What sampler is everyone coming from? Which are you keeping/Ditching?

Have owned or used:
akai S2000, CD3000XL, S950, mpc2000/2000xl
roland s760, tr-808
emu esi32, sp12

Still own and use
Mpc1000 and mpc2500 with JJOS

Never liked the workflow with rack samplers.
I may shock you but never really liked the sp12 neither. It has the sound many of us seek but too many limitations. Bad value for money imo.

Really look forward to hearing the feedback from the first buyers. Not being in the first 500 batch, still have to wait a couple of months I suppose :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response… Not that often in a forum!
Here are my tips for the GR-1…

1. read the manual :face_with_monocle:
  2. don’t use noname usb sticks and create enough folder on it
  3. get yourself a class compliant interface like StupidAmericanPig ( :thinking:) mentioned

…me too use the GR-1 for percussions, pads and weird in the back vocal stuff.

1 Like

My very first sampler was the Roland MS-1 which has a very interesting variable sample rate that I still enjoy using from time to time.
Upgraded to the MPC2000xl and used it for almost a decade until MASCHINE came out and I switched to that.
Then in 2017 Serato Sample dropped and I’ve pretty much used that (inside Logic Pro) ever since!

1 Like

EPS 16+ has my world and then came Ableton/Push2. So excited to get back to hardware!

5 Likes

I had it and I sold it: SU700, ESX1, RS7000, MC808, MPC1000(128XL), Octrack1, OP-1, AKAI LIVE 1, Microsampler, Vsynt 2.0, M3, Wave

I have and I do not use: SP505SX, SP555, MPC5000, MV8800, volca Sample :slight_smile:

I have and use: Deluge, Maschine+, Polyend tracer, GR-1, Force, Octratrack 2, MC707, Vsynth XT and GT, bitbox and morphagene, quantum (for granular)

Now Maschine+ is the best for sampling .

2 Likes

Yeah. You probably will regret it. How much are selling it for? :smile:

Dunno yet… Im going to spend some time this week and see if I can do some more studio tetris and get it closer to me to encourage more usage… If not Im going to find the average price of real transactions on reverb and sell it for the just slightly less than the average…

I currently use an MPC X. I also have a 2500 that I used for years, an ASR-10, and an SP-303. Also have a Micro Korg XL.

I’m renovating my apartment, so everything other than the X is in storage. But, I plan on breaking them all out and using them all once the second bedroom/quasi-studio space is set up.

I don’t plan on ever stopping using the X. It’s too much of a beast. I’m hopeful that the S24000 can supplement the setup (although I’m going to have to look into how I can use the 2400 and the X together).

1 Like

I can tell you right now that an MPC 4000 is most definitely the way to go.

Currently own an MPC-ONE, SP404A and an OP-1 may consider selling the MPC/SP when the 2400 arrives and buying a Maschine+ to try out or may just keep them.

I’m new here.

Looking forward to my S2400. (Ordered last week)

Currently I’ve got a bunch of samplers that I don’t really plan on selling.

SP1200
Studio 440
Prophet 2002 and 2000
ASR10 Keys
MPC60
MPC1000
S950
S700
S1000
S5000

I thrash the SP1200 and MPC1000.
Love the sound of the P2000
The S950 was my go to for many years and is amazing.

Many of the racks I got for free, so don’t really feel the need to sell.
I’m also a tech - so often repair / fix this sort of kit / outboard.

Regards
Mike

3 Likes

Still own

MPC X
MPC Live
MPC 2500 with large screen and JJOS
Maschine MK1

Since getting the S2400 I haven’t touched the MPC 2500 in a while. Having X/Live seems like over doing it but the Live has been very useful when I’m on the road. S2400 is the most inspiring.

3 Likes

How is the X/live compared to the MPC2500 with JJOSXLCD?

I have half of your setup (mpc2500 with big screen and s2400) and I have put the MPC back in its box so I m asking :slight_smile:

Same feeling than you. The s2400 is the most inspiring for me as well. Probably because it is new and it is at an exciting stage where we can request features, help finding bugs and help new users.

To a certain extent, it reminds me the 10 years I spent sending ideas to help improving all the different JJ OS versions :slight_smile:

I like the X/Live better. It’s a powerhouse with the effects and the ability to bounce the stems and track explode. I really think the 2500 is slept on compared to the 2000XL. I liked the master eq and compression on the 2500. So I took those settings and saved them on the X/Live. After doing that I really haven’t missed it. 95% of the time I’m using the X/Live in standalone.

4 Likes

Hey do you mind sharing those settings here? I’d love to put them into my MPC Live.

Im holding the following

MPC1000 + JJOS
maschine mk2
sp404sx
yamaha psr270

Sold my Roland sp808 ex. actually liked the machine alot but it wasnt ideal to hold on to it

had an MPC2000XL too but couldn’t vibe with it as it frustrated me more than anything so I opted for the 1000 (which btw I love more than any of the gear I have)

The sp2400 is dope so far but leaves alot to be desired – tons of bugs and quirks that have been bothering me but none the less very dope, best sounding device I have and I’m confident firmware updates will make this thing solid

1 Like

Same opinion. Expecting a lot about the firmware. This will make the difference in the end. Like the difference between an MPC with Akai OS and an MPC with JJ OS :wink:
Please make the S2400 a future vintage classic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Owned & sold: Mirage, Prophet 2002, Emax SE, MPC-2000.

Still have & use: DDD-1 w/sampling board, RZ-1. and use Ableton Push 2 with simpler, sampler, and various sampler plugins. For example, I made a fun drumrack full of Morgana instances, with macro control knobs per sound.

Waiting for: S-2400! I think it’s on a boat.

2 Likes

Newbie here. I picked up a Maschine Mikro years ago and I made a few little beats with it but it was hard to stick with it for me because I hated being tethered to the computer, especially when sampling from vinyl. I’ve always messed around with analog gear more and prefer that workflow and being in the moment. So the 2400 is like an answered prayer! Can’t wait to get mine.

3 Likes

My samplers:

Ensoniq EPSm (Rack version) - Still own.

Ensoniq EPS 16 Plus - Sold.

Emax II (Rack) - Sold. 🥲

EMU - SP1200 - bought new in 1993 for $1400,
sold in 1998 for $960… :flushed::nauseated_face:

Elektron Analog RYTM - Returned after numerous
Problems. No like.

SP-303 - still own. :heart_eyes:

SP-404 - still own.

TE Pocket Operator KO! PO-33 - still own.

Maschine MK3 - still own but looking to sell.

AKAI - MPC Live II - still own, Love.

ISLA S2400 - love more.

1 Like