Classic Engine vs Resample

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of my new s2400 and had a question:

Say I have a 16bit 48khz sample. When I switch from hifi to classic mode it seems like it converts the sample to 12bit 48khz. So what is the difference between switching from hifi to classic vs resampling the sample and saving it as 12bit 26khz? Maybe the only difference is that when resampling it goes through the input filters before being converted while switching to classic just converts without the filters?

Also, what happens when I take a 12bit 26khz sample and then switch the audio engine to hifi… it seems to convert the sample to 16bit 48khz?

Thanks so much, just trying to wrap my head around all of this…

1 Like

My understanding is that the classic engine uses drop sample interpolation and the hifi engine uses better sounding interpolation.(This is how it handles pitch shifting) So with a 16/48 sample you can add some grit by using the classic engine and not have to resample. For maximum dirt resample to 26khz which then defaults the classic engine. If more dirt is needed remove bits using the bit depth setting.

1 Like