1 year since Firmware update

Hey all,

Must admit I’ve been patiently wondering when the next firmware will be dropping was surprised to realise it’s been 10 months since the last one dropped. I’m sure there must be a lot of things that have been fixed and added and personally I’m really looking forward to it.

And the new filter board is a pretty exciting development. Wonder wether they will drop a firmware version before the release of the board.

Anyone else excited about the next firmware update? Isla havnt disappointed us in the past releases. :pray::slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Im excited :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah would love some news on this, been patiently waiting haha.

I saw a vid where they said it was mostly live loop stuff? Ngl that kinda dropped my hopes a little for many updates and fixes elsewhere, since I don’t use or intend to use it as a live looper. But hopefully I’m wrong in my assumption and we get some nice surprises like being able to step sequence at quantize value instead of just populated notes, wink wink nudge nudge, I cannot stop begging for it lol :joy: :pray:

2 Likes

There’s absolutely no way it’s going to be just live looper stuff. This will have plenty of improvements /fixes I recon. Maybe Santa will send us the firmware at Christmas haha

I have been a good boy all year tbf :innocent: :smile:

Fingers crossed anyway. I just want to keep my wish/dreamlist hopes at bay a liitle bit, until we see it, that way will hopefully be pleasantly surprised :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I know there will at least be fixes, since they have marked a lot of bug reports on here now it seems.

1 Like

:joy: Don’t worry man I trust in Brad and the team.

Santa Claus is coming soon :smile: :hugs: :partying_face: :pray:

Do I hear sleigh bells :santa:t2:

I’m waiting patiently for the new firmware too! But, to balance the conversation, I would say that an improved and actually usable looper is my only true wish. See, the reason I bought the machine in the first place was to use it as a flexible sketch pad for musical ideas, combining live instruments and samples. The machine was advertised to be “like RC-505” (which is a very advanced looper!), but current implementation with its 19,4 seconds of mono loops is a joke. However, from what I understood, the coming firmware will indeed make the looper much more powerful and flexible, making the S2400 a real centerpiece for me. That’s a thing worth waiting!

2 Likes

I’m with you on this one, the looper ticked the last box that tipped me over in to spend mode on the S2400……it just seemed like a genius stroke to add that in on top of the sampling sequencing functionality, and then the usb audio was the final icing on the cake. Funny but I actually imagined adding sampling functionality to a looper when using a boss 3 track looper years ago! It seemed to me to be an obvious thing to do, and now Brad, Mickey and Vlad made a 10 year old daydream of mine come true!! Life is good!!!

The new firmware will apparently add the possibility to use the entire looping limits across all eight tracks on one or more tracks so that would give 2.5 minutes approximately on one loop track. That should be plenty of time for live takes and those can then be chucked over to a sample pad afterwards to free up the looping slots.

Just gotta hope they release this new firmware in time Xmas and my S2400 arriving :pray:

3 Likes

Don’t mean to override this thread with looper related chitter chatter but I just realised what they are doing to increase the looper times - they are basically overriding an S2400 wide protocol that says ‘no more than 2 mb on any given track’ and allowing the user to alot sample time (loop time) from any of the loop tracks that aren’t used to one or more slots. Nice! So new rules have been implemented for Bank D that says ‘you alone can amalgamate your 2mb slots into one’.

I love this machine and the thinking that’s gone into it! and I haven’t even got mine yet LOL

2 Likes

Yes those looper improvements would really be killer !
Also wondering about the expansion card , these Isla guys love throwing in extra Kool features

not to play devil’s advocate, but i’m curious to know how folks would respond if the update doesn’t have all that they are wishing for included in it? demands have reached a fever pitch, the team has been tight lipped and the fact that it’s been ten months is kind of establishing for us a timeline of what to expect moving forward, as far as further updates are concerned.

personally, this machine does all that i needed and ever expected it to do. in fact, it exceeds expectations in some regards, but i also respect that not everyone makes music like me. beyond a few workflow tweaks, i’d even dare to say that the S2400 is close to being a finished project. again, that’s just in my own opinion. i personally don’t want it to be much more than it is and was intended to be.

2 Likes

The looper enhancements are a thing as far as I understand and you can see how extending the loop times is possible cos it’s just a track memory allocation protocol change. In theory they might be able to do the same for sample tracks…

But I think it could be useful if there was an explanation in non-codish language of the overall design concept of the S2400 that clarified for non-techy users how the functions of the unit are organised and what limitations the organisation imposes. Having said that I just listened to the group podcast chats that featured both the devs as well as Brad to get most of my insights.

1 Like

I totally get you actually I wouldn’t disagree that it’s almost finished . Having had it from such an early firmware version though I’ve seen really grow and become so much more than it was when it was released. Every firmware release has brought more stability and tons of improvements to workflow and features.
I don’t think or expect that this level of firmware evolution will continue indefinatelly however I do think that now that people have used it for so long there are probably a fair amount of small bug fixes and simple little improvements that may or may not be implemented.

Maybe we have been spoilt by previous firmware releases. I think the machine can continue to improve and evolve but expect these will now be smaller tweaks as like you say it’s pretty much finished .

2 Likes

A little feature I’d like to see for example Would be to be able to tweak the filter on the ‘sampling’ section or Atleast listen to the audio with the filter engaged .

Most of you know that I often say something nobody wants to hear but here goes: even though it has been 10 months, there is nothing that would guarantee us a more major update the longer we wait.

In fact, I think it is the opposite. Getting back into software projects is very very difficult after a break even if breadcrumbs were left… and at that point the project is at a very high risk of being abandoned completely. (Look at Kordbot. There must be other factors at play of course. But I am talking about software specifically)

1 Like

I disagree with you here. The mpc x has steadily been evolving and getting better over the years . When you have a project like this which is a labour of love I don’t think they would just stop after the first two years especially when there’s clearly things happening in regards to upgrade boards etc. And things that can be improved.

Hoping they continue to smooth out features and that you are wrong but appreciate your thoughts on it.

1 Like

Told ya… controversial stuff…

You disagree that it is difficult to get back in to the project and also risky? Your disagreement is based entirely on wishful thinking because you are using words like “hope”, “labor of love” etc. which is all emotions and it is okay. I also hope that the project isn’t abandoned and hope that a bugfix update is coming like everyone else here does. What I described is a possibility which you cannot deny. It doesn’t mean that this possibility is going to happen, though.

1 Like