What sampler is everyone coming from? Which are you keeping/Ditching?

Digitakt
Maschine
Deluge
Going to be keeping them all but planning on the S2400 to be the centerpiece.

1 Like

it’s true they are and if you aren’t really putting it to use and using the 3000XL more (which a lot of people do in spite of the legendary status of the 900/950) put it towards something else. Just to be clear the TR09 and 08 sound really good. It was the form factor for me that kept me away.

2 Likes

Hi,

Sampler I’ve owned in the late 80s and early 90s…:

• Korg DSS-1 (my first, more a synth than a sampler)
  • Akai S-1000KB (wish I’d kept it for it’s scarcity value)
  • E-mu E64

Sampler I´ve worked with over the years…:

• AudioFrame WaveFrame
  • Akai MPC60
  • Akai S-1100
  • Akai S-3000
  • E-mu EIII Keyboard
  • E-mu SP1200
  • NED Synclavier 9600 (one day we’ll meet again, promised)

Still own a…:

• Dynacord Add One + Add Dive (use it to create drum-sounds/samples with extra analog synthesis)
  • E-mu Emulator 2+ (use it to sample my mono/modular synths for more voices)
  • E-mu E6400 Ultra (use it to sample stereo content)
  • MakeNoise Morphagene (kinda must have in my modular)
  • Tasty Chips GR-1 (for polyphonic granular)
5 Likes

Any tips for GR-1? I have one on its way. I couldnt resist…the G.A.S. was way too strong…lol

I too have a GR-1- and find (for me) that pads and metallic percussive sounds do best. I like that it is kind of a happy accident machine, and its hard for me to predict what will come alive and what will just sound like a busy mess. Also recommend spending ~120 bucks to get a class compliant audio interface to allow direct sampling. I dont know if all class compliant interfaces will work(assume so) but to be sure, I followed Loopops lead and got a NI Komplete Audio 2.(2 Mic, 2Line). Next step is to take some walnut and build a case to keep them a single unit.

2 Likes

I decided to take action today and made a stand out of walnut I had in my garage. I need to finish sanding and stain/seal it but here is what an afternoon of work got me

12 Likes

I am keeping everything I own (I don’t have much):

1. MPC Live sampler
  2. JUNO-DS synthesizer
  3. D4 drum module
  4. DM5 drum module
  5. PT01 turntable
  6. RX1602 line mixer

I recently picked up an old MX-8 MIDI patchbay, so I’m going to connect them all that way… Will be using my MPC as the center of my studio and will be planning to tether my S2400 to everything via the MIDI patchbay. I intend to slave my S2400, JUNO-DS, and both the D4 and DM5 to my MPC Live…

I also want to be able to have the option of slaving my JUNO-DS, and both the D4 and DM5 to my S2400 (when I’m not really using my MPC Live).

Hopefully the MX-8 MIDI patchbay will allow me to do all of this…

1 Like

Welcome in :+1:

only in world#1 would we refer to that as not much :rofl: , lots there to make music for life justin :+1:

1 Like

I got rid of the TR-08 & 09 because I have the TR-8 & 8S already. Those plus all of the thousands of X0X samples I have on hard drives made me drop them. They were nice for sitting on the couch and putting together beats but found that I rarely just wanted to make drum patterns. Would rather use the Circuit, MC-101, or Deluge for sketching.

2 Likes

I’ve had this battle with drum machines for a long time and of course the original stuff Linn Drum, DMX, TR909, 808 etc are super expensive at this point. Not to mention part of what gave them their sound was compression and tape or being run through samplers. So I’ve generally used libraries pushed through samplers by Gold Baby because I started off primarily with software and it was easy to chop these up however you wanted in Ableton or whatever. The TR8S is the first dedicated drum machine I bought and really even that has some ability to handle samples but it also has two other things going for it, the size with faders and the TR8 & S make the TR808 and TR909 samples sound as if they’ve been run through that compression. In other words they sound like the records they were on more than the actual TR808/909 do straight.

1 Like

I guess you’re right! The only other thing I may look at getting is a back-up MPC… I like my MPC Live, but I know that battery ain’t going to hold a charge forever… It’s a very unique machine though. Feel like I made a REAL GOOD decision buying it over the MPC X initially… Put a 1TB HDD in it too…

I looked at the MPC One, but I’m not really sure that I’d want to get that because it’s lacking the extra assignable outputs the MPC Live has… HOWEVER, all the new MPCs share the same OS, so I feel like if I was to get a MPC X, I’d kind of be wasting money… Getting a MPC Live 2 wouldn’t be beneficial either, because I’d just be paying for the speaker!

3 Likes

but doesn’t the mpc also have a psu? so why worry about a new/spare one just for battery, surely the battery is replaceable? i haven’t looked inside one

i imagine it will be at least 5-7 years before the battery fail, start to fail, i would hope and even then i would be severely annoyed

if i had live i wouldn’t look at the one personally nor the 2, sure if you ever damage the #1 but until then it seems kind of consumer driven madness

no offence to anyone that did it, just my thinking - PS i don’t hug trees and i love fossil fuelled machinery

1 Like

Well, I don’t think I have the technical expertise to actually replace the battery in the event it fails. My current MPC Live won’t charge past 97%, so the degradation is starting… I’m just looking forward. I would attempt to get the battery replaced (they’re selling replacement batteries for $300), but in the meantime, I’d be out of my favorite sampler.

The MPC X is something I’m leaning toward… I did also look at getting a used MPC4000 or even a MPC2000XL, but even then I’d be spending about the same amount as a MPC X just to buy and probably restore the 20 year old components in those machines.

But, I digress… I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of anything… I would just add a back-up MPC and use the S2400 as an alternate way to sample music in my studio. I think I got instruments covered with the gear that I have now. That JUNO-DS has well over 1200 sounds in there (including drums) and I just bought the D4 and DM5 because I did want dedicated drum modules (can never have enough drums). They’re all hooked up to the RX1602 line mixer and I use the turntable when I want to sample records…

2 Likes

List of samplers (past and present).

Here’s my list of samplers past and present:

Casio SK1

Casio RZ1

Akai S612

Akai S950 (twice)

EMU E5000 Ultra

EMU E6400

Akai MPC 2000

Roland Fantom X8

Roland Fantom X6 (still got it)

Machine Studio (still got it)

Akai MPC Renaissance (still got it)

Akai MPC X (Still got it)

On my list is the EMU SP1200. But now that the Isla Instruments 2400 is here my order went in with no hesitation.

Still after an MPC3000 at some point I’ll get one.

Forgot to add in my Modular Samplers: (still have this lot)
Squid Salmple
ER 301 Sound Computer
1010 Music Bitbox
Make Noise Morphagene

3 Likes

Im considering ditching my ASR 10. I love the thing, and I got it maxed out and loaded with Scsi to SD but I dont use it a whole lot and its not a small keyboard… would probably regret the sale though.

1 Like

Coming from MPC 2000. Studio Black, Machine Studio, Korg Gadget, Yamaha SU700. Am I ditching them? That is shady! lol Those are my only friends. Tried and true.

2 Likes

Oh yeah 202 and 404 and The Blue and Red Korg Electribe’s . My homies! lol

1 Like

you are a person of taste…
I love my ASR10 , but unlike you the SCSI2SD was a game changer to me. Gone are the days of those Ensoniq CDR lying on the desk, they’re all on a thumbnail sized microSD now…

4 Likes

I have an mpc3000, sp404sx, Maschine and an fantom xr which i never use it sampling functions