Step edit - navigate to next step/bar?

That was tnkz76 picture :slight_smile:

Not sure if we’re talking about the same thing but on my picture above f9 is used for “lock all faders”.

The need to lock all faders in step edit mode is probably low so if it can be replaced with something better why not :slight_smile:

Just realised it was actually a combination of both of your guys’ pics that got me there, so thanks to both of you haha.

If you hit F2 in “step edit params” it takes you into “number view” and in that mode (which is very similar to the MPC step edit view), both F7 and F9 are free (as is F8).

Excuse the crappy pics and my low budget screen protector :laughing:

1 Like

I wish the list view was the default, I don’t like using the fader view for step edit.

So it does appear you can navigate to different steps using F1 and F3 but it does it in a weird 9rder. I.e I think it cycles through every track that uses the current selected step, and then it will cycle to the next used step in the list. I can’t think why I would ever find that more useful than navigating to the next step for the selected track. In fact I would want to be locked on that track list settings unless I chose to the change the track using the pads as a track selector. This could be an alternative option for cycling to the next step.

3 Likes

Yeah F1&3 navigate to the previous and next sound/trigger/note, regardless of track, and cycle through all the populated steps in the sequence. F4&6 navigate to previous and next populated note for the chosen track. And in the future hopefully F7&9 navigate to previous and next step of the chosen track at chosen quantize setting, regardless if it’s populated or not :wink: haha

I think it can be useful and come in handy to have all 3 options tbh, so I wouldn’t replace take out either of the current 2, but yeah, just being able to step through the whole sequence of a chosen track as well, would be a lot more useful than either of those for me.

I also agree, I prefer the list edit too tbh. This could be solved by allowing for saving of templates which load up at the start, but that is a whole other thread, and I feel like they’re probably going to address this as it’s definitely been requested.

Nice. I’ll play with this tonight. I not sure I am as fussed about navigating to unused steps, but guess I see a use case for all options.

Although one related bug bear, I would like to click on an unused step whilst in list step edit. At the moment you can’t add steps when in this view. Ideally I would be able to manually add a step using the step buttons and the list will then point to that added step.

Yeah this is precisely my point. So you can sequence this way.

1 Like

Once you have chosen number view, it seems to remain in number view even after powering off and starting a new project, just noticed, nice. :+1:

1 Like

Exactly.

Imo, it is super clunky and non-intuitive. Very difficult to use.
Selecting tracks/samples vs. navigating seq-steps should be totally separated (edit/button wise) from each other.
I never use or dislike using Step-Edit because of this (as well as the mentioned default fader-view; as I much prefer list-view as well).

2 Likes

I must say using F4 and and F6 does alleviate the need for another shortcut. But… I would like to be able to use this edit capability agnostic to which setting I am working on. I.e at the moment if I want to change the level on each step, after editing step 1, I have to press back, navigate to the step position setting above, click in, then press f6, then press back, navigate to level setting adjust, then press back, then press f6, and so on. It would be more intuitive to have a dedicated step navigate control. And perhaps this is why it might better to use the >> buttons.

Fyi I love this machine but improved editing workflow is really possible and will make this a beast to work with. At the moment it’s a little fiddley for detailed editing, and not in a ‘limits increase creativity’ way. I actually find editing on the SP404 faster. Which shouldn’t be the case as the hardware available on the S2400 runs circles around the SP404. Also, the S2400 has almost great options for editing, so it’s not far off being perfect for the job. Hopefully these constant suggestions don’t sound like moaning. I work in reviewing code/data tools so it’s in my nature to nitpick, haha.

2 Likes

Alleviate the need for what?

Sorry had posted send to quickly. Rookie error :grin:

1 Like

Plsssssss do the MPC style step editing where you can edit a track at a time and just navigate through notes/sequencer steps for that one track within the pattern. Am tempted to get an MPC just for this functionality, which would be such a waste.

2 Likes

No worries.

Thanks for your input. It’s really cool to see sw devs here :stuck_out_tongue:

The transport controls are already in use for editing values though, which I quite like tbh. Just adding the step function to F7&F9 in number view still gets my vote tbh. Also seems like it would be the easiest to implement, given the slots are already free. Plus that doesn’t remove any features and gives us 3 flavours of stepping through then, which would be excellent.

Imo… nah, lol.
I don’t think anyone really likes the current F1, F3, F4, F6… they are too clunky, non-intuitive, confusing (as they navigate both sounds and steps at the same time and are not separated) and should just be totally removed and redone as classic MPC style, imo. Nice, clean and simple.

Have a separate way for track/sound selection - hitting a pad (locked on it during step navigation, until hitting a different pad)
&
Have a separate way for navigating thru steps - <<< >>> buttons or F buttons

1 Like

Well, I already use both and find them pretty damn useful and here’s one use case. Fake delay, ie repeated notes that gradually decline in volume, i can currently easily step to the next populated step on a track change volume, next step, change volume and so on. If that were replaced I would first have to change the quantize setting to the “delay” timing, creating another step in the process.

Having the option to adjust values with something other than the data wheel is also essential, for at the very least 2 reasons, one being precision, and the other being if the data wheel starts acting funky.

Also F7 & 9 are right above enter, making it a pretty ergonomic spot, and like I’ve said, they’re already free.

1 Like

We have the locator buttons already. It’s important that the unit has some degree of consistency across all of its menus for better UX. We can have it do everything we want but it also needs to be organized in such a way that it makes sense. The easiest to me is using the locator buttons because it is logical from the UX point of view.

The problem that I am having with S2400 most of the time is that F-keys’ functionality doesn’t feel consistent across menus. What the keys do is absolutely great and all but after almost a year of using the unit I still forget what they do all the time. (I’ve been using S2400 exclusively)

I wish I could participate in the conversation and provide suggestions, but I cannot even remember what any of those F-keys do. And I’m not even exaggerating. In my opinion, that is a pretty good indicator that the process isn’t very intuitive.

We shouldn’t be suggesting to populate the F-keys even further because it will only bring more issues in the long future

1 Like

Don’t forget F0 brings up the menu that tells you what they do in whatever page you’re in.

The transport controls are linked to values across A LOT of the machine, meaning it would make it less consistent to use them in this case than using the F keys, which are already assigned to very similar tasks in the same menu to the feature requested.