would you also consider maybe adding Phono L&R white and red? Alot of old samplers and synths might benefit from this even turntables.

Adding where?

Into Live Looping, Is it possible to add Phono L&R to record other gear into Livelooping?