What sampler is everyone coming from? Which are you keeping/Ditching?

That’s cool to know of the SP-16 I’ve heard some cool things w that and the TORAIZ and other newer things I’ve not tried. Someone I was speaking to on an MV (wound up getting from someone else) said they love the DJS-1000 and that’s what they use now

1 Like

I really love to test the limitations.

I did the same with the tightness of the sequencers and calculated the jitters (nothing scientific) on a few of them. It really explain a lot.

Mainly an ASR10 and MPC60. Also an EPS depending on the sound I’m going for with a specific track.

2 Likes

@StupidAmericanPig I’ve been hearing more and more praise for the SP-16 lately for this very reason. I really hope you’ll chime in about what you think of ease of use once you get your S2400.

My sampler history:
Casio FZ1 -> E-Mu Esi 4000T -> Kontakt -> MPC500 -> MPC5000 -> E-Mu EMAX1 -> Octatrack -> MPC Renaissance -> MPC Live.

Some of those I used in tandem like the MPC5000 with EMAX and Octatrack together, so the above is not a successor list.

I still have the MPC Live which is my main machine and the 500 which serves as decoration in the studio shelf :sweat_smile:
I will keep both and run the S2400 in conjunction with the MPC Live. It will be interesting how I can sync them up.

I really miss the FZ1 and the EMAX1.

1 Like

@otobot I forgot about the Casio FZ’s ! I had the rackmount FZ-10M back in '04. That was a great sampler and I got it for like 100 bucks cause no one knew what it was back then. That reminds me of when I got a S950 for $175 in '99 too. People are asking ridiculous prices for those grimey samplers now.

@iofflight the Sp-16 seems to not be a great choice for gigging or running a DAWless setup, but to me the practical limits of chopping samples with this box is the perfect balance between enough sound to keep it interesting and not too much audio to keep track of(When I use Ableton Push I feel that way, how to you stay in flow state when you can chop up 64 bars of music? I dont have the mental bandwidth for that) With the SP-16, 1-2 bars of something interesting and most days I can put a track together. The basic sound is also really good and has the prophet 6 filter built in which sounds great. Its not for everyone, but worth a look. I think it will be a great compliment to the S2400.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was a great sampler. I bought my keyboard version in 1996 for 1300 solid Deutsch Marks and sold it for not much less I think 98. It had the expansion to 2MB. Should have later re-bought it when they were available for 100€ during the noughties.
The S950 was available for ok prices not too long ago, but now the market is crazy, especially in Europe and for many of the classic machines. I have seen an MPC60II for 5000 bucks lol. That’s very optimistic haha.

Yeah those are crazy prices. I mean they sound really good just not good enough to pay crazy prices and deal with the hassle. Frankly it’s much easier to get around a synth without modern connectivity such as midi just due to how much the eurorack market has saturated synthesis at this point. Finding a multitude of Midi/CV converters or other clock sources is pretty easy. Not to mention you could just play it straight without any midi.

The sampler market hasn’t enjoyed the same resurgence, people still rely pretty heavily on DAWs to do sampling due to ease of use and endless sampling time. For most purposes this will do but for me sampling in a DAW has always lacked mojo and most of all pitch and time stretching in the DAW has never sounded right to me. I think Burial might be the only exception to this and there is no way I can work like that guy does in Soundforge.

just adding the 2400 to the house of samplers/drum machines, i don’t think it will replace anything but i truly hope it will become the mainstay of sampling

currently the sampling area is made up of Octatrack (my life love and inspiration master), maschine (11 years in with this one too), mc808 (love it for its old ways), yammy su10 (matchbox sampling in lofi), yammy a4k (faulty), rytm mk2 (say no more) , recently bought an sp808 which failed sadly - might look for another 1 day but i doubt it now the 2400 is coming

like many i have been through a lot of emu and akai over my years as an old fart :face_vomiting: :rofl:

one thing i have never owned is an mpc, used them across my years but never bought one

it is a damn shame we cant sample straight into TAL as i love that for a piece of software, still it is very nice to make instruments on to play, even if arguably it isn’t a live sampler

2 Likes

I sold my MPC2000xl to fund most of the S2400. TBH, the MPC wasn’t get much use since I moved to DAW production. I will certainly get use from the S2400 since it seems to be a better sampler and I like the live loop capabilities. To me the MPC was primarily a MIDI production unit.

1 Like

I’m coming from the MPC series and ASR-10 background. I’m not ditching anything. I’m adding on to it. I used to have e the original SP but sold it years ago because I needed the money💰. This is a chance to have a new improved/updated version of the SP to have with my gear. Including my S950 to boost that 90s grime even further.

5 Likes

Will also be running the S2400 next to my S950

3 Likes

The only way to go man. They’re like peanut butter and jelly. Batman and Robin. Lebron and D Wade.
Hot chocolate and mini Marshmallows

And I’m not even making hip-hop. Haven’t done for about 20 years but frankly it would be rude not to revive that with this combo :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I started with an S900 in the 90’s, still have but needs a repair. Moved up to an S3000xl for a long time so I know how to trim a loop blind folded.
Then I changed teams and begun the Electron rabbit hole with an Octatrack mkI and then later on a RYTM mkI which doesn’t really have much sampling control but has amazing filter/sound sculpting.
So I was on the fence on getting the S2400 many times cos I already own alot of gear, then the price hike convinced me. But also the stunning build quality, ever growing functions, and even the size of the thing. See my face when I opened my Roland tr08 for the first time, tiny little toy.

4 Likes

Omg when i first saw the TR08 I couldn’t believe those teeny tiny buttons and said forget it. Now there are some decent bouiques out there and I own 3 of them but none of them are the drum modules. The TR8S is far away better imo. Also get your S900 fixed. I just had the PSU on my S1100 repaired.

Hmm…samplers I owned :

Akai S900
Akai S2800
Akai MPC 60
Akai MPC 3000
Akai MPC 2000XL
Emu SP12
Emu SP1200

4 Likes

Yeah I know.
Might even sell it, they’re going for crazy prices right now.
I’m happy with my tr08. It sounds good enough to me, you can pitch up and down, and turn the gains up to get some crunch.