Come on then, let's see your studios

I sure hope some of the crazy prices I’ve seen floated out there don’t begin to take root ha. I passed up an Emax 1 for 300 last year when visiting my friend in NJ for the Wu Tang doc premiere and reunion show! I didn’t want to carry the big (it was keyboard version) unit through NY and the subway and then the train back to Bmore so I opted for an analog filter instead. (I always pre-search craigs whenever I’m visiting somewhere, especially NJ/NY because they have so much more stuff all the time) and try to get something. That way, it not only makes sense to make more use of trip, but also a cool time/memory is baked into the gear so to speak. Emax I and II are def on my list still, I’ve been filling in a lot but not those yet. I did just get a Mirage finally though, that’s another I’d passed up quite a few, but a beautiful shape rack unit that had the rare sampling cartridge with DAC finally popped up and I had to make it happen and am glad I did, cost a lot more than others I’d passed up but I knew the cart would be a premium. I def want a nice Emax ideally a rack for space concerns. :old_key:

2 Likes

Here in Europe the prices are already more than crazy for running EMAX1’s. It’s like 800€ upwards :open_mouth: .

That was a really good price you passed on. But I can understand, the EMAX is a really heavy unit.
My EMAX keyboard I bought for around 250€ in like 2010 and stupidly decided to sell in 2012 for 370 was wrecked by DHL due to it’s weight, I guess. The buyer was not happy, I was not happy, DHL didn’t care and I had to give the buyer a substantial discount. I wouldn’t sell it again, if I had one, lol.

Wow, the Mirage! I always thought about getting either that or the ASR10 keyboard. But a good deal never materialized unfortunately.

Those vintage samplers (plus Roland’s classic units and the first Emulators) are so cool due to their unique ways of transposing and their base sound. I can recommend JunkieXL’s videos from around 2018 on that topic. Really interesting stuff.
If some good enough deal materializes, I will own one of those beasts in the future again :slightly_smiling_face: .

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that with DHL! I’ve had bad experience with FedEx, someone sent a rack unit loose in box(!) and ears got all destroyed, real sad experience.

JXL sampler video is great for sure, dam near sold me on the old Roland sampler(s) ha, all his vids are great actually but the one with the samplers is killer, with the Emulator and everything woowee true champ dream setup.

Def get an ASR if they pop up, I was same way, always wanted one, I had one near to me pop up last May, I got it from a guy who bought from 1st owner who produced stuff on it, great deal, had scsi, but he said "a few segments are out of screen (I thought like a segment like microwave clock numbers) but it was actually a few characters. So I was lucky to get a replacement screen which is a whole display board, it requires whole thing to be disassembled and entire new panel board to go in, so have to address that. Long story short, I wound up with a 2nd one with purple screen and no scsi a couple months later, these never pop up let alone local to me, so need to have someone swap some stuff around. Need to connect w someone familiar with ensoniq tronics in my Baltimore area.

1 Like

Oh man, some sellers are just too lazy… sorry to hear.

Haha yeah, he also almost sold me on those Rolands😅.

Cool about the 2 ASR’s! Are they keyboards or rack units? The purple screens were aftermarket, right, and there were not many made?
Hopefully you can find a knowledgeable guy for the swaps needed to make that one a perfect unit. The other unit will surely find a new owner.

1 Like

Keyboards so biggg. :ship: No the purple screens were the later models from Ensoniq really cool! No easy aftermarket stuff possible I know of either for a non-solderman ha as the screens are the entire friggin display board (buttons and entire panel), I couldn’t believe it, I’d never seen ASR pop up around here and it’s funny how this stuff seems to happen in waves, where a bunch of similar gear starts hitting sales/ the bay at the same time. I’m into all this stuff, earlier this year was a flood of SU700s. ASR-X and Pros seem to come in waves too, sometimes pretty dry, then like 6 of them will pop up. I had just got gotten the one ASR-10 and then the purple popped up and I knew I had to get it, as the purples don’t pop up often and to not have to ship it was clutch. But yea, I’m looking forward to getting that all together, wound up getting the S24 and other stuff so got diverted and :money_with_wings: etc. I try not to get more gears as I have to learn and use what I have is the credo, :mechanical_arm: but I look for deals etc. Used to have ASR-X Pro and really liked it, split it w a friend back in day, he wound up selling it. The ASR-10 has a great sound and FX, I highly recommend, goal is for it to be a lifer w me. I’m contemplating selling my 2000xl which I never thought I would but thinking of some things, I grabbed an MV while still at great deal and am looking at other things. I’ll post some stuff when I get things together. What I need to figure out is recommended tables/desks/stands etc. I watch these youtubes etc and am like man I gotta figure this out so I can set up. I have wire storage shelves from like the hardware/wholesale clubs, but need to get proper desk sorted. Am thinking of getting a dining room table and putting in center of room.

1 Like

This is what my simple little home studio looks like at the moment. I have the roland sp 202, 303, 404, and a op1 from teenage engineering I take out and use occasionally and a roland jdxi synth.

11 Likes

Mine is still under construction, but I love it!
122486805_3960085437340383_6158816193370641473_o|666x500

3 Likes

My home setup is finally complete as of yesterday!!

And this is where the music goes when it’s time to polish it up.

15 Likes

IVE BEEN THERE!!!

Steele, whats the unit right under the monitor ?

-PJ-

1 Like

…Just waiting on my 2400! : )

PJ
https://www.instagram.com/pjkatz.pts/

7 Likes

Moog Sub Phatty (I found someone almost giving it away on OfferUp, super fortunate find)

3 Likes

@wsteele , @pjkatzmusic, I’ve been there too! Great feel as soon as you walk in.

2 Likes

10 Likes

16 Likes

Nice! Especially that black and gold SP!!! Forat?

2 Likes

thanks yes , forat

3 Likes

Here is my Studio where I make ambient techno.

6 Likes

I cleaned my room to greet the S2400 :kissing:

8 Likes

4 Likes

:eyes:

12 Likes