Bug - Musical key notation using # (Sharp)

EDIT: Same with b (Flats symbol)

Some of my sample files are labeled with the key of the sound.
When transferring files to the S2400 SD card, any files that have a # (F#, A#, etc.)
Get rewritten to a (F0, A0, or some kind of zero symbol)
and it does not load or play on the S2400.

Is it a zero, or a rectangle? A rectangle in a file name indicates a character that the FAT32 file system cannot handle.

Can you upload one or two files here so we can see them?

In the first one, the last two files are actually F# on the SD Card.
The second pic the 3rd file down is a Dbm on the SC card. (with a true “flat” symbol, not a lower-case b)

When I look at the SD card on my PC is shows correctly, It’s just that the S2400 is showing it that wrong.

Thanks
SB

1 Like

Can you upload here a file with a sharp and one with a flat in it?

Here you go
First one is flat, second is sharp

I notice on the MPC Live II that those same files,
while they still play, the Flat/Sharp designation is missing with nothing else put in place of them, just a space.
I’m guessing that by the s2400 substituting that rectangle it is causing the file not to play or load.
As long as it plays would be ok, but if the designation (#,b) could also be kept, that would be ideal.

TL;DR: Fixed in dev and will be in next release.

Unicode characters in file and folder names are translated to code page 1252. Characters that do not translate are replaced with a block character. To read a file, the characters have to be translated back to Unicode. The block character does not translate back to the original character, so the file cannot be read. Therefore, any time you see a block character in a file or folder name, you can be assured that the S2400 will not be able to open the folder or read the file.

Because they are commonly used in music file names, I have added a conversion from the sharp and flat characters to two unused CP-1252 characters and added the sharp and flat symbols to the S2400 font.

Below is a screenshot showing the new characters and renamed versions of the files using a lower case b and a pound sign.

sharpflat

7 Likes

Wow! That’s awesome, Mickey.
Thanks for that!

2 Likes