Tempo and Pitch Calculators

This might be posted in other threads in few different ways but I wanted to elaborate on how it was described and have it concentrated in its own dedicated feature request.

Request is for a built in calculator to the s2400 that calculates and implements tempo changes via pitch changes automatically. Use case would be if you know the tempo of your source material (loop) and you want to pitch up or down to a different tempo precisely you can do that more easily by inputting the source tempo and the desired tempo.

There are simple calculators online that do this and I have been just using that with my phone but would be cool to be built in the box. This is independent of time stretch.

Link to such a calculator: Tempo and Pitch Calculators - Online | TheWhippinpost

This thread MIGHT be getting at the same thing - not sure: One button press to pitch to tempo

2 Likes

Here’s a spreadsheet that does that and a few other calculations. I realize it’s pretty much the same thing as whippingpost but for me anyway it’s easier to use on phone or keep open on computer. Also calculates time to BPM and sample length to BPM. Would def be cool to have native to the s2400, I imagine something like it will come when timestretch is developed.

Exactly! Yea I remember this post - same concept.

Not hard to achieve outside the box but might be a commonly used feature if built-in. Since most sample packs now include tempo in the file name it would make it really easy.

Here’s what I use.

1 Like

I have updated the S2400 Beat Calculator I have created:

2 Likes

I updated my Beat Calculator. It now includes 3 separate sheets for 48K, 44.1K & 26K. Also added a Loop Trim calculation. This is to easily show the loop length in samples after changing the Loop Start and/or End points. Excel .XLS format:
Beat Calculator

2 Likes

can anyone explain the conversion between a measurement in samples to the time convention used in the s2400 (milliseconds.samples)? I would like to use these calculators for measuring loop lengths etc and can’t get the timing to work well.

S2400 uses Minutes:Seconds.Milliseconds + sub value (Min:Sec.Msec) 00:00.000+00
I just updated the Beat Calculator. I have added a Loop Time calculator:

Set your S2400 sample Start & End points. Enter the values (without the + sub value) into the Beat Calculator Loop Trim formula. This will calculate the Loop Time. Then you have the Loop Time in seconds to use in the formula above to determine the BPM

2 Likes

edit: solved my issue. thanks for the spreadsheet!

1 Like

I thing this is a brilliant idea. I’d love to see a record speed setting in sample settings which will automatically adjust the pitch of the recorded sample i.e. 33.33 = no change to pitch, 45 pitch down, 78 pitch down more.

1 Like

I added cells with a drop down list to select the original RPM and the Pitched RPM. Example, if you sampled a 33 1/3 RPM record played at 45 RPM, you would select 33 1/3 in “Original RPM” cell then select 45 in “Sampled RPM” cell. If you didn’t change the speed selection then just keep both at 33 1/3. I haven’t added 78 RPM yet because I don’t have that option on my turntable in order to test it, but I may add it in the future:
Added RPM
Beat Calculator

LMK if this works